• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cool Master Hyper 212 Plus/EVO and case mod questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pahina22

Registered
Since I dont currently have the spare cash for a new build, I will be overclocking my e7200 soon in anticipation of the SWTOR release. I plan on buying a Cool Master Hyper 212 EVO and some Arctic Silver 5 to cool it.

This is the case I have (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106) and I am not exactly sure if the 212 EVO will fit. I am pretty sure the height will be fine as I have removed the funnel but how do I tell if the power supply will be in the way? I know the dimensions of the heatsink but it is still tough to judge.

I made a post a while back on a similar topic, and it was suggested that I replace the exhaust vent and the side vent that has a fan to increase air flow, which I plan to do. On this same topic would it be beneficial to cut a large hole in the side of the case as well and in its place put a screen? I open and get dust out of my computer regularly so I was thinking that even if this did allow a bit more dust to get in, it wouldnt be that big of a deal because of this and that the increased benefit of more ventilation would make it worth while.

Since I dont currently have the spare cash for a new build, I will be overclocking my e7200 soon in anticipation of the SWTOR release. I plan on buying a Cool Master Hyper 212 EVO and some Arctic Silver 5 to cool it.

This is the case I have (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119106) and I am not exactly sure if the 212 EVO will fit. I am pretty sure the height will be fine as I have removed the funnel but how do I tell if the power supply will be in the way? I know the dimensions of the heatsink but it is still tough to judge.

I made a post a while back on a similar topic, and it was suggested that I replace the exhaust vent and the side vent that has a fan to increase air flow, which I plan to do. On this same topic would it be beneficial to cut a large hole in the side of the case as well and in its place put a screen? I open and get dust out of my computer regularly so I was thinking that even if this did allow a bit more dust to get in, it wouldnt be that big of a deal because of this and that the increased benefit of more ventilation would make it worth while.

Near as I can tell from the case and cooler specs there should be enough room between the motherboard and case side panel to fit the cooler you have in mind with the case being about 8" wide and the cooler being 6" tall.

As for telling if the PSU will be in the way, as long as it is more than roughly 2-1/3 inches away from the center of the CPU you should be fine whether choosing to mount the cooler horizontally or vertically.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. This site is always great with the speed and helpfulness of the responses.

I have decided to go a different route, slowly upgrading over time when there are good deals on newegg and have decided to get the i5 2500k when I do upgrade and I have head they overclock extremely well so I will still be getting this heatsink to OC it eventually.

Back