• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer shuts down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cashboxer

Registered
I can spend hours looking through old posts for this, but I don't have that much time right now. I made a change on my rig about 3 weeks ago and had to reset the bios, loosing all my settings that took so long to tweak. I think I have everything almost back to normal, but sometimes it will shut off in the middle of the day. I ran Memtest86 and had no errors. What else do I need to check for this particular problem?

If someone will post the form to fill out with voltages, I can do that.

I'd check your power settings first then if its actually shutting off not just going into standby or sleep I'd suspect your Rosewill power supply as being the problem. Have you done any testing to see if your overclock is stable or not? Does this same problem happen at stock settings?

I tried to speed up the ram by changing the strap. Big mistake. I have had it running Prime (small ffts) for 5 hours and no errors. My temp under 100% load is 59. A little high, but my idle temp is 42.

correct me if i am wrong but that board lets you save BIOS profiles.

Are you remembering to save your current profile before you go an tweak your stable settings? Remembering to do that will save alot of headaches.

Have you ever had it crash in front of you?
You sure the power is clean?

The last time it crashed, I was working on a Tiff image and had it just about ready to save as a proof for the costumer, and snap, it went dead and booted back up. This computer is used for work and I don't do any gaming. I need speed and muscle to process the images that I work with. Someone else said that you should be able to save the settings too, but I went through the book 2 times looking for any mention of being able to save, and nothing. I went through the bios and didn't find anything. There is a setting to load defaults or load optimized settings, not anything to save settings. If anybody else had a DFI P35 Blood Iron, let me know if I am missing something.

The last time it crashed, I was working on a Tiff image and had it just about ready to save as a proof for the costumer, and snap, it went dead and booted back up. This computer is used for work and I don't do any gaming. I need speed and muscle to process the images that I work with. Someone else said that you should be able to save the settings too, but I went through the book 2 times looking for any mention of being able to save, and nothing. I went through the bios and didn't find anything. There is a setting to load defaults or load optimized settings, not anything to save settings. If anybody else had a DFI P35 Blood Iron, let me know if I am missing something.

Try running Prime95 Blend and monitor temps while its running, Small fft's will point out CPU problems, Blend will show CPU/Ram/NB problems.

Larry

It has not shut off randomly anymore. I didn't change anything. It may start doing it again in a day or two. Also, I think the hard drive is part of my problem. Just to open a program, takes more time than this machine should take. My laptop, at 1.3 GHz and only 1 Gig of ram boots faster and opens Firefox faster. It seams like my hard drive is always running. Maybe a raptor will help.

Back