• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting a water cooling cycle to a tap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The #1 problem would be condensation.

If you want to go with extreme cooling beyond a "typical" water loop, I suggest looking into a vapochill or something along those lines.

The next logical question - why ask two very short, relatively related questions in two different threads?

Hi guys
has anyone ever connected his water cooling cycle to a tap? It would be a waste of water but water is free in my place :D

I wondered about it myself, it would undoubtedly work , as in it would lower your temps , but its just to darn inconvenient , first their gonna be just to much hose and if their is a pressure jump it can cause leaks , their alot more problems with this idea that i found but at this time cant recall them all :D

it's ok for a quick bench but for 24/7 use it's a major waste of perfectly good water which we are running out of and all the other reasons listed here.

Absolutely don't use tap water, there's too much other stuff in the water. It'll ruin most of the stuff in the loop. You want to use distilled water.

Besides the poor water quality (unless you have a RO under sink setup) 1 GPM min flow rate times 60 minutes times 24 hours times 30 days. I imagine whoever does pay your water bill will catch on pretty fast.

Average house with 4 people uses 6210 gallons per month. You would use 43,200 gallons per month.

Average house with 4 people uses 6210 gallons per month. You would use 43,200 gallons per month.

...to repeat an over used expression, that's an Olympic swimming pool every 15 months. :eek:

Water pressure wasn't mentioned though, I doubt your system would survive 50-70 psi should you open the tap too far.

You need a ground loop, as was mentioned in your other thread. Digging a nice trench is good exercise.
Keep at it though, never know where the next breakthrough comes from.

Hi guys
has anyone ever connected his water cooling cycle to a tap? It would be a waste of water but water is free in my place :D

Have you even thought of the logistics to make this work?

Absolutely don't use tap water, there's too much other stuff in the water. It'll ruin most of the stuff in the loop. You want to use distilled water.

How long would it take for distilled water to get as bad as tap water? How often do you change your water?

Environmentalist will LOVE you !

+1

Axis

If the pipes in your house are aluminium, do you have to worry about adding a corrosion inhibitor to the tap water? Would regular anti-freeze work?

(lol lol)

No. Aluminum water pipes in a house? Don't think so.

And in a closed loop it's the leaching of ions that increases the density to the point where they are deposited on copper, eating the copper away. In an open loop the alum ions never reach saturation levels.

Distilled water will leach plasticizers and material off the metals. It will just sooner or later gunk up the loop, no matter what you use as liquid. Sure you can go a year etc but most of us just drain/refill every 6 months or so. I go the extra mile and every year tear it ALL down, opening pumps, blocks, checking hose etc. And I'm for sure not the only one by a long shot.

I think a lot of us tear the loop down annually to clean it. I am in the process of doing mine this week. It's good practice to get fresh & clean coolant in the loop, clean all of the accumulated gunk out, take care of any dust buildup on the radiator, and inspect / replace tubing as necessary.

If you installed a high-quality filter prior to the loop would it eliminate most of the additive problems with tap water?

If you installed a high-quality filter prior to the loop would it eliminate most of the additive problems with tap water?

you would need reverse osmosis and even then it may not be enough, though i think it would. but we are ovelooking the giant waste of water this would be. go with a under ground loop.

Back