• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Grease???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As far as thermal conducting capabilities copper is one of the better materials out there but it still does not match or come near silver. It is cheap enough to get Artic Silver so don't bother trying to find copper grease, if they make it.

Daniel

thanx 4 that!!!!
just one Q
i am currently using silicone paste,would copper grease b better than that???

zip22 said:
i have never seen copper grease, why not use silver?

b/c two of the major "silver" compounds sold turned out to really be mostly aluminum, and a copper paste would do a lot better job as a material than an aluminum paste, which is called silver... :D

Regardless, as for your question, Silver, copper, and even aluminum will probably work better than a silicone-based grease (IMO)

EDIT: However, I'll second that I've never seen copper grease either ;)

Last edited:
Are you talking about the stuff used to prevent bolts from sticking due to heat? I've seen this stuff, usually called copper paste. Haven't heard about anyone trying it for a TIM though.. But if it's that stuff, it isn't really designed for transfering heat, rather to provide some sort of lubrication even after exposure to high temperatures. (Often used on when mounting brake pads on cars..)

im using thermal grease right now, im just gonna wait for sum1 to post bout copper paste results b4 i decide to get one or get as5 :D

Silver, copper, and even aluminum will probably work better than a silicone-based grease (IMO)

I thought that all thermal pastes used either silicone-based or ester-based grease and mixed in heat-conductive powders, like silver or zinc oxide.

BTW, I found that an ohm meter doesn't measure electrical conductivity reliably because when I stuck the probes into some paste designed to conduct electricity, the meter read infinite ohms.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but what I remember is the following: the main reason you chose thermal grease instead of tooth paste is the stability over time. Actually I remember pretty clearly this was Nevin's answer when some guy did exactly that (measured temperatures of AS against tooth paste). Nevin also said that is very easy to find a better thermal thermal interface for a short period of time
I will try to find a link but this was a while ago...

Silver is still better than gold in heat conductivity. Don't know about platinum though.

germanjulian said:
every review I see artic ceramique is cooler the AS5.

any its not conductive and its easier to apply.

Thats because ever review you have read that shows Ceramique beating Arctic Silver 5 is flawed and wrong.

The reviewers forgot to allow 200 hours or more to let the Arctic Silver 5 reach optimum performance. (Arctic Silver 5 temps will drop 2-5*celcius after 200 or more hours.

Those reviews you read have the facts all wrong, that or they did not have the patience to wait the required time.. :rolleyes:

germanjulian said:
every review I see artic ceramique is cooler the AS5.

any its not conductive and its easier to apply.

Really? Well I disagree. I switched from ceramique to AS5 and my temps dropped about 3 degrees celsius. My P4 was running at 30-31 idle and now it runs between 27-28 idle. Not too bad for nothing more than switching the TIM

Back