• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer specs - good, bad, ugly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amossss

Registered
Hi there

I got 3 specs and I want to know which is better and whether the parts "talk to each other".
Also which is considered better for HD: Western Digital or Toshiba?
Also, do the graphic adapter contain both VGA and DVI? I didn't understand if they do or just support that.

Thanks!

Attachments

• dell.png
    dell.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 73
  • ivory.png
    ivory.png
    26 KB · Views: 61
  • ksp.png
    ksp.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 65
1. No setup is 'better' for a brand of HDD...
2. The motherboard on these will have the DVI/HDMI outs.
3. As far as better, these are all low spec really. I don't see one with a discrete video card. Do you plan on gaming? If so, none of these out of the box will do well on modern games.

What are your uses for this PC? If you can tell us that, perhaps we can then point out which is better. As it stands though, the 3rd one is the better PC at least CPU wise.

My bad, I forgot to give this info:
1) Only the first one (top/left) is prebuilt - the other 2 are components based and can be changed as I want it to.
2) I mostly use my computer for browsing, Office and most important: android development which is the real problem with my current computer. I use AVD with 1.5GB memory. No gaming.
3) Regarding HDD: I meant which is considered better generally speaking: Toshiba or Western Digital
4) Regarding the third one (bottom): I understand that it is overclocked? Someone told me that the motherboard won't handle the CPU too good. I don't know if he's correct.

1. Ok.
2. Then you don't need a discrete GPU
3. Either or. The difference between those brands are negligible.
4. Its not overclocked. That motherboard will handle it fine with moderate overclocks.

For your uses, any will do. That said, what is your budget? Perhaps we can spec one out and you can build it yourself? I am not impressed at some of the PSU choices they made. While plenty serviceable, you can likely do better for the same cash.

The third one you would want to change the motherboard to a Z97 board. There are a lot of good boards on sale right now.
And it doesn't list how much ram you are wanting to put into your system.
I wouldn't think you would need a GPU for development.
WD would be my brand of choice but that is pretty much all up to you on your brand choices.

@EarthDog

The seller who wrote down the 3rd spec (bottom) with the K, told me the cooling system (arctic alpine) he wrote himself is not good enough and I should get a better one - he didn't explain why. Another seller in another store, told me the first one didn't know what he's doing (the overclocked issue I wrote about (I thought this is the reason for the need of a better cooling system)) and gave me the second spec. (top/right) so each tells me based on his interests, this is why I decided to ask here to get non-biased answers.

When today I work with Android Studio, I install Intel's HAXM accelerator that comes with Android Studio, is this what you were talking about?
Regarding the budget, as you saw from the spec. I live in Israel so I'm not sure if the budget is relevant here because we have our prices :) anyway, the prices of the above is around 760-800$

@rayraysfunhouse

In what way z97 is better? were you referring to the spec with the K cpu?
All 3 are talking about 8GB ram to be installed

Regarding GPU: when today I work with Android Studio, I install Intel's HAXM accelerator that comes with Android Studio, is this what you were talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Z97 boards are alot better boards to overclock on. They will handle more torture and be able to take the extra temperature. They also have a bios that has better overclocking control.

8gb of ram is what I was going to recommend, you're good there.

Not quite. A descreet graphics card can handle more graphics intesive programs. Integrate graphics like what you will be using in all of these builds are good for what you will be doing. But if you would like to add in a seperate graphics card that will handle a little more we could always recommend one. But there will be little benefit for what you will be doing.

@rayraysfunhouse, thanks a lot for your input, so no need for a GPU. So for now the recommendation is the 3rd (bottom) one and to replace the motherboard with the z97 (maybe instead of the better cooling system). Z97 have both VGA and DVI outputs? (I didn't understand from the spec. if the H97 has it or just supports it.

Yes most will have both. Just went to newegg and searched z97 and the first three had both. Just look around for the board that will have what you want in your price range. Gigabyte, Asrock and ASUS are all pretty good choices.

I wanted to thank all of you for your time, effort and good intentions and especially for your help!

Back