• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting throught AIM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben721

Official X-Hour Man
I want to connect to users in aim. I have a D-Link DI-604 router. Some users I can connect to, but most I can't. Is there anyway around this? Also is there a program that I can just send from one user to another. So in the end what's the easiest way to get files from another user? Thanks so much for your help. :)

Thanks. I am going to try it out. You think it'll work well?

That's extremely ironic. I think I found it throught that site. Anyone else have any ideas?

Have you opened the ports on your router that AIM uses to connect to other users ?

The port that should be open is 5190

Last edited:
Here is a guide to open the port on your router. link

You will need to find your local ip address to set this up.

To do this press start button > run

then type cmd in the run box

In the dos box type ipconfig and it will displace your ip address.

Last edited:
If you're going to be doing port forwarding, I'd suggest hard setting your IP address. That way you won't have a problem with your IP address changing and suddenly you have to go in and reroute everything again.

Well it sort of works. Avatar can you please explain that in easier terms?

Sure. Normally when you use a router, you tell your computer to automatically get an IP address, which it does from the router. The problem is that I've seen the address the router assigns get changed for whatever reason. So, let's say you set up the ports to go to 192.168.1.100, and then your IP gets changed to 192.168.1.101. The ports are no longer reaching your computer because the IP address has changed.

So what you do is manually set your IP address in the Network control panel instead of letting the router assign it. That way the IP address doesn't change and your forwards don't get lost. Most routers will require a manually set IP address to be between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.99. The manual of the router should tell you how to set it up.

Yeah. I changed some stuff. Now I can conncet with about half of the people. This will do though. I wish there was some direct connect software.

Back