• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoolBlade Need Help to Overclock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoolBlade

MSI has a nice overclock Genie that I am using but I am skeptical. this would be my first time trying to manually overclock my CPU, Memory and motherboard.

At the bottom of the Control Center it says Overclock/Overvoltage
CPU Ratio x7
Base Clock(MHz) 215 MHz
CPU Voltage 1.4035V
CPU NB 1.3895
SB Voltage 1.0992V
NB Voltage 1.0992V
DRAM Voltage 1.6517V

MSI MB 970A-G43 (MS-7693)
CPU AMD FX 8320 eight Core (At the moment its running at 1500 MHz x7.0 BC 215.0MHz and 125 W.
MEMORY 8x2 16gig G.Skill F3-1866C9-8GXM
At the moment is running at DDR3-1333(667MHz)

What can I do to make my timings better? Thank you for the reply back. Thanks for being patient with me.

No idea what you mean by "make timings better". Timings descibe memory settings but you have not actually acted like you are referring to memory.

It might be a good idea to do some study-up on what it is to overclock FX processors.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663
Bulldozer Overclocking Guide - Everything you need to overclock bulldozer properly. - Good guide to get you started with your Bulldozer / Piledriver system. Pile Driver CPUs include the FX-8320 you have in your system.

Also Overclocking an 8 core FX on that MSI Mobo is always an uphill battle. Use the search feature and type in your mobo. You will most likely only achieve a very mild OC with much elevated temps without a great aftermarket cooler.

+1... no heatsinks and a 4+1 power config... yikes. Put active cooling (point a fan) at the CPU area at minimum.

I just ditched that board for a Sabertooth as the heat was ridiculous with an fx-6350 only OC'd to 4.2Ghz

Didn't even think that board supported an 8 core.

Also Overclocking an 8 core FX on that MSI Mobo is always an uphill battle. Use the search feature and type in your mobo. You will most likely only achieve a very mild OC with much elevated temps without a great aftermarket cooler.

I get tired of being the "mobo police" for these underpowered mobos and FX processors, so I just figured I would let him start to follow the tutorial on FX and find out for himself.

If he can use some kind of Auto Overclock on the board and it seems it was working he just did not understand Cool N Quiet lowering the multiplier under load, then he better stick with that and be happy, since attempting a real overclock is a major pain to do manually and what we call correctly. If it Auto Overclocks and is 2 hours of P95 Blend mode stable then he just got lucky and that is all I can say.
RGone...ster.

I get tired of being the "mobo police" for these underpowered mobos and FX processors, so I just figured I would let him start to follow the tutorial on FX and find out for himself.

If he can use some kind of Auto Overclock on the board and it seems it was working he just did not understand Cool N Quiet lowering the multiplier under load, then he better stick with that and be happy, since attempting a real overclock is a major pain to do manually and what we call correctly. If it Auto Overclocks and survives 2 hours of P95 Blend mode then he just got lucky and that is all I can say.
RGone...ster.

Here I fixed that up for you Bobert :shock:

I totally agree with the "if it survives". I wouldn't even attempt to OC a Fx 8xxx on that board. I blew up 2 Msi 970a g-45's with my 955 on it and I wasn't even pushing it. The Fx is a far more demanding chip.

So I went to best buy and shelled out the $100 dollars on the corsair H100i. My CPU is running temp at 13 to 15 Celsius (no load) When I auto clock it reached 45 to 53. I did notice a lag in the computer. It overclocked past 4,600 to 5000, So now I need to Manuel overclock because this auto will burn out my board as per what you guys said. Thanks for the heads up. The memory has heatsinks on it and they are working very well and are timmed equally out of the factory. The case is the HAF case which has these massive fans built into it. I replaced the top fan and placed the radiator and I am amazed on how the case is blowing out air. The only thing heating up is the graphics card and that crazy card is still ticking. I wish I could water cool that card. Its the Powercooler 7890 2gigs ram. the system and GC handles BF4 very well but then after awhile that card gets really hot. The fan only runs to 1500. Need to find a better solution for the card.

MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-2DHV4E/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Thermaltake 850 watts SP-850M Smart

Corsair H100i Water cool sealed no water to add pump. Rectangle version

Coolermaster HAF 932

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM

You mentioned your GPU is getting really hot. What temperature is it getting to? Can we get a CPU-Z or GPU-Z screen shot of it at full load after a few hours of gaming?

When RGone...Ster and Godzilla give you the Faceplam, you know its time to quit and go home!! Just becareful as the best of the AMD Section have already told you!!

images.jpg

Respectfully,

AJ.

FYI it's not the auto overclock that we're concerned about. It's the fact that you are going to overclock an 8 core FX processor on a motherboard that has known issues overclocking 6 core processors. The power section of that board, known as the VRM/MOSFETS is not adequate for those CPU's. They have a 4+1 power phase and you should have a minimum of 6+2 or better yet 8+2 to get a decent OC with your FX 8xxx.

Well wait a minute here did i see a SABERTOOTH 990FX R2 MOBO?? :shrug:

Then if i did, maybe we jumped the gun here guy's me included!! But until the OP returns we just will not know the truth, yet a good lesson for any other persons with a similar motherboards and 4+1 VRM Sections. ;) :thup:

Looking into this AMD Thread. :attn:

EDIT: SORRY GETTING MIXED UP WITH WHO'S WHO ON HERE!!

Regards,

AJ.

Last edited:

AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-2DHV4E/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Coolermaster HAF 932

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C9D-16GXM

Well wait a minute here did i see a SABERTOOTH 990FX R2 MOBO?? :shrug:

Then if i did, maybe we jumped the gun here guy's me included!! But until the OP returns we just will not know the truth, yet a good lesson for any other persons with a similar motherboards and 4+1 VRM Sections. ;) :thup:

Looking into this AMD Thread. :attn:

Regards,

AJ.

Not according to his last post Ajay. Sill the MSI AFIK

Coolermaster HAF 932

Coolblade please do not use auto overclocking tools, they are usually junk. If you're really determined to overclock on that board. Read this guide, or this one .

Back