• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

coolermaster hyper 212 evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pplatz87

I have a intel i7 3770k with a 212 evo. I am having issues with my motherboard (like always) so I decided to take everything out and reseat it. I took off the heatsink because it is wobbly. I read online that people have similar problems. I like this cooler and I want to use it but I guess I am installing it incorrectly because it is not secure and turns side to side on the processor. I followed the instructions that I could find online when I first installed it and messed with it a bunch before trying to put it back on and it still wobbles. I ordered a coolermaster v8 but I've heard that the v8 fans burn out. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

When you say "wobbles" does this mean that it's not fully contacting the CPU surface? Or do you mean you can twist the cooler and it move? I have the hyper 212 plus and I can twist it and it moves, but it's still firmly placed on the CPU and doesn't wobble.

It does twist. I didn't think that was a good thing. It had idle temperatures around 60c and I thought that was high, and another post on a forum suggested it was high. I used artic silver.

I have one on my back-up rig and tho it pivots/twists a little, it's still snug. On an E8400 @ 4.0Ghz with 1.3v (or there abouts, can't remember off hand) my temps idle @ 36c and loads around 45-ish c.

Yea those temps are high. I have a haswell at 4.4 1.2 volts and it never goes above 57 even when gaming hard. idle is 30 or lower, and I only have the plus not the evo.

Idle in the bios at 60C? or in Windows? Either way, that is too warm for sure and the mount isn't correct. I'd remount.

Yea, Idle temps are high. But we don't know what his case setup is, if fans are working, if his ambient is 35C, what he uses for temp tools or if he did the paste right. Or it's installed wrong.

We'll have to get these questions answered by the OP.

pplatzt, try to help us out here. We need questions answered, long distance trouble shooting is hard to do.

can you take a picture of the inside of your case so we can see how you have the fans set up. Also make sure you didn't apply too much thermal compound. What is your voltage set at?

Definitely an issue with bad mounting. My Hyper 212 Evo will keep a much hotter 3930k in the low 60s under full load. Make sure you're using the correct standoffs and make sure that any protective film on the bottom has been fully removed. Clean both the bottom as well as the CPU, reapply the heatsink paste, and try again.

It's also possible to get one that came undercharged or one that leaks, though that is extremely rare. In that case, the only realistic fix is to replace the heatsink. (Even if you had a set of gauges, it is very difficult to put in the correct amount of refrigerant and seal it up properly.) If the metal braid inside the pipes is missing (also very rare), it will perform great upright (bottom facing the ground), but poorly otherwise.

Refrigerant? Its a heatsink. Unless my definition is 'refrigerant' is a little more strict than yours?

Refrigerant? Its a heatsink. Unless my definition is 'refrigerant' is a little more strict than yours?

Yea, it's a liquid that uses the heatpipe wicking method. You can LOL Wiki it even... All heatpipe coolers use it.... Not sure, but yea that is the way wrong term to use.

We have seen a few with possible leaks in the tubes, but no good info.

I have a intel i7 3770k with a 212 evo. I am having issues with my motherboard (like always) so I decided to take everything out and reseat it. I took off the heatsink because it is wobbly. I read online that people have similar problems. I like this cooler and I want to use it but I guess I am installing it incorrectly because it is not secure and turns side to side on the processor. I followed the instructions that I could find online when I first installed it and messed with it a bunch before trying to put it back on and it still wobbles. I ordered a coolermaster v8 but I've heard that the v8 fans burn out. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have installed the Hyper 212 plus and Evo several times. Did you ever notice when you look for videos concerning installation, they never show the whole process in real time. Its always before and after shots. Go figure. The directions are incomplete imo. This is my method how to properly install the Evo. My Phenom II 965, 125 watt @ 3.9g never exceed 52C. My FX 6300 @ 4.4g - 95W, tops out at 42C on prime. This is assuming good air flow through the case, and using push and pull.

* The 212 Plus is a little different. The gaps on the heatsink should be filled in before applying paste. Not true with the Evo. The Evo has a smoother surface area vs the 212. Other than that, the same steps apply.

Here are my tips.

1.Use a green pea size drop right in the middle of the cpu. Actually, the size if a Nestles chocolate chip. Just a wee smaller than a pea.Weight and heat will make this spread evenly into a fine thin layer. How do you know if you used the correct amount ? When paste is not leaking out the sides when you have it fully tightened down.That is very important.

2.I'm sure you noticed the the push pins on the bracket. There adjustable for different lengths. Make sure all 4 pins are adjusted on the correct setting for Intel.

3.VERY important. This is where people make mistakes. Never put the cooler on the cpu first, and then try to adjust the bracket, after the fact. Your cooler will slip and slide before you get it clamped down.

4.Put the bracket on the cooler, just like you would if it was fully assembled sitting on your board. With no paste on the cpu, do some dry runs. Don't touch the cpu, just go through the motions. This will help you adjust the bracket very close to the holes when it counts.

5.Put on the paste, and drop the cooler on the cpu evenly. Your bracket should already be lined up to your 4 mounting holes. Make sure your using a longer Phillips head screwdriver, as this helps. Notice the groove on the sides of the cooler. A longer phillips helps. Tighten each opposite corner a few turns, then the other opposite corners a few turns. Repeat until is is fully secure. After it feels tight. Give it an extra 1/4 turn.

6.The cooler can mount with fans facing front to back or top to bottom.Just in-case you didn't know.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back