• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer restarts without warning or BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PlayerHunter

Registered
I've been experiencing these really annoying restarts of my computer. There is no bluescreen, just an instant restart. It doesn't appear to be related to what I am doing at the time, because it happens when idle, gaming, surfing the web, whatever.

I know from some articles what the typical causes are, but these are very general. I'm looking for some more concrete ideas on what exactly could be causing these restarts.

I've eliminated som possibilities.

Not a heat issue.

Not a overclocking issue. I've tried all sorts of combinations, including going back to stock. Still randomly restarts. Besides, when it's overclocking related it always shows a bluescreen when I'm not giving it enough volts.

Not a RAM issue. Checked the individual blocks. Previously one of them had a fault because it failed to boot with just that block in. I have since replaced it and all blocks are now working fine.

Not a HDD issue. Ran a scan of the Harddrive, no faults, bad sectors and so on.

No virus according to a scan.

I'm starting to get worried that it might be a motherboard fault, however unlikely. I've experienced it before with a previous build though, so I don't know. The only other thing I can think off that would save me the trouble of buying a new motherboard is a software issue. Some program causing the restarts, a driver maybe.

As an interesting sidenote, possibly related to this I don't know. If I download and install the latest Nvidia drivers, 320.18, it causes the driver to crash from time to time with the message that the drivers has stopped working and has recovered. Happens as soon as I'm doing anything other than just letting the computer sit idly on the desktop. Even when browsing the web. The cursor will start to stutter and eventually freeze. Sometimes the whole computer just freezes, and I have to restart the computer. This doesn't happen if I install the previous 314 drivers. Even so, this doesn't seem to be what causes the sudden restarts anyway, just thought I would mention it.

Has anyone had any experiences with these sudden restarts and found it to be related to some specific driver or program? I really could use your help. I'd really rather not have to format the entire harddrive. Or take the motherboard to a pc repair shop any pay for it.

I understand the inconvenience of emptying the entire drive, but the only way to completely eliminate the possibility of software related issue (including virus etc) at this stage is to run a clean Windows installation. If problem persists, then it's probably a hardware issue. Make sure you remove all OC from bios before re-installation.

If you haven't done so already, partition your drive into different partitions so that the next you re-install you don't have to wipe your data. Also make a recovery image after the full installation with drivers etc so you can use it to re-install much faster in the future in case you need to.

Corsair HX 850. Plenty of wattage and a quality unit. Since its random, I personally didnt look there first, but could be he issue.

Does the event log show anything immediately prior to shutdown?

I understand the inconvenience of emptying the entire drive, but the only way to completely eliminate the possibility of software related issue (including virus etc) at this stage is to run a clean Windows installation. If problem persists, then it's probably a hardware issue. Make sure you remove all OC from bios before re-installation.

If you haven't done so already, partition your drive into different partitions so that the next you re-install you don't have to wipe your data. Also make a recovery image after the full installation with drivers etc so you can use it to re-install much faster in the future in case you need to.

Corsair HX 850. Plenty of wattage and a quality unit. Since its random, I personally didnt look there first, but could be he issue.

What kind of power supply do you have?

No event log is displayed, it just restarts like you hit the button.

A lot of helpful information there. Luckily, I have an external drive that I keep a bunch of files on as well as installation files for various programs. The only thing I'll have to do before doing a clean install is find all those damn save files for my games and save those. At least the ones that involve games where I have worked hard on completing challenges and unlocking stuff.

The power supply as mentioned is a quality unit and I am detecting no overheating.

Please keep it coming. It's my hope someone will come up with a program that could be the cause of this. Also, if anyone knows why my graphics driver crashes when running the latest version, please chime in.

I'm saying look at the event log (LINK). ;)

How would we know what program you have installed on your PC that would cause this? We dont know the applications you have installed...

So far the options I see are (in no order)

*Test your system with another PSU if possible
*Reinstall windows and see if it still happens
*Tried switching plugs/outlets?

Let us know how that goes...

How would we know what program you have installed on your PC that would cause this? We dont know the applications you have installed...

I know you don't know what programs I have installed, I was just hoping someone would say that they had the same problem and found it to be caused by such and such program, which I might have installed.

Anywho, opened the Event viewer thingy. It happened for me today, and there is indeed an error logged at that time. Here is what it says from application.

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

And here a warning from system.

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_CANON&PROD_MG6200_SERIES&REV_0200#7&3262A150&0&716B40&0#.

That first error seems to suggest that your PC is running with >99% load:
...AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99...

Maybe you should use the task manager and performance monitor to see if there are any running processes using excessive amount of resources? Also look for any suspicious running process and check your startup programs.

Edit: Some quick googling suggests that the error can be triggered "if the WMI filter is accessed without sufficient permission" and " a network inventory program is making WMI calls on a regular basis, and is being denied". But who's making these WMI calls? Note that in this thread, the third post says

Found this solution tonight, thought you would like to try it.... I fix my problem, Windows Vista 64 Bit ultimate is now stable and clean.

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected

The error above is cause by two Root Worms! here are their names: Tok-Currhatus-1233 and Bron-Spizaetus, their is also an unknown Root kit Called "Empty"

I was experiencing the same issues, here is a way to test to see if infected, by the way virus scanner will not detect this root kits....

1. In the search bar, of windows Vista typ MSCONFIG, if infected the system will shutdown and restart.

2. Try to download any Windows updates, system will shutdown and restart.

Solution

1. Start your system in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. run MSConfig
3. In the Startup tab, Disable Tok-Cirrhatus, Bron-spizaetus, Empty and nay other startup system that it is not recognized, (Hint, type the name in google and it will tell you what it is)
4. run virus scanner and remove the Root Worm's

Restart and system is now clean.

Definitely perform the above tests to see if there're any potential unwanted apps launching themselves at system startup. Very often trojans/worms can avoid detection by anti-virus software.

That second error seems to be related to USB memory sticks, as mentioned here. It does not appear to be a serious issue that can cause your symptoms.

Last edited:
That first error seems to suggest that your PC is running with >99% load:
...AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99...

Maybe you should use the task manager and performance monitor to see if there are any running processes using excessive amount of resources? Also look for any suspicious running process and check your startup programs.

Edit: Some quick googling suggests that the error can be triggered "if the WMI filter is accessed without sufficient permission" and " a network inventory program is making WMI calls on a regular basis, and is being denied". But who's making these WMI calls? Note that in this thread, the third post says

Definitely perform the above tests to see if there're any potential unwanted apps launching themselves at system startup. Very often trojans/worms can avoid detection by anti-virus software.

That second error seems to be related to USB memory sticks, as mentioned here. It does not appear to be a serious issue that can cause your symptoms.

Sadly, I just had another crash, even after applying the supposed fix for this problem. I can't see any reference to the same error around the time it restarted. I have no idea what's the cause. I can't even see any error in the Event Log, just the one saying that the system unexpectedly shut down. No hint of what caused it.

Please help me Obi-Wan Overclockers, you're my only hope.

Have you tried any of these yet?

WpdBusEnumRoot

USB keyboard driver error, logitech.

Check your USB devices and drivers.

Have you tried any of these yet?

WpdBusEnumRoot

USB keyboard driver error, logitech.

Check your USB devices and drivers.

I'm trying another PSU right now, an identical Corsair HX 850W unit. I'll let you know if it restarts.

I don't know if it could be the keyboard. Interesting error. But last time the computer restarted it didn't show any error at the time of the restart. So I'm going with either the PSU which I will know for certain in a couple of days, or the motherboard.

I might have to get it checked at a pc workshop.

I really hope that it's not the motherboard, or I will be forced to buy a new board and cpu. If that happens, I'm going to have to be smart because of the cost. The most effective combination of power and price I've been able to come up with is a AMD AM3+ socket 990FX board, with a AMD 6-core 6300 CPU. Looks like a significant upgrade from my Intel i7 960, and at a very good price to performance ratio too. I can get both items at 280 USD.

Not bad.

But I'd much rather save up for the GeForce GTX 760 and replace my 560ti. The 760 is getting 75% more frames easy in various games, sometimes approaching double the frames.

Just happened again a few minutes ago. I don't see another probable cause other than the motherboard. Unless someone has another idea as to why my computer is suddenly restarting?

The errors you've posted all point to driver issues.

If you've installed new HW or SW, look into that. Perhaps a driver update problem.

Really there isn't enough info given to help diagnose more thoroughly.

FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2

This could be a service pack problem. Be sure your windows installation is fully up to date with all service packs too.

The errors you've posted all point to driver issues.

If you've installed new HW or SW, look into that. Perhaps a driver update problem.

Really there isn't enough info given to help diagnose more thoroughly.

This could be a service pack problem. Be sure your windows installation is fully up to date with all service packs too.

You mentioned software. Are you aware of any programs that have caused restarts?

If you can't resolve this issue, I would at least try a clean Windows installation before you start replacing hardware. Just my 2 cents.

Back