• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Grease???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello everyone. I know this thread is old. However coming across this site and thread, I decided to try some Loctite copper paste I got for my brake job. I mixed some with Thermaltake thermal paste I got with my Thermaltake Riing 12 LED ring fan processor cooler. The Loctite copper paste is just as sticky as the Thermaltake thermal paste meaning the consistency was the same. I did get a positive result though the difference isn't record breaking. Thermaltake paste alone I was hanging around 37 degrees celcius with my i5 4690K stable overclocked to 4.3 GHz. Mixed with the copper paste, I got around a 6 degree drop. Now it hangs around 31-32 degrees celcius. I'm guessing with the copper in it, it created a copper to copper contact with the heat pipes which created the improvement. So this does prove it works a little bit at least with my experience from using the Loctite copper paste. I have seen better improvements from someone who delidded their processor and replaced the lid with a well crafted new lid made of a copper plate on a different site but, I am happy for the improvement however slight.

Looks promising...but Idle temps aren't really relevant though. The sensors aren't as accurate there as they are under load and so what you see at idle likely doesn't translate where it matters when loaded.

That is also, I'd guess, conductive... so some additional care should be used too...

I'd like to see this empirically tested under load instead of idle where God only knows what variables were inadvertent, different (mount, paste application, etc).

Last edited:
I for sure will see what happens under load. Yes, definitely if anyone else decides to try this, be careful not to over do it. I applied a small amount that spread out to a thin layer when the heat sink was installed. Just follow the normal advice on avoiding using too much thermal paste and keep it away from any metal contacts. I wasn't adventurous enough to try copper paste alone but, maybe next time I have to replace the paste I'll try it. For easy application, I mixed it right in the Thermatake applicator. Disclaimer: I am not telling anyone to try this. If you decide to try this it is your responsibility to be extremely careful with your equipment.

Last edited:
Here I was preparing a long multi-quote reply before I realizes this thread is 16 years old :facepalm:

I believe the original poster was asking about this particular stuff. My response off the cuff is that the particles are too large. The goal is to fill in the gap created by microscopic peaks and valleys in the metal. However it's interesting to mix it, I would like to see some load data as well.

I can't get my print screen to work right but after a couple of days my idle core temps have dropped down to the low 30s and while I'm playing World of Tanks HD, they will not go above the mid 40s. I used to see upper 60s while gaming. I consider this a successful experiment. I used to think that maybe I invested in the wrong cooler but the problem was actually the paste. Go figure. Unless it's all you have, from my experience I personally would not recommend the Thermaltake thermal paste that is supplied with their coolers. It is likely best to spend some money on better paste.

Last edited:
It's important to recognize that there are a lot of uncontrolled factors in cooling, such as ambient temps, mounting pressure, paste spread, processor load etc. It's definitely interesting though.

Back