• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You'd need high-CFM, louder fans to get any real mileage out of it, and even then it barely matches most decent aircoolers on the reviews I looked at.

Also, if an aircooler fails you can limp along until you replace the fan. If the pump fails in that watercooler at load there's no chance that tiny bit of copper on the mount will do anything.. Not really worth it with the 212+ being at such a low price.

I have been doing some research and it looks like the H50 is better than the hyper 212. If my cpu cooler fails, my computer would be shut down right away. Also, the H50 would look better, and would restrict less airflow.
The only thing I dont like about the H50 is that the rear case fan has to blow air through the rad, into the case. Which will heat everything else up slightly.
I could mount the fan so it blows air through it, out the back. But then it will be pulling warm air in, thats already in the case.
But the air coolers would do the same thing anyways.

hmm..

The H50? Umm..... Okay..............

http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-hydro-series-h50-highend-air/

Look at the H80 if you plan to go a prebuilt prefilled WC setup.

We also review the H70 in the area I posted. The H80 is the one to get. The H80 review will be out soon.

Maybe I was looking at the H70 then.
I just want the best heatsink I can get for under $50.

I guess the Hyper 212 is the one i'll go with.

Now that i've decided, one more thing, how should I clean my cpu? Since i'll be applying new thermal paste.

Maybe I was looking at the H70 then.
I just want the best heatsink I can get for under $50.

I guess the Hyper 212 is the one i'll go with.

Now that i've decided, one more thing, how should I clean my cpu? Since i'll be applying new thermal paste.

I always use 91% or higher rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth. I bought some arctic clean to try out but it doesn't really seem to work any better.

You'd need high-CFM, louder fans to get any real mileage out of it, and even then it barely matches most decent aircoolers on the reviews I looked at.

Also, if an aircooler fails you can limp along until you replace the fan. If the pump fails in that watercooler at load there's no chance that tiny bit of copper on the mount will do anything.. Not really worth it with the 212+ being at such a low price.

Damn... Perfect way to put it, couldn't of said it any better at all.

I definitely agree that those closed loop watercoolers aren't nothing in comparison to high-end aircoolers. Most high-end aircoolers have a lot more surface area than those closed loop watercoolers, thus allowing for better cooling abilities.

EDIT: You can also use lighter fluid to clean off the CPU. I've seen it done before. Me, personally? I just wipe the paste off with a shop towel, then dampen a bit of a towel in rubbing alcohol and thoroughly clean everything off.

You technically could... Not a good idea and temperatures sure wouldn't be good. Plus, it's way easier to replace a fan rather than RMA'ing the entire watercooling system...

"if an aircooler fails you can limp along until you replace the fan" Really?

You should replace it immediately if possible obviously. The idea being that the system wouldn't immediately go belly-up on you in the event of a fan failure.

If a user's not paying attention to temperatures and a fan dies, it's conceivable to assume that they may not notice it immediately until they start to see throttling. At least the system would be able to be shut down gracefully instead of catastrophically (not that using a watercooler of that size would necessarily cause a catastrophic failure if it went south, but there's naturally more risk involved vs. an aircooler).

Edit:
Plus, it's way easier to replace a fan rather than RMA'ing the entire watercooling system...
Also, this. Didn't even think about that point, but it's certainly better to grab a new fan from a closet instead of having a system out of commission. If you're using a custom watercooling solution it's kinda the same idea since you could replace the pump/fans if needed.

So i'll leave the CPU in the socket when I clean it.

Yeah that's fine. Put the rubbing alcohol on the cloth so it won't get all over the board. It'll evaporate quickly so even if there's a little spillage it won't hurt anything.

Does anyone know what the average idle temp, and load temp should be for my processor?

No way to nail that down. It all has to do with ambient room temps and case air flow.

Plus, idle doesn't matter one bit. Load is what matters.

Okay. Is there any specific temps I should try avoiding? AMD's site says max temp is 55C, so I know that. But is it alright around 42C for a long time?

You don't want to go above 55C when overclocking. It causes major instability.

42C is very good. Is that with the chip on load? If so, very nice.

You don't want to go above 55C when overclocking. It causes major instability.

42C is very good. Is that with the chip on load? If so, very nice.

When I did the load tests, my CPU went up to 54C max, but stayed around 52C.
Thats why I want to cool it more. My room is usually very warm, so thats why my temps are this high. I mean, I have a cooler master HAF 912 with all the fans, so you'd think it would be cooler. When I have the AC on, my temps drop back down to 30 at idle.

Back