• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contemplating build in 2013

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
So here is what I was thinking

ASUS KGPE-D16
2 X AMD Opteron 6274
Noctua NH-U9DO A3 Coolers
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB

This is for home use, though it is going to be a vm server for my lab. I dont need to go with as many cores but I definitely want more than 8. I figured that if I was going to go out and spend a decent chunk of cash on this that I might as well make sure that it is going to go for a long time.

Thoughts? Opinions? Perhaps better options? I dont plan on having the cash for this until April or so but I am just starting to feel things out

Last edited:
Good lord - I'd love to crunch some freesurfer data on that thing.

Seems like a great setup - I'd advise at least watching for deals on pre-configured servers though until April rolls around. Every so often I see an amazing deal on bensbargains.com or slick deals for (generally intel based) servers. Who knows, you may get lucky.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take a look at those sites. This is actually a work station not a U server. I have no place to put a U based server and from what I have found by watching dell etc was that this route was actually half the price of a comprable r715/815 with Allstate identical specs

Hopefully the processor costs will come down in a year. I don't need bleeding edge just a decentamount of cores

Back