• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused with my budget build..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdsempy

Hey everyone ;

Just built a new budget pc strictly for emails,browsing etc, here are the parts.

~AMD Sempron 145
~MSI 760GM-P23 AM3 motherboard
~Patriot Signature 2GB DDR3 1333
~Hitachi TravelStar 320GB SATA HDD
~SHAW GT-DF1 GT-Defence-One USB3.0 with Evo-775Max PSU ( I read the max watts this thing can do is about 350w )
~Asus DVD drive

Now when I first finished putting it together and turned it on, it would stay on for 2 seconds, then just shut off, the LED light on the front panel lights up,all the fans spin in that brief 2 second period. This went on for about half an hour of me trying to figure out the issue. It wouldn't turn on again,unless I power cycled it, unplugging the power cable, pressing the power button to drain it,then trying again with the power cable in and powering it on.

I tried everything from unplugging the HDD,DVD drive, removed the heatsink and re sitted the CPU, checked all cables etc, removed the ram, still the same problem. So I left it as it is to do some research online.

Then about..5-10mins later, without doing anything else, it turned on and remained on...

It's been running 12 hours straight, cpu hovers around 34 degrees, I shut it off, 2 hours later turned it back on and it worked no problem. Installed windows, customised bios settings for fan speed etc

Anyone know why it refused to stay on initially?, then all of a sudden worked out of the blue, I'm a bit worried it's intermittent and will shut off maybe during a cold boot or so in a few days. Possible bad power supply?, cmos battery?, hope it's not the motherboard..

Thanks.

Last edited:
can't give you a positive answer without knowing more... but i'd venture a guess it was bios related...

simply put it likely had issues figuring out the ram/cpu and the like... most likely reason. now that it knows what it has, probably won't have the problem again.

AGAIN that's just a guess. could be something else all together. just don't know with the info you've provided.

Back