• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master V8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Expect2Die

Registered
Dear overclockers,

I've recently replaced my CM 212 EVO with a CM V8
After installing it and booting my system i realized the speed knob on the V8 didn't do anything and the V8 is running on the lowest fan speed.

Does anyone know what my problem might be?
My Asus Maximus VII hero BIOS tells me my cpu-fan is PWM controlled.
There's 2 options: PWM/DC

thanks!

If you run Prime95 can you hear the fan speed up (or watch it speed up with HWMonitor)?

I've had a fair amount of trouble using cpuid or fanspeed.

cpuid only shows one fan, my cpu fan.
When i had my 212evo installed and i was gaming i could hear my cpu fan speed up but the program didn't show any changes and it was still running at the idle speed.

Fanspeed doesn't show me any fans at all...

I would delete speed fan as it could be the issue. I may be conflicting with the mobo program and causing it to not ramp up.

Try disabling the fan speed control in the bios and see if that allows you to use the knob on the V8

All this aside, why the lateral move on the cooler? V8 is as good as the 212 Evo last I recall, and costs 50% more!

i've had the V8 in my old rig and the red led's inside went better with the "theme" of my computer.
both of them having similar performances and the V8 has the speed knob which is interesting. should it work... considering installing the 212 Evo again.

The V-8 is only a degree or two better than the EVO. If it works then maybe you should.

i've allready gotten some arctic silver 5 TIM to replace the V8 <-- is this correct usage of TIM?

so after all the swapping i'll still have better thermal paste inbetween them :D

I would disconnect the V8 from the mobo's cpu header, then use a 4pin/3pin to molex cable adapter and plug it in directly to one of the power supply's molex connectors. Thus you can then use the VR knob to adjust fan speed to your liking. However by doing this you will bypass the PWM control so the fans will not ramp up automatically when temps rise. You'll have to manually adjust fan speed accordingly.

In the bios you'll have to disable the cpu fan warning so you don't get that annoying beep when booting up.

I would disconnect the V8 from the mobo's cpu header, then use a 4pin/3pin to molex cable adapter and plug it in directly to one of the power supply's molex connectors. Thus you can then use the VR knob to adjust fan speed to your liking. However by doing this you will bypass the PWM control so the fans will not ramp up automatically when temps rise. You'll have to manually adjust fan speed accordingly.

In the bios you'll have to disable the cpu fan warning so you don't get that annoying beep when booting up.
:thup:

This might not be the right place for me to ask but i would like to figure speedfan out...

When i open the program it goes through a list on the top which looks promising but then this shows...

any ideas on how to fix this?

okey ;) getting 65 degrees running the in-place FTTs with the evo212 and arctic silver 5

not bad i guess?

okey ;) getting 65 degrees running the in-place FTTs with the evo212 and arctic silver 5

not bad i guess?

Would not be good for an AMD CPU but would be fine for an Intel. You have never told us about what CPU you are trying to cool or much of any other information about your system.

intel I7-4770k Haswell @ 3.5GHz --> would overclock but to hard for me
nvidia gtx770
asus maximus Vii hero

Back