• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Temp - A program for accurate Intel temperature monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Beta Version 0.99.0.1 - 2nd May, 2008

Changes from previous beta:

- Fix: CPU load would sometimes display -1% load.
- Fix: AMD K8 would sometimes spike to 206C, the false reading is now ignored.
- Fix: Core Temp does not show up automatically on G15 LCD with 2.02 driver.
- Fix: Shared memory structure was not properly filled on multiprocessor systems.

Is there a way to run CoreTemp in Vista WITHOUT turning off the UAC AND aslo NOT see that nag screen??

Z

EDIT::: I found the cure. Seems its another Vista nag screen to find and disable. all is well now but the Core Temp icon has this shield on it indicating it needs admin premissions. WHAT A MESS.

Last edited:
Beta Version 0.99.0.8 - 7th May, 2008

Changes from previous beta:

- Fix: System tray setting "Show highest temperature" only displays one temperature reading in multi CPU system.
- Fix: Mobile 45nm Intel CPUs should now be correctly recognized *hopes really hard* - needs testers
- Fix: Certain problems with font resizing should now be fixed.
- Fix: G15 LCD would not update after using soft buttons.
- Fix: On temperature display mode change, high and low records were not reset.

- Add: Support for Intel Core 2 Duo E7000 45nm series.

- Change: Improved detection of L2 cache on Intel chips for accurate recognition.
- Change: Rewritten temperature calculation to fix problems with shared memory. Needs more testing to confirm as 100% working. (Play with temperature modes... Fahrenheit, Delta to TjMax)

Please help me out test this beta, see if you can dig up more bugs that need to be fixed.

Is there a way to run CoreTemp in Vista WITHOUT turning off the UAC AND aslo NOT see that nag screen??

Z

EDIT::: I found the cure. Seems its another Vista nag screen to find and disable. all is well now but the Core Temp icon has this shield on it indicating it needs admin premissions. WHAT A MESS.

As Core Temp has to load a driver when it runs, a user must have administrator privileges.
I'd also like to know how do you disable that nag screen that asks you to always allow Core Temp when you run it.

Last edited:
In Vista hit Start then Search. (LOL I did say search) and type "security" There you will see 2 sets of features in the RIGHT panel. Select "Local Security Policy". You will then choose "Local Policies" on the right panel of the next screen. Next pick "Security Options" also in the right panel. Now scroll all the way to the bottom. There are about 9 "User Account Control" options. The one lableled "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode". There will be a drop down menu with 3 options. Select "Elevate without prompting". You may get nag screens from the UAC while doing this. Once done you should now be able to run Core Temp without getting the darkened screen with the UAC asking if you reallllly want to run this. You WILL still see the security shield on the icon if you created a shortcut however CoreTemp WILL run without being prompted by the UAC. I hope this helped and was what you wanted to know.

Z

I have found that Some Vista Home users may not see the option "Local Security Policy". This fix for this is to edit the registery to do the same thing.

Press the Windows key, type regedit and press Enter. Browse down to this registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
2. You should see a key called PromptOnSecureDesktop. Double-click this and change the value to 0 (zero)

:D

Last edited:
Vista Sidebar Gadget - 14th May, 2008

A first public release of a Vista sidebar gadget for Core Temp, be sure to check it out. Latest Core Temp build also adds an option in the system tray settings to only display the Core Temp logo in case you're using the gadget and don't see the point for two places displaying temps.

Version 0.99 - 18th May, 2008

- Fix: Incorrect recognition of 45nm Mobile Intel CPUs.
- Fix: CPU temperature not displayed in Core Temp window on Phenom CPUs (0.98 and 0.98.1).
- Fix: CPU load would sometimes display -1% load.
- Fix: AMD K8 would sometimes spike to 206C, the false reading is now ignored.
- Fix: AMD K8 sometimes constantly reads -49C.
- Fix: Core Temp does not show up automatically on G15 LCD with 2.02 driver.
- Fix: Shared memory structure was not properly filled on multiprocessor systems.
- Fix: System tray setting "Show highest temperature of each CPU" only displays one temperature reading in a multi CPU system.
- Fix: Certain problems with font resizing should now be fixed.
- Fix: G15 LCD would not update after using soft buttons.
- Fix: On temperature display mode change, high and low records were not reset.
- Fix: Changing the reading interval in settings did not actually update, restart of Core Temp was needed to apply the change.
- Fix: Incorrect VID detection on 45nm desktop Intel parts.

- Add: Shared memory - developers now have access to Core Temp data.
- Add: Register dump to text file function.
- Add: Preliminary Atom (Silverthorne) support - Untested.
- Add: Support for Intel Core 2 Duo E7000 45nm series.
- Add: Option to show a single icon instead of temperature in the system tray.
- Add: Custom font and size for G15 LCD screen or simply use the built in compact font and layout. (via Settings.ini)

- Change: Improved detection of L2 cache on Intel chips for more accurate recognition.
- Change: Rewritten temperature calculation to fix problems with shared memory. Needs more testing to confirm as 100% working.
- Change: Default G15 LCD text layout and font changed.
- Change: Doesn't create a log file containing session start and end times if logging is disabled.
- Change: Settings.ini file is automatically created with default settings in case one doesn't already exist.

Vista Sidebar Gadget - 14th May, 2008

A first public release of a Vista sidebar gadget for Core Temp, be sure to check it out. Latest Core Temp build also adds an option in the system tray settings to only display the Core Temp logo in case you're using the gadget and don't see the point for two places displaying temps.

MircCoreTemp plug-in - 17th May, 2008

You need SystemInfo script and latest Beta Core Temp

Last edited:
New features are coming to next Core Temp

This is currently in a very early development. I've been working on this for the last couple of days.
If anyone ever saw PerfMonitor by Franck (CPU-z), then the idea came from his work, and he has helped me out a bit on several points.

Anyway here are the screenshots:

The graph is resizable. I still need to work a little bit on the efficiency of this thing but it's looking good right now.
All colors are customizable:
Background
Text color
Graph color
Grid color
Frame color (yellow in the pics)
0° graph (not shown in the pics)
Title text (up to 30 chars)

Do let me know what you think.

This is currently in a very early development. I've been working on this for the last couple of days.
If anyone ever saw PerfMonitor by Franck (CPU-z), then the idea came from his work, and he has helped me out a bit on several points.

The graph is resizable. I still need to work a little bit on the efficiency of this thing but it's looking good right now.
All colors are customizable:
Background
Text color
Graph color
Grid color
Frame color (yellow in the pics)
0° graph (not shown in the pics)
Title text (up to 30 chars)

Do let me know what you think.

Art,

That is a great new features there, thanks.

Suggestion :

Lets Microsoft Perfomance Monitor to do the charting & logging stuff, but make the coretemp capable of running as a service instead of a program, so it can be really handy for logging and other triggered events in various automation in handling cpu temperature related issue.

Updates on the progress can be seen here:
http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=422

Art,

Suggestion :

Lets Microsoft Perfomance Monitor to do the charting & logging stuff, but make the coretemp capable of running as a service instead of a program, so it can be really handy for logging and other triggered events in various automation in handling cpu temperature related issue.

I'm considering that.

Updates on the progress can be seen here:
http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=422

I'm considering that.

Art,

Suggestion :

I'm not sure if this is what you're getting at, but some way of logging temperatures and vcore etc. to disk would be really useful for diagnosing crashes. The only problem is that you need to have logged the details soon before you crash, which means you'd have to write to disk pretty frequently. Does that make sense?

I'm not quite sure what is the problem, but Core Temp has logging to a file right already...

Download

graph8fm6.png

This is a little add on for Core Temp. Currently it's in public beta phase, not ready as final, but ready enough for public testing.
Simply extract both files in the ZIP, run the exe. Core Temp 0.99 must be running for it to work.
A 3rd file "Grapher.ini" is created with defaults. You can edit that file and restart to program to apply changes. (You can also click the Actions --> Reload colors to update the colors on the fly from the ini file, without the need to restart the app).
All settings are pretty straight forward. A later version will include a GUI for the settings.

Please post all bugs, problems and suggestions in this thread.

not sure why might be going on here coolest. i got brolloks E7200 here and his .97 showed vid 1.087 my .95 said the same, but .99 says 1.200v. are you still working on getting E7000's listed for support,jw? also i got a intel atom here at my place going up on june 9th, if you need more test on it LMK! thanks for all the hard work man!

Oh!
A register dump file + a screenshot at idle and full load would be great!
If you have an IM that'd be even more awesome :)

Regarding the E7200, Core Temp wasn't reading the 45nm voltage correctly untill 0.99 :) The fix is mentioned in the change log.

Back