• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Continuous power cycling from a Gigabyte mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I just bought a Gigabyte motherboard today. I installed the processor,all the power cables,all the hard drives, RAM, video card...I power on the computer and all the fans spin for about three seconds, then it power cycles again. I called gigabytes tech support,and I was told to do a few things... One thing was to just insert one stick of RAM instead of 2. Another suggestion they had was to make sure the processor's fan was plugged in.I'm water cooled, so I grabbed the stock fan and plugged it in. Nothing I do has stopped this continuous power cycling.I've cleared the CMOS, taken the battery out...nothing.

I've unplugged everything and plugged each device in one by one... And that didn't work

I have an i7 2600 K, and the motherboard is a GA-B75M-HD3

do you have any suggestions?

I have something similar when I'm toying around with the bios after a save/restart, have you done any messing with the bios features at all?

I have something similar when I'm toying around with the bios after a save/restart, have you done any messing with the bios features at all?
I haven't even gotten the board to post so that I could make any changes in the BIOS

maybe a bend pin? Dead cpu/mobo? My asus 990fx board did that after some liquid got in the socket and shorted the cpu and mobo.

I think I figured out the problem... On the underside of the processor there tiny tiny little chips soldered in the middle of the processor. I think I broke a couple off....I don't suppose that there's a way to fix this?are there companies that can actually repair the processor?

On the CPU its self? I dont suppose you have access to another CPU do you? also IDk if RMA will cover that if that is the case.

Wouldn't the 2600K be out of or real close to out of warranty by now anyway? It's close. It was released January 2011. If there was a company that could fix it, which I doubt, they would charge more than the CPU is worth.

Warranty won't (or shouldn't, anyway) cover customer induced damage.
Those little things are almost certainly all capacitors, but I don't know what value.

Guys, notice the "Disabled" under the OPs name. He won't be reading this for a while, don't spin your wheels too much.

Guys, notice the "Disabled" under the OPs name. He won't be reading this for a while, don't spin your wheels too much.

Don't know about that. I've seen other Disabled users that were still actively posting, reading, and sending PM's.

As far as the issue though, I've had systems do that to me before. The cause in my case was a dead CPU (reason unknown), I swapped the processor and the computer booted right up.

Back