• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Temp - A program for accurate Intel temperature monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CT Grapher 1.0 Beta, build 1.0.0.2 - June 9th

- Add: Logging, creates a PNG file per graph with full history.

*Note: Please delete the old ini file before use.
Download

I'm very new at monitoring hardware and came across this nice program to check the temperature on my CPU.

How do I know if my laptop's CPU is running at an optimum temperature?

CPUID = 0x6E8
APICID = 0
Revision = C0
Processor = Intel Core Duo ULV L2400 (Yonah DC)
Frequency = 1064.00MHz (133.00 x 8.0)
Platform = Socket 479
VID = 0.9750v

Tj. Max = 100 C
Core 0 = 67 C 11%load
Core 1 65 C 9%load

Thanks in advance.

I'm very new at monitoring hardware and came across this nice program to check the temperature on my CPU.

How do I know if my laptop's CPU is running at an optimum temperature?

CPUID = 0x6E8
APICID = 0
Revision = C0
Processor = Intel Core Duo ULV L2400 (Yonah DC)
Frequency = 1064.00MHz (133.00 x 8.0)
Platform = Socket 479
VID = 0.9750v

Tj. Max = 100 C
Core 0 = 67 C 11%load
Core 1 65 C 9%load

Thanks in advance.

temps look normal to me, laptops run hot by nature. i saw one intel based one running 80c under load. the mac mini using intel mobile parts was running closer to 90c.

Possible new feature for Core Temp 1.0: Plugin engine

The Coolest said:
I'm starting to build a plugin engine for Core Temp.
Besides shared memory, which allows developers to create their own standalone applications, plugin capability in Core Temp would mean that a user can install plugins into Core Temp to add new features and functionality.
As the most simple example, "Core Temp Grapher" will be converted into a plugin, meaning users will be able to have it as an integral part of Core Temp without the need of running an extra standalone program.

Plugins are very useful in that anyone can easily extend the usability or functionality of an application, as the interface to the host is usually an open standard.
This also makes the application modular, meaning that replacing or updating code will be as easy as replacing a DLL file in a directory.
I'm really excited about this and hope I can make this happen soon.

What do you guys think?

Source

I'd really like some feedback. I think people with some developer's knowledge would probably see why this is a great addition. Extending functionality without actually touching a single line of code in the main executable.

And to other news... :p
A new version - 0.99.1 will soon hit public beta.
It adds support for new CPUs like Nehalem, Atom, the new 45W AMD K8s.
There are a few bug fixes and some new features and changes, mostly GUI related.
All the settings were finally moved to the ini file. The only thing that remains in the registry is the option to start Core Temp with windows. (no way around that)

Source

I'd really like some feedback. I think people with some developer's knowledge would probably see why this is a great addition. Extending functionality without actually touching a single line of code in the main executable.

And to other news... :p
A new version - 0.99.1 will soon hit public beta.
It adds support for new CPUs like Nehalem, Atom, the new 45W AMD K8s.
There are a few bug fixes and some new features and changes, mostly GUI related.
All the settings were finally moved to the ini file. The only thing that remains in the registry is the option to start Core Temp with windows. (no way around that)

got one that runs in linux? im just asking, im looking down the road for some atoms to run linux. wonder if you are still going to have a plugin for network cpu temp monitoring that would be cool. for the people with FAH/seti farms in their house.

got one that runs in linux? im just asking, im looking down the road for some atoms to run linux. wonder if you are still going to have a plugin for network cpu temp monitoring that would be cool. for the people with FAH/seti farms in their house.

To make Core Temp run on Linux I will have to rewrite Core Temp from scratch.
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon.

thats a good idea, then you could have a host program that just monitors those reported temps and graphs the data, plus give you alerts if they get hot. I would use that at work to monitor the server temperatures.

Version 0.99.1 - 10th July, 2008

- Fix: Layout when using upto 125% DPI.
- Fix: Layout problem and extra systemtray icons with Phenom.
- Fix: Potential crashes while saving a register dump file.
- Fix: Core Temp icon wasn't showing in About box.
- Fix: Menu shortcut keys were not available for all menu items.
- Fix: A few old unnoticable bugs.

- Add: Initial Intel Nehalem support.
- Add: Initial support for AMD's Griffin cores - Untested.
- Add: Improved Intel Atom support.
- Add: Support latest AMD K8 CPUs.
- Add: Support for HyperThreaded CPUs. Core Temp will only display the physical cores and average load on each core.
- Add: Support for Pentium E5000 series.
- Add: Display core and thread count per CPU.
- Add: GUI Adjustments of Temperature offset and G15 applet via the Settings window.
- Add: Create a screenshot function. Access from "Options" menu or by F9 shortcut.
- Add: Shortcut key for register dump file: F7.
- Add: Update register dump output: APIC ID, CPU number, Core number, Thread number.

- Change: Move all settings to the ini file out of the registry.
- Change: Rename ini file to CoreTemp.ini.
- Change: Temperature offset adjustment works for AMD CPUs as well.
- Change: Atom Tj.Max adjusted for more accurate readings.
- Change: Cleaned up code a little bit.

Version 0.99.2 - 18th August, 2008

- Fix: Start with Windows option was broken in 0.99.1.
- Fix: Default color for the second system tray icon is invisible with WinXP blue theme.
- Fix: Save screenshot function would create a corrupted BMP in some viewing software.
- Fix: Nehalem does not report VID like earlier CPUs. VID field now disabled for Nehalem.
- Fix: Incorrect 65nm Turion X2 code name detection.
- Fix: Potential bug of improper K10 and up recognition.
- Fix: Enabling distance to Tj.Max with "Highest temp." for system tray would show the largest distance to Tj.Max instead of smallest.
- Fix: Vendor ID and Device ID values were reversed in the register dump file.
- Fix: 3/4 temperatures logged for Phenom X3/X4 instead of 1.

- Add: Support for Core Temp plugins. (Still in beta phase and not in GUI yet).
- Add: Full support for AMD's Puma platform CPUs (in previous version reffered to as Griffin).
- Add: Initial support for 45nm AMD processors.
- Add: Update K8 and K10 recognition code to support all currently known CPUs.
- Add: Default TDP detection for Nehalem.
- Add: On the fly CPU speed detection.
- Add: Close to system tray option.

- Change: Log file is now produced in CSV format - easily import your logs into Excel.
- Change: Logging interval is now in Seconds instead of miliseconds.
- Change: Default logging interval is now 10 seconds.
- Change: Logging is now off by default.

Version 0.99.2 - 18th August, 2008

- Fix: Start with Windows option was broken in 0.99.1.
- Fix: Default color for the second system tray icon is invisible with WinXP blue theme.
- Fix: Save screenshot function would create a corrupted BMP in some viewing software.
- Fix: Nehalem does not report VID like earlier CPUs. VID field now disabled for Nehalem.
- Fix: Incorrect 65nm Turion X2 code name detection.
- Fix: Potential bug of improper K10 and up recognition.
- Fix: Enabling distance to Tj.Max with "Highest temp." for system tray would show the largest distance to Tj.Max instead of smallest.
- Fix: Vendor ID and Device ID values were reversed in the register dump file.
- Fix: 3/4 temperatures logged for Phenom X3/X4 instead of 1.

- Add: Support for Core Temp plugins. (Still in beta phase and not in GUI yet).
- Add: Full support for AMD's Puma platform CPUs (in previous version reffered to as Griffin).
- Add: Initial support for 45nm AMD processors.
- Add: Update K8 and K10 recognition code to support all currently known CPUs.
- Add: Default TDP detection for Nehalem.
- Add: On the fly CPU speed detection.
- Add: Close to system tray option.

- Change: Log file is now produced in CSV format - easily import your logs into Excel.
- Change: Logging interval is now in Seconds instead of miliseconds.
- Change: Default logging interval is now 10 seconds.
- Change: Logging is now off by default.

Got it. Thank you Tel Aviv!

Hey man thanks for all your hard work, but I really have just decided to stick with RealTemp. Would have expected your new version to show the same TJmax on my e8500 as realtemp.

Hey man thanks for all your hard work, but I really have just decided to stick with RealTemp. Would have expected your new version to show the same TJmax on my e8500 as realtemp.

We'll have all the needed info on TjMax etc this week and Core Temp will be updated as needed.
And you can change the TjMax in the settings... :eek:

Off topic:
this guy is a machine, i tell you what!

hehe.
How have you been doing? :p

Following Intel's presentation about the DTS at IDF yesterday, Core Temp has been updated.

Version 0.99.3 - 22th August, 2008

- Add: Correct TjMax values for 45nm Core 2 series, according to this document.

- Fix: When TjMax = 0 (undefined) "Delta to Tjunction" was not added to the temperature string.

Version 0.99.4 - 23rd January, 2009

Major changes:
Completely rewritten base code.
Core Temp is now available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

- Add: CPU detection improved, efficiency improved, speed improved, clock speed detection improved.
- Add: Initial support for Core i5 (Lynnfield).
- Add: Automatically detect Core i7/i5 series TjMax.
- Add: Show real-time TDP of Core i7 processors (still needs work).
- Add: Alternative clock speed detection for Core 2, i7 and i5 series and up.
- Add: Support for all currently available and some future processor families. (Intel & AMD)
- Add: Temperature changes color when temperatures hit high levels to alert the user. (Orange = hot, Red = critical)
- Add: Show (!) besides the temperature of a core which hit critical temp as a notification of past overheating.
- Add: Invalid temperature values are followed by (?) for both Intel and AMD.
- Add: AMD AM2+ 65nm processors get a 21c offset to fix incorrect temperature reporting (info from AMD).
- Add: AMD Black Edition processors identified by "BE" suffix after PR rating.
- Add: Display time and date on G15 LCD.
- Add: Complete DPI awareness - Core Temp GUI now scales perfectly with any DPI setting.
- Add: Rewritten algorithm for "Register dump" function, works much faster and more accurate (no ghost devices).

- Add: Redesigned log file system:
1) Settings window allows to start logging when Core Temp starts.
Logging can be toggled on or off from the Options menu or simply by pressing F4.
2) Layout is completely changed. Now it's easy to create graphs and the output is more coherent and understandable.
3) CSV file format is preserved.
4) Each logging session creates a seperate log file named with time and date of session start.
5) Logging is now off by default.

- Add: Register dump provides much more information:
1) Supported instruction set.
2) Supported features.
3) Manufacturing node.
4) Default CPU speed, multiplier range and maximum VID.
5) Bus ratio multiplier.
6) Processor and OS thread counts.
7) Cache: Count and size.
8) Processor topology.
9) PCI register dump also lists device names when "PCIDEVS.TXT" file is added to Core Temp's directory.
Link (scroll down a little)
10) Better output layout, easier to read.

- Fix: Core Temp crashes on Intel multi-processor platforms with Socket #0 unpopulated.
- Fix: Countless minor bug fixes due to rewritten code base.
- Fix: System tray icons do not appear after explorer.exe crash/restart

- Change: Core Temp will now work with A0 and A1 revisions of 65nm Core 2 processors.
- Change: Core Temp will not work on some/all virtual machine software.
- Change: TjMax values for 65nm Core 2 series adjusted.

This is a Beta bug-fix release. Please report if you find any problems or have any suggestions please let me know so they can be fixed/implemented before the final release.

Version 0.99.4 (Build 75) - 27rd January, 2009

- Add: Show high/low temperatures. (Press F6 or the Tools menu to reset values)
- Add: On/Off switch for G15 applet in Tools menu.

- Fix: Settings window would open centered, and sometimes out of the desktop area.
- Fix: System tray icon very small in Windows 2000/XP/2003.
- Fix: AMD Athlon X2 4x50e series detected as 3x50e.
- Fix: Add support for Mobile Athlon 64 X2 TK-xx series and Turion 64 MK-xx series.
- Fix: Workaround added for when Core Temp fails to find supported CPUs on Phenom based systems.

- Change: Reorganized menu.
- Change: Only detect ES status for Core 2 series. Core i7 and Atom detection was incorrect.
- Change: TjMax for mobile Atom processors changed to 90C.
- Change: "Lion" codename for AMD Turion was changed to "Griffin".

32bit
64bit

Last edited:
Temp Measuring

Glad to try another. RivaTuner and RealTemp disagree by 6-7 degrees C.

Change log since the previous beta:

Version 0.99.5 (Build 6) - 7th February, 2009

- Add: Thermal protection mechanism. (Look at Options menu)
- Add: Mini mode for GUI. (Double click anywhere to switch between modes)
- Add: Per core temperature offset adjustment. (Look at Options menu)
- Add: Screenshots are now taken in the lossless but very compact PNG format.
- Add: User defined text colors for main Window. (Options --> Settings)

- Fix: PROCHOT signal from Intel CPUs was not picked up correctly.
- Fix: Core Temp would start out of the desktop area, and the main Window couldn't be seen/accessed.
- Fix: AMD K8 series incorrectly reports temperature at over 200C (CPU bug, workaround applied).
- Fix: High/low temperatures would be reversed when "Show distance to TjMax" was enabled.
- Fix: Clicking "Defaults" button in settings would enable logging when it should be disabled by default.
- Fix: "Show highest temp of each CPU" systemtray icon configuration sometimes reports duplicate readings.

- Change: Completely dropped support for older Windows NT OS, Windows XP or up is required.
(For Windows 2000: download GDIPlus.dll here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus)

Download:
32bit
64bit

Official support thread on Core Temp forums.

Last edited:
Back