• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Wont Post!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KFume

Registered
Hello,

Just roughly put together my computer so I can install windows while I wait for accessories to come in to finish the build. When I go to turn it on, NOTHING!
I checked the cables, checked if all the components were snug in there slots, changed the ram, still nada. I'm using AX1200i and it has the 'test' feature (you press the test button to power the PSU) so, when I use the test button it doesn't power. I'm not sure if this is the issue but I tested my PSU without the 24-Pin plugged in and it powers on, why?. Or perhaps a short in the 24-Pin, I don't know. Any thoughts?

Short the 24 pin and see if it comes on if it does, I would take it all apart and put it back together just to make sure you didn't miss something.

I had to short the 24-Pin to fill the loop so the PSU is functional. Graphic cards are also functional because I had them in a different system previous to this system. Motherboard power button does light up but the system wont turn on. I also took all PCI cards I had installed in the motherboards besides the GPU's, nothing.

Well then the normal trouble shooting applies, try it with just the cpu and see if it posts, 1 stick of ram in each slot, try using just the on board video etc...

I'm sitting here looking at my computer and I can't believe this is happing. Computers, you love them but you hate them. I really don't wont to rip everything apart, I have acrylic tubing installed. Can it be the placement of the SLI configuration?

I want to let you guys know that I've tested all the components except the CPU and motherboard. But since the motherboard power button lights up I assume its not the board, could it be the CPU? DOD CPU, or bent pins? Can bent pins cause the system not to boot, I guess it depends on with pins because I had an issue with bent pins on a older system but it stilled booted but it would turn of after a few seconds.

Have you tried assembling the board outside the case?

I'm trying to avoid taking it apart, I put a lot of hours assembling the acrylic tubing, if I can't resolve it by today I will take it apart tomorrow. This sucks.

Alright, I lifted the CPU Block and the motherboard pins are fine. I going to assemble the PC out of the case. Wish me luck!

I assembled the parts on to the desk. Same issue as when it was in the case.

1. When all the cables are plugged in and I try to turn the system on with the power button on the motherboard the memory led's light up but nothing else, no pump, fans, etc. and I can turn off the memory led's by holding down the power button, in this configuration holding down the test button on the PSU does nothing.

2. If I remove the 24-Pin from the board and PSU and press the test button on the PSU the power button lights up, memory led's lights and flash and the debug led lights up. The debug led reading is a strange error, looks like an incomplete 0. The BIOS led's light up and flash back and forth, Also the pumps, fans and fan controller start working.

I'm starting to think the board is messed up, but why? Will have to contact Gigabyte? I bought this board from NewEgg in October. This is my first time trying to get it on. I should of tested it once I got it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20140123_145830.jpg
    IMG_20140123_145830.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20140123_150307.jpg
    IMG_20140123_150307.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20140123_150113.jpg
    IMG_20140123_150113.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 64
Well try pulling the ram out and try one stick at a time in each slot, then maybe try pulling out the gpu's and run it on the on-board video. You could also try pulling the cpu block off and re mounting it, I've seen occasions where the cpu heatsink was causing some sort of short and the rig wouldn't post.

I've remounted the CPU block already and switched up the RAM. I'm going to try pull out the video cards next.

Just pulled out the GPU's and still no luck! Do I have any other options besides contacting Gigabyte.

Have you tried a different power supply. I know it passes the self test but it is the last piece before you look at the mobo as culprit. Is it new or was it in another computer ?

Have you tried a different power supply. I know it passes the self test but it is the last piece before you look at the mobo as culprit. Is it new or was it in another computer ?

I'm glad I took your advice. I plugged in my AX860i and BOOM! motherboards boots, also it seems that my M_BIOS was corrupted and it started to load the B_BIOS. I find that strange, I never used this board how it got corrupted I don't know. I tried plugging my AX1200i back into the board with no success. This makes me think that since my pumps, fans, fan controller work of the AX1200i but not the board, maybe it's a faulty 24-Pin?

I don't know if it's the 24 pin or what the cause of the PSU not working properly could be. You would have to plug it into a PSU tester or go at it with a multi meter to find the real cause of the weakness. If you can get a multi meter or if you have one there are several guides around the net on testing your PSU with one. If your not familiar with using a meter on a PSU it is highly advised to use the guides least you poke a prong into the wrong place with current flowing and having your hair doo ending up in a permanent Don King style would be the least of your problems. Electrocution is painful :D

Of course your PSU is a Corsair so your good if it's new or less than 5 years old. RMA that sucker :D

Back