• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Successor to the 212+)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jason4207

Anybody tried this thing out yet?

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6741

My buddy was looking for a cooler for his i7 960. I recommended the 212+ or Cogage TRUE Spirit for budget, or pretty much anything from Thermalright or Prolimatech for the higher end.

He did some research, and came back w/ the 212 EVO! From the looks of it they fixed my biggest complaint w/ the 212+ which was the nasty gaps b/n the heatpipes. I found it wasted a lot of TIM, and gave lots of members here fits w/ trying to get the TIM applied well.

If it can be found at about the same price as the 212+ then I think it should take over the reigning recommendations that everyone gives for the 212+ for those that want the best bang4$.

What do you guys think?

Looks like it retails for $5 more than the 212+ and the 212+ is $3-off right now, so there's an $8 spread. I'm sure the EVO will see discounts, and that would be a good time to try 1 out.

It's definitely worth $5 more imo just in the $ value of TIM you'll save. ;)

I like the fact that they cut the space between the heatpipes down to a minimum on it. I think that should bring efficiency up by a good bit, since more of the outside heatpipes will contact the heatspreader. But with that said, I won't buy one for testing. My budget for buying heatsinks is busted right now, especially since the heatsinks aren't moving in the Classifieds much lately. :( I guess people just want to get them as gifts or something. Now if Cooler Master would send one to me I would be glad to review it some time. But I also have a few in the pipeline for reviewing that should make for some interesting reviews.

Seems like the surface area for the heatpipes increased compared to the 212+. Looks like a promising improvement. Dunno about a $10 increase though unless it is a significant improvement over the 212+.

How close are you to the genesis? I might just send you one. Got mah check :D

I have one sitting here, waiting for me to test it. I have some manufacturer-supplied heatsinks I am testing first, since they were nice enough to send me hardware to test. I will try to wriggle it in soon though. I also have a Silver Arrow waiting to be tested that I bought and it's sitting for the same reason.

I'm very close to the genesis! Please send me one!

*I have no idea what you're talking about.

It's a heatsink, and kind of different from the usual tower style too. Look up Prolimatech Genesis.

Yeah, I offered to send him one because I was interested a review on it, BUT the company i found that had it supposedly in stock didn't have it.

Back