• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dutu40

Hello, some weeks ago I just purchased an Asrock Z87 Extreme3 paired with an i5 4670k for gaming, the CPU is currently OC'd to 4GHz (apparently it starts to give BSODs beyond 4.1GHz even with a 1.218 voltage) but the problem is that I'm currently using the stock cooler, my idle temps range from 35-40 degrees and my temps while gaming go up to a maximum of 75-80, averaging between 60-70 degrees but I also have a DeepCool Iceedge 300E cooler which I initially wanted to use but my brother told me that the "plastic thingy" which is needed for the cooler to stay on the processor / mobo might be touching the motherboard's power phases.

The question is, even if that plastic thingy is so close to the power phases does it represent any danger at all (as in overheating them and ultimately damaging the motherboard to the point it becomes useless).

iceedge-300e-807f55bc212fec1c67dcf7190a30ca59.jpg that's the plastic thingy I'm talking about, the big, black round thing in the middle (I have no idea how it's called).

Shouldn't cause any issues unless it pushes on the component to the point of breaking.

Your temps are getting too high, drop the OC or swap the cooler.

Back