• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Continuous Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuthlessDemigod

Hello,

I've been running my computer 24/7 for the past couple days and I had a few questions about temps and cooling. The CPU temperature stays at about 50C-55C. Is this anything to be concerned with for continuous use? What is the max safe CPU temp for 24/7 use? What are the aftermarket options for CPU cooling, ect?

Here's my system:
P55 Deluxe
Intel Core i5 750
ATI Radeon HD 5700 series
8GB DDR3
Not sure what else to include.
Just let me know if you need any additional info.

Any advice is welcome as I am fairly new. Thanks!

Alright, so it's been running, but what has it been doing? Is that just idle while you've been away? Have you had it stress testing? Is that idle/gaming?

Also, what case do you have?

I'm not an Intel guy, so I don't know what's acceptable for those systems or not.
I can tell you, however, that your best option for the cooler would probably be the Cooler Master 212+

Max generally accepted safe temp for that cpu is ~75*c on a sustained basis.

What is your cooler budget? Because that makes a big difference on what I would recommend for cooling your i5 750. Also, what case are you running this in? Because if it's a narrow case, your choices will be severely limited if you can't run a tower style heatsink.

My budget for a cooler would Probly be around $200 max. Im not too familiar with the price range of coolers. And I posted a link to the case I have in one of the previous replies.

Thanks, I missed seeing the link for your case.:-/ And since you don't mind spending a bit on money on premium cooling, I won't stint on picking a price/performance choice (within reason).

In lower price ranges, there is the Thermalright MUX-120 heatsink for about $45 plus shipping. For better performance, the Thermalright Venomous X, and Archon would better performing choices that shouldn't give too much problems with ram interference, if your ram has tall heatspreaders. Even better performance (by just a hair) can be had with the Noctua NH-D14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow, but those 2 are big, wide heatsinks that could potentially interfere with your ram if they have tall heatspreaders. And if you don't mind a low cost liquid cooling option, the Corsair Hydro Series H80 delivers superb performance.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think im going to look into the corsair h80.

Last edited:
Well, I tried installing an h80, but the radiator was just barely too tall and didn't fit. Any other liquid coolers that anyone would recommend, like the h60 or something?

No, you need to move to much more radiator space and quality watercooling.

A quality WC with the best stuff is $200+. $200 is JUST the beginning level for quality WC. Or you expect magic??????? No wand will work.

The H60 and all variants of the Corsair are less than a good air cooler. The H80 or the H100 is as good as it will get unless you got $$$$. Otherwise expand your horizons... And budget. What is your goals? Maybe you need to buy a 24/7 phase setup for $1000 and a $200 a month electric bill?

Lets get to the point about your requirements?

Back