• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling a HOT M2 NVMe drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2 of them are going my way but I wanted version without water block ( HDX-2). With some luck I should get them at the beginning of next week. I also have some info about next models but it's NDA and I can't say anything yet :(
I only hope there are no restrictions to RAID on two of these cards/coolers. On X299 there is info about PCIE RAID support by CPU which is some magical new technology ( as always ) and there are dedicated cards for that but I'm not sure if it means it won't run on any other cards or it means it won't run at full bandwidth. I guess I will find out in couple of days.

2 of them are going my way but I wanted version without water block ( HDX-2). With some luck I should get them at the beginning of next week. I also have some info about next models but it's NDA and I can't say anything yet :(
I only hope there are no restrictions to RAID on two of these cards/coolers. On X299 there is info about PCIE RAID support by CPU which is some magical new technology ( as always ) and there are dedicated cards for that but I'm not sure if it means it won't run on any other cards or it means it won't run at full bandwidth. I guess I will find out in couple of days.

Awesome! Looking forward to your results into these Woomack :clap:

What are you doing to get these so hot? I'm going to assume you have the swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys on the M.2, if so try something just to see if you get cooler temp and go in to your virtual memory settings and move the swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys to a HDD. (note: some Windows OS's have 1, ether swapfile.sys or pagefile.sys but not both)

my SSD run only that hot in tests :p ... during normal work the Hellfire has about 60°C

btw HDX-2 arrived yesterday, I just installed SSD but will test it later today or tomorrow
AC_HDX2_pht1.jpg

review will be linked on my twitter ( I hate facebook but somehow I started using twitter :p .. @BWaluk ) but I will try to make thread with some tests on OCF

What are you doing to get these so hot? I'm going to assume you have the swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys on the M.2, if so try something just to see if you get cooler temp and go in to your virtual memory settings and move the swapfile.sys and pagefile.sys to a HDD. (note: some Windows OS's have 1, ether swapfile.sys or pagefile.sys but not both)

Why would that matter? Its relatively stable data...its not like its constantly swapping in and out...not to mention your PF should be on you ssd in the first place. Worries about writes have been gone for multiple generations of ssds.

Last edited:
Above and beyond, there are so many scenarios introducing heat into the equation, whether by drive utilization or environment, that this may be a useful product beyond the wow factor. Anyone that has heat issues whatever the cause and relies on their drive may be interested. Enthusiasts don't need a reason. Maybe the product will not be as big a market success as fidget spinners, but then I fully expect someone out there is figuring out how to cool mice and joysticks to keep hands cool too. Those would be some interesting reviews.:D

Last edited:
Why would that matter? Its relatively stable data...its not like its constantly swapping in and out...not to mention your PF should be on you ssd in the first place. Worries about writes have been gone for multiple generations of ssds.

All I said was to try it and see what happens and as for max writes, it has gone up but there is still a limit to the number of writes to flash memory. It won't hurt to move the pagefile to a HDD and if you talk to a IT Admin or IT techs they will say to put the pagefile on a HDD and not on a SSD.

Last edited:
Back