• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Convert my old C2D rig into a media PC!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Here's what I've got:

Antec Sonata 3 (dilapidated)
TX750 PSU
E6550 CPU
P5Q-E MOBO
2X1GB DDR2 1066
Arctic Freezer 7 pro cooler
Geforce 8800GTS
Xonar D2/PM soundcard

Here's what I want to do:

I want to turn this into an HTPC for my livingroom via a wifi conneciton.

aQXE7MBKaWDsgxkL_500.jpg

As you can see the mobo has PCIE X1 slots to accomodate a wifi adapter.

I also want to switch the GPU to something CHEAP that will play 1080P video and has an HDMI out that will transmit audio and video to my TV. The 8800GTS won't do that.

So I need:

Small case that will fit in a TV cabinet that will take my ATX mobo and non modular PSU
wifi card
GPU with HDMI out for audio and video

I want to do this as cheaply as possible while still getting decent parts.

Please give me suggestions I'm at a loss. If you need any more info don't hesitate to ask!

Also!~!! please recommend a wireless keybo/mouse. I know there was one that was handheld and had chicklet keys and a litttle touch pad. I think it was logitech. SOrry. Drunk atm...

edit- I plan to sell the soundcard.

Last edited:
The GPU does not have to be potent to do what you want to do. The load for decoding streaming video is born by the CPU so check that out before you invest much. See if the CPU will decode streaming video smoothly without chop and pick something to watch with a lot of movement like a football game. I have found that when those old DDR2 based dual core CPUs (either intel or AMD) were marginal for that at the lower end of the model spectrum. What's the frequency rating of the CPU? The board looks like it would be a good overclocker, however.

NewEgg had a Radeon 5450 video card on sale for 5.99 after rebates over the weekend. It had an HDMI port I believe. I have that card and it should be adequate for what you want to do.

The GPU does not have to be potent to do what you want to do. The load for decoding streaming video is born by the CPU so check that out before you invest much. See if the CPU will decode streaming video smoothly without chop. I have found that when those old DDR2 based dual core CPUs (either intel or AMD) were marginal for that at the lower end of the model spectrum. What's the frequency rating of the CPU? The board looks like it would be a good overclocker, however.

NewEgg had a Radeon 5450 video card on sale for 5.99 after rebates over the weekend. It had an HDMI port I believe. I have that card and it should be adequate for what you want to do.

Chip is 2.33 GHz but I've had it to 4.00 on this board. It's a good board.

Suggestions on small cases? Wifi cards? It handled 1080P youtube beautifully with the 8800GTS even at stock speeds.

It has pci slots so you also have the option of a pci-based wifi instead of a pci-e. Sometimes you can get used ones real cheap on ebay. Get wireless N 300 and not just N 150, especially if your router is broadcasting an N300 signal.

Small Case: That will be a challenge since the motherboard looks to be full ATX.

There are a lot of options for wireless keyboards and mice. Don't spend money on this much. They all do the same thing. Get a combo for the best price.

Don't know if they still make them but you can probably get one used off ebay. The horizontal ones they used to call "desktop" because people would put them on the desktop and stick the CRT on top of it. Nowadays, any computer not a laptop is called a desktop. Just thought I'd give you some history there because you may not be old enough to know that.

Don't know if they still make them but you can probably get one used off ebay. The horizontal ones they used to call "desktop" because people would put them on the desktop and stick the CRT on top of it. Nowadays, any computer not a laptop is called a desktop. Just thought I'd give you some history there because you may not be old enough to know that.

I've been using computers since the 286 and Commodore 64.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163257

This is the kind of case I'm after. Apparently they do still make them to take ATX.

Does my juvenile behavior on the board lead you to believe that I'm younger?

No comment.

My first machine was an Amiga 500 that I got when I was 7. Those came out in 1987 so you can do the math :).

I wouldn't have pegged you for a day over 32.

Get whatever recent Nvidia GPU that happens to be cheap if 1080p is all you need. If you want it to be 4K ready, make sure it's a 6xx series or newer. (2GB or more is also recommended for 4K.) If you get a 750, you'll also have an OK 1080p gaming system. You can also just try the 8800 since you already have it, using the nouveau driver.

For a wireless card, get one with an Intel or Qualcomm (Atheros) chipset. Ralink is also OK.

Get whatever recent Nvidia GPU that happens to be cheap if 1080p is all you need. If you want it to be 4K ready, make sure it's a 6xx series or newer. (2GB or more is also recommended for 4K.) If you get a 750, you'll also have an OK 1080p gaming system. You can also just try the 8800 since you already have it, using the nouveau driver.

For a wireless card, get one with an Intel or Qualcomm (Atheros) chipset. Ralink is also OK.

I bought all the parts today. I got a TP Link wifi card. Is that ok? Is that an acceptable choice? I don't know wifi cards well.
I picked up the following:

Antec P100 (going to use horizontally)
WD Blue 1TB
AMD R5 230 1GB
TPLink TL WN881ND
Win 8.1 64 bit (will this be ok with my 2GB RAM?)
Logitech K400 keybo/touchpad

I'm getting no video via HDMI (from AMD R5 230 1GB) (which is what I need) off the GPU I bought. I tried it on 2 TV's. I take it I must return the GPU and exchange it?

I've decided to build a new system based on the Pentium G 3258 as my HTPC with an ASRock Z97 Anniversary board and 2x2GB DDR3 1600.
I think either the mobo or PSU are shot on my current system and its so old its not worth fixing so I'm just gonna upgrade and part the old stuff out as "may work".

That wireless card uses a Qualcomm chipset, the leader in wireless. As with all wireless hardware, you might need to use aftermarket high gain antennas for best results. Position the two antennas about 90 degrees from each other, same goes for the AP antennas. (If the AP has 3 antennas, put the outer two about 90-120 degrees apart with the middle one bisecting the angle.)

Back