• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper Grease???????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
madcow235 said:
Silver is second to only diamond and graphite in conductivity

This makes me want to try powdered pencil lead mixed with silicone grease (or AS Ceramique). I wonder how it would turn out.

every review I see artic ceramique is cooler the AS5.

I've noticed Shin Etsu to be far more 'responsive' (as in heating and cooling with the load) than AS5, possibly cooler overall but I can't tell (I'm using a differant h/s) both are excellent.....

Gotta give the AS5 a chance though, we'll see, at the 201st hour ;)

Silversinksam said:

Thats because ever review you have read that shows Ceramique beating Arctic Silver 5 is flawed and wrong.

The reviewers forgot to allow 200 hours or more to let the Arctic Silver 5 reach optimum performance. (Arctic Silver 5 temps will drop 2-5*celcius after 200 or more hours.

Those reviews you read have the facts all wrong, that or they did not have the patience to wait the required time.. :rolleyes:

ha. the same applies to ceramique.

During the system's initial use, the heat from the CPU lowers the viscosity of the compound to enhance the filling of the microscopic valleys and ensure a minimum bond line between the heatsink and the CPU core. Then the compound thickens slightly over the next 100 to 300 hours of use to its final consistency designed for long-term stability.

and most reviews do mention that after a certain time the compound will settle and the heat transfer should be better.

AS5:
Thermal Conductance:
>350,000W/m2 °C (0.001 inch layer)

Thermal Resistance:
<0.0045°C-in2/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Average Particle Size:
<0.49 microns <0.000020 inch

Extended Temperature Limits:
Peak: –50°C to >180°C Long-Term: –50°C to 130°C

Ceramique:
Thermal Resistance:
<0.007°C-in2/Watt (0.001 inch layer)

Thermal Conductance:
>200,000W/m2.°C (0.001 inch layer)

Average Particle Size:
<0.38 microns <0.000015 inch
( 67 particles lined up in a row equal 1/1000th of an inch. )

Temperature limits:
Peak: –150°C to >180°C Long-Term: –150°C to 125°C

Coverage Area:
2.5-gram syringes. (About 1cc)
At a layer 0.003" thick, one tube will cover approximately 20 square inches.

22-gram syringes. (About 8cc)
At a layer 0.003" thick, one tube will cover approximately 160 square inches.

notice the partical size. ceramique is smaller. notice the thermal conductivity. AS5 is a lot greater. ?

AS5 is better in most reviews but not all (WHY?) and all reviews dont test propably cause none of them dont burn in the paste for at least 1 week. (and cool down as well).

ok ok as5 is better

:D

EDIT: OMG instead of pasting the AS5 details in I did ceramique twice upps

Last edited:
Only a very small amount of Arctic Silver is needed on small CPU cores like Intel P3s and AMDs. Transfer about 1/2 the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/4 of a BB for small core CPUs.

what the hell is a BB. baked bean?
rofl dont think so cause thats a lot.

so for my barton core I put half the grain size of uncooked rice in the middle of my core??

dam thats soooo little. but the again it spreads. ( :D I have way to much paste on my cpu at home)
maybe my CPU temps will drop by 4C this weekend. cant wait

oh Copper paste review
http://www.thetechzone.com/reviews/roundup/thermal_compound/page5.shtml

Agent_Mull said:
oh, i want some diamond paste. They can make artificial diamonds in labs, so it wouldnt be too expensive.

No point unless you have a diamond heatsink... If your grease is better than the heatsink, you've still only got a copper heatsink... it will just act like there is a perfect connection between the core and the HS.

larrymoencurly said:
Silver, copper, and even aluminum will probably work better than a silicone-based grease (IMO)

I thought that all thermal pastes used either silicone-based or ester-based grease and mixed in heat-conductive powders, like silver or zinc oxide.

BTW, I found that an ohm meter doesn't measure electrical conductivity reliably because when I stuck the probes into some paste designed to conduct electricity, the meter read infinite ohms.

Electrical conductivity is not the same as thermal conductivity, therefore the ohm meter would do nothing for you.

ChillPhatCat said:

it will just act like there is a perfect connection between the core and the HS.

i think that is the point of a thermal compound. trying to get a perfect connection.

arabarabian said:
As far as thermal conducting capabilities copper is one of the better materials out there but it still does not match or come near silver. It is cheap enough to get Artic Silver so don't bother trying to find copper grease, if they make it.

Daniel

Actually, copper is a very close second to silver, having about 97% of it's conductivity. I suspect the reason you don't see it often used in greases is that it must be more difficult to make into fine powder and / or it oxidizes too quickly with that much surface area. I did try some "copper" grease once, and it was barely better than the generic stuff ... it was copper "colored" but may not have had much copper, if any, in it, kind of like that Arctic Silver knock-off stuff that recently got recalled because it was found to have zero silver in it!

KK

"Silver is the most conductive of all the commonly available metals and is relatively willing to enter a state of fluidic suspension. Although copper is another choice, it does not enter a suspended state as readily and is harder to work with."

ChillPhatCat said:

No point unless you have a diamond heatsink... If your grease is better than the heatsink, you've still only got a copper heatsink... it will just act like there is a perfect connection between the core and the HS.
But just b/c its a copper hs doesnt mean that it cant dissipate the heat. I could have a copper plate and it wouldnt cool as good as my slk-700. just as if i had a diamond block, it wouldnt cool as well as an dlk-700(i made that up. d=diamond :D).
But the most exciting part about silicon/based computer is when diamonds replace the silicon. Diamond can withstand heat heat like no other.

Agent_Mull said:
oh, i want some diamond paste. They can make artificial diamonds in labs, so it wouldnt be too expensive.

Why not get some Shin Etsu? :D

Actually, Diamonds don't handle as much heat as you think.
They will start to oxidize and turn into CO and CO2 around 1,300f.
That's why we coat them with a Boron glaze before doing any soldering.
Tungston is tops where high heat is concerned. (6200f)

Compare the heat of vaporization of Tungston and
Carbon one time.

BTW ...........
If you want to try using a Copper compound look into
Permatex Copper Anti-seize.

Last edited:
CopperGrease Test.

E6550 2,[email protected]
Stock Intel Cooler.

Load - Boinc Aqua CPU

Arctic Silver 5
Idle 25-27c
Load 55-56c

Coppergrease Test1
Idle 21-23c
Load 55-57c

Coppergrease Test2
Idle 20-21c
Load 52-53c

Most stock coolers have a thermally controlled fan (look for a little thermisistor in the fan body), you'd get better test results from a 2pin or 3pin wired onto that heatsink, or another heatsink with a non-controlled fan.

EDIT:
Also, what are the ambient temps for those three tests?

The fan isn't thermally controlled, It runs at 2300rpm all time.
My ambient temps by the computers is 19-20c

intel stock hs's are PWM controlled fans, most/all bios's will control fan speed based on cpu temp. from your newest post cell, it sounds like you set the fan to run at a certain RPM all the time?

Back