• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting a water cooling cycle to a tap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you would need reverse osmosis and even then it may not be enough, though i think it would. but we are ovelooking the giant waste of water this would be. go with a under ground loop.

I was just going with what could be done in theory to make it work.

That is quite a bit of water!

ok guys,
to remove the additives in the water, one could use a tap filter:
http://www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/under_sink_economy_filters.html
http://www.officesupplynow.com/xcart/product.php?productid=27026
http://store.waterproducts.com/0986-063.html

there is no need to buy a water pump ( saves money)
no need to buy a water tank ( save money again)

only problem may be the water temperature. I think normal tap water has a temperature of 10-12 C. that could create condensation. Can anyone check his tap water temperature (cold water only)

does anyone have an idea of how to connect the tap to the hose that leads to the cpu? if so please post your suggestions.

ok guys,

only problem may be the water temperature. I think normal tap water has a temperature of 10-12 C. that could create condensation. Can anyone check his tap water temperature (cold water only)

does anyone have an idea of how to connect the tap to the hose that leads to the cpu? if so please post your suggestions.

the first link will filter out some things but no were near as good as distilled levels.

the second link again won't filter out all the stuff needed and you will go through so many filters.

the 3rd link filters are no good as they only provide up to 100 gallons before they need changing, you will go through them in 4 or 5 days... at $40 a pop it will be FARRRRRRR cheaper to get a proper loop.

if you want below ambeint temps are are much cheaper and better ideas out there, bong cooling, under ground piping, phase...

also deionized water is no good for loops anyhow, it will eat away at the copper and other metals to get reionized. at least thats my understanding of it.

this idea has be thought of many times but is just not doable. if it was you would see lots of projects on it.

The problem of corrosion caused by water can easily be solved by using a graphite water block. Graphite is good in transferring heat and is also inert to corrosion. the only problem is, how does one make a water block out of graphite? has anyone seen this before.

Titanium would also work. water tap cannot harm titanium water blocks.

If you're really serious about making tap water work as a coolant there's a very easy way - but you still need a pump for your loop.

Assemble a normal WC loop. Get a 3-5 gallon bucket and insulate it, including a good piece of foam for a lid. Fill the bucket with tap water and submerge your radiator in the water. Run a hose from the tap into the bucket putting the hose outlet near the bottom and find a clean way to drain water from the top of the bucket. Turn on the tap then turn on our computer. :)

Another way to use tap water that's similar - trickle tap water across your rad. It won't be quite as effective as the submerged solution but if you're artistic you could make an interesting fountain around the rad and, to some extend, create evaporative cooling ... ;)

If you're really serious about making tap water work as a coolant there's a very easy way - but you still need a pump for your loop.

Assemble a normal WC loop. Get a 3-5 gallon bucket and insulate it, including a good piece of foam for a lid. Fill the bucket with tap water and submerge your radiator in the water. Run a hose from the tap into the bucket putting the hose outlet near the bottom and find a clean way to drain water from the top of the bucket. Turn on the tap then turn on our computer. :)

Another way to use tap water that's similar - trickle tap water across your rad. It won't be quite as effective as the submerged solution but if you're artistic you could make an interesting fountain around the rad and, to some extend, create evaporative cooling ... ;)

ok that sounds like a cool idea but why do i need to insulate the bucket? if i dont insulate it then all the heat is removed more easily.

can someone explain?

i am prettysure all I am about to say has been said.

.. huge waste.

.. all the extra crap in the water isnt that big of a deal if you are maintaining constant flow

.. you would have to maintain a lower water pressure. too high and you could blow out your rad...

ok that sounds like a cool idea but why do i need to insulate the bucket? if i dont insulate it then all the heat is removed more easily.

can someone explain?
Thermodynamics 101: Things that are "hot" tend to dissipate their heat into the things around them that are "cold". Which do you think is hotter, the bucket & tab water or the air and floor around it? If the air is cooler then you're better off using fans and forget the tap water.

You may have also forgotten or didn't read:
... and find a clean way to drain water from the top of the bucket.
THAT's where the heat goes - down the drain.

BTW: Titanium is a terrible conductor of heat, and most graphites are too - not all but most ...

Another suggestion - just mount the rad in a fridge.

ok guys,

No need to check the tap water temps. When the weather warms up (and humidity climbs) the cold water lines in my house "sweat"

Tap water temps are directly dependent on where you live in the world. In KC the water lines have to be well buried or they freeze in winter. As a result tap water pretty much equals the ground temperature of 55-56°F - more than enough to sweat during KC's hot, humid summers. From here north tap temperatures get cooler running (IIRC) ~50°F in the Twin Cities (probably near that in Maine as well, donuts, since ground temps are based more on latitude than surface climate ;)).

For climes where it doesn't freeze water lines aren't buried as deep so the tap temperature changes during the year - cooler in "winter" and warmer in "summer" ...

Another suggestion - just mount the rad in a fridge.

This is a great way to kill your fridge's compressor. Fridges cannot handle a constant heat load, they are built to cool something that doesn't produce heat. By doing that, the compressor will run very hard for a very long period of time and will eventually die. You need a stronger system like a Vapochill unit that can handle a constant heatload to do this.

can we drop this idea already as its not only a waste of water but illegal. at least in Canada. home ac units used to be cooled by water but no longer aloud to be.

we are running out of good water so lets drop it already.

I can tell you then to get the flow needed from an RO unit would make you the equvellent of satan in canada.
turn a tap slowly until it stops to drip and starts flowing, thats about the pressure from a 250GPD RO unit the rejected end however can be good #Chuckles#

its not a winner.

Tap water temps are directly dependent on where you live in the world. In KC the water lines have to be well buried or they freeze in winter. As a result tap water pretty much equals the ground temperature of 55-56°F - more than enough to sweat during KC's hot, humid summers. From here north tap temperatures get cooler running (IIRC) ~50°F in the Twin Cities (probably near that in Maine as well, donuts, since ground temps are based more on latitude than surface climate ;)).

For climes where it doesn't freeze water lines aren't buried as deep so the tap temperature changes during the year - cooler in "winter" and warmer in "summer" ...
For me tap pretty much equals ground temp, I'm on a well.:)
To possibly expand a little further, if your on city water what is their supply? If they're pumping ground water the temp could be cooler vs city reservoirs.

Either way, extremely wasteful and not practical.

Well, whoever is paying the bill (parents, landloard, whoever) will probably notice this and not be very happy. I don't support the idea because it wastes so much water, but if you can back feed it into your well (if you have one) then all the power to you.

In support: Low temps, I doubt any crap in tap water would really kill a block - fast anyway. Copper tubing is only a couple MM thick so if you have an older block with a good thick base and low restriction, then a nice top with a good seal you should be set. A ball valve could be used to limit flow and thus reduce pressure. Heres another idea:

===========> [-----------] =====> Normal plumbing, water heater, etc
Water supply Tank |....|
................................|---|
.................................Comp

The plan above would keep the computer using 50 degree water without wasting any. the only effect the system would have on your home's water would be warming it a degree or so which wouldn't be a problem anyway. You would need a good custom tank solution though and would need to buy an inline pump.

^^ lol, do you have a link? i have hooked both my mcr320's to tap water (to flush when i got them) and had no issues, though i didn't go full speed or block the end.

Back