• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master V6-GT vs Thermaltake ProWater 850i

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KΓλ©KΣΓ™

Hello all, this is the first time ever posting on this forum. I've done a search but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. So, here we go...

I've got an old Dell Inspiron 530 that's ready to retire, BUT, It came with a VERY nice q6600 2.4GHz Rev.G0. My plan is to build a new PC using that chip, as I know they are known to overclock VERY well.

This is the list of components I'll be using.

Thermaltake A60 Advanced Mid-Tower Gaming Case
Thermaltake TR2 750W ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply
ASUS P5K3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP
Crucial Ballistix 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3, PC3-10600
ATI RADEON HD6950 2GB

Here's where I could use a lil help...

I need to keep that chip cool some how, I just don't know what my options are. Will I have to use liquid cooling if I want to take it to it's limits and go for the 4.0GHz, or will something like the Cooler Master V6 GT be good enough?

Any input would be helpful....

I personally didn't gain a single mhz out of my q6600 by moving to liquid, while it looks cool and does keep my temps lower the chip hit its ceiling on air. I could push through the wall but it took LOTS of volts. But that's just my experience.

Thermaltake liquid isn't considered liquid cooling, it's considered a nighmare and total junk.

It's cooling capabilities, quality, etc etc.

To finish... Some have in their tags, "Friends don't let Friends drive Thermaltake.

The V6 is a better choice. There are MUCH better, and cheaper ones too. Like the Umm 212 and some others.

The Corsair H80 and the H100 are pretty good sealed WC units. Not near as good as custom WC, but not bad at all.

So water cooling isn't needed to push 4.0GHz? I don't know if I'll go that far with it, but I want to make sure no matter how far I push it up to that point, I won't have to worry about cooling. I just don't want to buy a high performance cooler, just to turn it into a paper weight cause I have to switch to liquid cooling.

And thanx for the heads up with the Tt liquid cooling systems. :)

Just stumbled across this cooler. Any thoughts on this one? http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=23

Last edited:
LOL. ?? Watercooling. LOL...... Think physics, area vs radiated heat and cooling. Just because it has liquid, doesn't mean it's any better than air cooling.

If you want to watercool, I highly suggest you go to the watercooling forum and read about real watercooling in the stickies up top, which typically costs a lot more. There is a few days of reading you should do before even considering watercooling.

Water cooling isn't something I was considering, I just wasn't sure an aftermarket cooler could keep my chip cool enough at the speed I want to run it. Which is somewhere between 3.5-4.0 GHz. After spending hours on this forum, reading what others are using and how far the newer aftermarket coolers have come since my last overclocking project. (an AMD Athlon XP 3200+)

After looking at my options, I think I'm going to go with the Cooler Master Hyper N520. It's seems to be even a little bit overkill for what I need, but at a cost of just $36.00, I can't go wrong. IF I find it isn't keeping my CPU cool enough, then I'll look into water cooling, and still only be out $36. Not to bad of a loss....

Back