• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coolermaster R4 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SupaMonkey

Many people are aware of this chart comparing 65 fans on a megahalem.

http://www.overclockers.com/65-fans-tested-megahalems/

Looking down this list we see that the Coolermaster R4s look like a good fan for reducing temps and noise levels. So i bought a pair of them and decided to try them out on my noctua nh-d14. Initially i ran a stress test on the cpu for 45 mins using the stock fans and here are the results.

Noctua.png

Everest reported a maximum temp of 53 degrees and a motherboard temp of 19 degrees which will be very close to the ambient temp.

I took out the stock fans, removed the clips from them (you have to figure out the trick and then it is easy - it's a bit like those bent nails puzzles where you have to figure out how to separate them) and put them on the coolermaster fans.

IMG_1844.JPG

Then i ran the stress test again but this time with the coolermaster fans. Here is the result.

coolermaster.png

Again, the max temp is 53 degrees at an ambient temperature of 19 degrees. So no change in the temp.

Noise: both fans are quiet, but there is definitely a slight tinny whine on the coolermaster but it is barely noticeable.

Looks: the coolermaster fan looks a lot better than the noctua. Here is a shot of my system with the original fans.

IMG_1843.JPG

Here is a photo after i swapped the fans over

IMG_1846.JPG

and here is a close up of the fan on the noctua.

IMG_1847.JPG

So in conclusion;

The fans didn't improve the temps nor did they reduce the noise levels. They may have increased the noise a tiny bit but that isn't bad for fans turning at around 1800rpm. I would say that the looks are far far better than the noctua and they are worth buying for that alone.

So in conclusion;

The fans didn't improve the temps nor did they reduce the noise levels. They may have increased the noise a tiny bit but that isn't bad for fans turning at around 1800rpm. I would say that the looks are far far better than the noctua and they are worth buying for that alone.

Just to add to this; this is exactly why you don't buy acrylic / brittle fans. They resonate and whine just as you describe.

Yea, it isn't that the noise is louder, just that the pitch is higher so it is more obvious.

Back