• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Temp - A program for accurate Intel temperature monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
0.99.5 Beta

List of changes since the last official release:

Version 0.99.5 (Build 20) - 12th March, 2009

- Fix: Incorrect clock speeds reported on some systems.
- Fix: At startup Core Temp shows 0 (?) or 21 (?) on AMD K8 series.
- Fix: Turion MK series recognition was wrong.
- Fix: Properly detect Atom and Core i7 engineering samples.
- Fix: Tri-Core AMD CPUs incorrectly shown as having only 2 cores and 2 threads in 64bit Core Temp binary.
- Fix: System tray text was off center.
- Fix: Penryn (mobile Core 2) processors reported as having 85C TjMax instead of 90C.
- Fix: Settings window would open centered, and sometimes out of the desktop area.
- Fix: System tray icon very small in Windows 2000/XP/2003.
- Fix: AMD Athlon X2 4x50e series detected as 3x50e.
- Fix: Add support for Mobile Athlon 64 X2 TK-xx series and Turion 64 MK-xx series.
- Fix: Workaround added for when Core Temp fails to find supported CPUs on Phenom based systems.
- Fix: PROCHOT signal from Intel CPUs was not picked up correctly.
- Fix: Core Temp would start out of the desktop area, and the main Window couldn't be seen/accessed.
- Fix: AMD K8 series incorrectly reports temperature at over 200C (CPU bug, workaround applied).
- Fix: High/low temperatures would be reversed when "Show distance to TjMax" was enabled.
- Fix: Clicking "Defaults" button in settings would enable logging when it should be disabled by default.
- Fix: "Show highest temp of each CPU" systemtray icon configuration sometimes reports duplicate readings.

- Add: Completely new code for processor speed detection.
- Add: A comprehensive processor information windows (F3 or Tools --> System information).
- Add: Thermal protection mechanism. (Look at Options menu)
- Add: Mini mode for GUI. (Double click anywhere to switch between modes)

- Add: Per core temperature offset adjustment. (Look at Options menu)
- Add: Screenshots are now taken in the lossless but very compact PNG format.
- Add: User defined text colors for main Window. (Options --> Settings)
- Add: Show high/low temperatures. (Press F6 or the Tools menu to reset values)
- Add: On/Off switch for G15 applet in Tools menu.
- Add: Running several instances of Core Temp is now possible (enable in Settings).

- Change: Temp turns Orange when temperature is over TControl, and Red when CPU is thottling/critical.
- Change: Reorganized menu.
- Change: TjMax for mobile Atom processors changed to 90C.
- Change: "Lion" codename for AMD Turion was changed to "Griffin".
- Change: Completely dropped support for older Windows NT OS, Windows XP or up is required.
(For Windows 2000: download GDIPlus.dll here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus)

Official support thread on Core Temp forums.

Version 0.99.5 - 3rd August, 2009

- Fix: Incorrect clock speeds reported on some systems.
- Fix: At startup Core Temp shows 0 (?) or 21 (?) on AMD K8 series.
- Fix: Turion MK series recognition was wrong.
- Fix: Properly detect Atom and Core i7 engineering samples.
- Fix: Tri-Core AMD CPUs incorrectly shown as having only 2 cores and 2 threads in 64bit Core Temp binary.
- Fix: System tray text was off center.
- Fix: Penryn (mobile Core 2) processors reported as having 85C TjMax instead of 90C.
- Fix: Settings window would open centered, and sometimes out of the desktop area.
- Fix: System tray icon very small in Windows 2000/XP/2003.
- Fix: AMD Athlon X2 4x50e series detected as 3x50e.
- Fix: Using a negative offset on AMD systems results in "42949672xx°C" being displayed.
- Fix: Add support for Mobile Athlon 64 X2 TK-xx series and Turion 64 MK-xx series.
- Fix: Workaround added for when Core Temp fails to find supported CPUs on Phenom based systems.
- Fix: PROCHOT signal from Intel CPUs was not picked up correctly.
- Fix: Core Temp would start out of the desktop area, and the main Window couldn't be seen/accessed.
- Fix: False overheating warning on AMD systems.
- Fix: False readings of over 200C° on AMD systems.
- Fix: High/low temperatures would be reversed when "Show distance to TjMax" was enabled.
- Fix: Clicking "Defaults" button in settings would enable logging when it should be disabled by default.
- Fix: 23xx and 83xx series AMD Opterons recognized as 83xx and 23xx respectively.
- Fix: System tray icons appear incorrectly on AMD K10 and newer CPUs.
- Fix: "Show highest temp of each CPU" systemtray icon configuration sometimes reports duplicate readings.
- Fix: G15 applet did not work after resuming from Sleep/Suspend.

- Add: Completely new code for processor speed detection.
- Add: A comprehensive processor information window (F3 or Tools --> System information).
- Add: Thermal protection mechanism. (Look at Options menu, changed from 0.99.5.20 beta)
- Add: Support for the latest AMD and Intel CPUs.
- Add: Mini mode for GUI. (Double click anywhere to switch between modes)

- Add: Per core temperature offset adjustment. (Look at Options menu)
- Add: Screenshots are now taken in the lossless but very compact PNG format.
- Add: User defined text colors for main Window. (Options --> Settings)
- Add: Show high/low temperatures. (Press F6 or the Tools menu to reset values)
- Add: On/Off switch for G15 applet in Tools menu.
- Add: Running several instances of Core Temp is now possible (enable in Settings).

- Change: Temp turns Orange when temperature is over TControl, and Red when CPU is thottling/critical.
- Change: Reorganized menu.
- Change: "Lion" codename for AMD Turion was changed to "Griffin".
- Change: Completely dropped support for older Windows NT OS, Windows XP or up is required.
(For Windows 2000: download GDIPlus.dll here http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus)

Version 0.99.5.27 - 5th August, 2009

- Fix: Crash on AMD 45nm processors.

Last edited:

That's a big change from 125*c! Makes me feel better about the temps reported though, as that'd mean the atom in my netbook is really running at 40*c, not 75!

How'd you find out what the TjMax was?

That's a big change from 125*c! Makes me feel better about the temps reported though, as that'd mean the atom in my netbook is really running at 40*c, not 75!

How'd you find out what the TjMax was?
It's not 100% accurate, since some chips are probably still 125C, I just had a lot more input from people reporting major over reporting when 125C was set.

I use Coretemp, it's been great. A question and a feature request: I have Coretemp set to start automatically, minimized to the tray, so that the desktop gadget (in Windows 7) works at bootup without having to manually start coretemp. This doesn't work, it doesn't open automatically.

About the same desktop gadget, is it possible to change the number of cores it displays? I've got 8 cores, but the widget only displays four.

Apart from that, very useful program! I recommend it to anyone who needs such a thing.

Last edited:
So i finally got this latest version, and there is no way that the new Atom tjunction is correct, at least not on mine.
In 80*f ambients it has the core sitting at 8*c. Previous has it at 44ish, which seems much more reasonable.

The Coolest said:
Hi everybody!

I know an update is long overdue but real life kind of got in the way. With college, work and other related projects taking up the majority of my time I simply didn't have much or any time to work on Core Temp.
Anyway, the new version is now up on the main Core Temp page here:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

You'll notice that there are not many changes, mostly bug fixes and other small improvements.
Core Temp is now built on Visual C++ 2010, which means that the oldest supported operating system is Windows XP SP2, which I think should not be a problem.

Of course all new and some of the upcoming processors are now supported. For the Intel camp, in theory newer processors should not need Core Temp to be updated to be able to report accurate temperatures anymore (even if it doesn't recognize the processor itself).

One other major difference, and this goes to the Intel guys, is a totally new algorithm for clock speed detection.
The first and biggest change is that the new algorithm is now monitoring on a per-thread scale. This means the main window will display the highest processor speed out of all the running threads, and in System Information window you will be able to see the frequency of every single thread. (I'm saying "thread" because in the HT enabled Core i7 processors the frequency reported by each thread of a single core could differ).
It measures the frequency every 50ms and displays an average frequency over the span of 1 second. This should allow for more stable and accurate clock speed.
:)

Version 0.99.6 - 26th April, 2010

- Add: Support for new and upcoming Intel and AMD processors.
- Add: Better recognition of AMD dual/tri core unlocked CPUs.
- Add: Optional 24 hour display on G15 LCD.

- Fix: Platform field blank for newer AMD CPUs.
- Fix: Some K8 CPUs were unknown or recognized incorrectly.
- Fix: Overheat protection "Activate at specified temperature" problems were fixed.
- Fix: Overheat detection does not show a Balloon Tip when user specified temperature value is set.
- Fix: Temperature displays a negative value when core temperature reaches over TjMax (Intel).
- Fix: Intel W3500 series Xeons recognized with Core i7 model numbers (ie W3520 shown as Xeon 920)
- Fix: In certain cases Core 2 Duo T5500 was recognized as a T5450.
- Fix: G15 LCD display is no longer always-on-top after coming out of sleep or hibernation.
- Fix: G15 won't display 0.0000v in case VID readings are not supported by the CPU.
- Fix: In some cases, at Windows startup systemtray icons would not appear.

- Change: Windows XP SP2 or higher is now required.
- Change: Completely new processor frequency detection algorithm. (for Core 2 generation and newer only)
- Change: Remove "APICID" from main window as it has very little use.

Last edited:
Version 0.99.6.1 - 8th May, 2010

- Fix: Overheating protection.
- Fix: Incorrect detection of some Intel and AMD processors.
- Fix: Layout problems with AMD Phenom series and newer processors.

- Known issues: Intel processor speed detection displays extremely high numbers.

As you can see, most of the problems have been fixed. I'm still investigating the frequency issues, and will update as soon as I fix the problem.

I would like to report that incorrect detection still persists.
It would be nice to have computer with such speed flies through the roof. :)

23ied1i.jpg

Thanks for the updated version 99.6.2
It's now functioning properly with i3 series.

121z8ty.jpg

Last edited:
Version 0.99.7.0 - 26th June, 2010

- New: Implemented Windows 7 taskbar button features. (Under the Options menu)
- New: Clock modulation detection for Intel processors.
- New: Proper support the Phenom II X6 and Athlon L100 series.
- New: Support for the E3000 Celeron series.
- New: Displays the processor's manufacturing process. (Lithography)

- Fix: Intel frequency detection.
- Fix: Frequency doesn't update after exiting from Sleep or Hibernation. (Intel)
- Fix: Reading and logging intervals in Settings can't be changed.
- Fix: Minor Intel processor recognition issues.
- Fix: On some systems the System Information window would flood the screen with errors.
- Fix: G15 plugin restarts after resuming from sleep even if it was previously disabled from the menu.
- Fix: Overheating protection on AMD processors bug.

- Update: Rearranged the main GUI and added new information.
- Update: Added missing Intel Socket names.

There is also a new Media Center addon to see your CPU status here:

Version 0.99.7.3 - 5th July, 2010

- New: "Start Core Temp with Windows" feature on Windows Vista and 7.

- Fix: Taking a screenshot would not capture the whole window in Vista/7 with aero mode.
- Fix: Windows 7 taskbar Cycle mode only shows up after the first interval has elapsed.
- Fix: Overheating protection UI bug.
- Fix: The Mini-mode menu was not checked when Mini-mode was activated.
- Fix: Corrected the placement and size of the load label on Phenom based processors.
- Fix: Order of appearance of the system tray icons in Windows 7.

- Update: The appropriate G15 menu is now checked depending on the status of the G15 plug-in.
- Update: Added support for 12 core processors to temperature offset adjustment window.

Version 0.99.7.7 - 31st July, 2010

- New: Core Temp FAQ is now available online, see About Core Temp dialog.
- New: System tray icons for CPU speed and CPU load - see System Tray setup under Options.
- New: Support for the latest mobile AMD processors.

- Fix: Multiple "Fail" messages when the computer exits sleep or plugged into/unplugged from power (laptops).
- Fix: Several mobile Intel processor recognition issues.
- Fix: When disabling Windows 7 Taskbar feature with Cycle mode, icons still continue to cycle.
- Fix: Windows 7 Taskbar settings UI bug.

- Update: "Start with Windows" function in Vista and 7 now works on a per-user basis.
- Update: Change the time and date layout of the log file name to YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS.
- Update: All of the readings logged are now numeric only.
- Update: In single instance mode, the previous instance will be brought to the screen.

- Known issue: Core Temp may stop responding for a period of time or completely lockup on some systems when switching between power supplies (wall/battery) or exiting sleep/hibernation mode.

There is also a new version of the Core Temp sidebar gadget with many improvements and tweaks and a Media Center addon that I recommend you to check out here:
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/addons.html

Back