• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Core Temp" - CPU Temperature monitoring tool for the K8 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
RollingThunder said:
Coolest,

Your program is beginning to make more sense the more I use it. It is consistently showing 2-3C higher during short Prime95 runs of an hour or two than the methods used by Everest or Speedfan for detection. I would much sooner error on the side of a higher reading than readings determined by less accurate methods.

Blowing an AC 115v 3450 rpm fan used to reduce my Everest and Speedfan temps. Now that doesn't happen because obviously you really can't get into the CPU core that way with the heat sink in place.

Personally I would like to see temps in the system tray shown permanently while the program is running rather than by a hover method.
As I said that is in the works :)

ochungry said:
It Would be a good idea to have an option for user to calibrate the temp. another word, a way to increase or decrease the reading similar to MBM5. This way the user can adjust the reading according to some form of calibration. Those who remove the IHS and install a temp sensor on the core can adjust the CoreTemp according to the probe.

Well I like the idea, but it has a fault. You don't have any reference by which you could really callibrate this, a probe by the core does not give you internal core temperature.

Well here's a surprise - I noticed the other day that the numbers have reversed their order since I dl'ed the original CoreTemp ...

Test - July - Today
idle - 29/19 - 24/30
Prime95/core 0 - 30/25 - 28/31
Prime95/core 1 - 53/29 - 33/50
2x Prime95 - 53/35 - 36/50

I did notice a 2-3°C drop in CPU temps (from ASUS Probe II) in late August and assumed the AS5 had finally cured completely. Unfortunately I didn't take note of the CoreTemp reading at that time and didn't notice the switch. There have been no changes to the CPU mount, the ambient is still the same, and the case hasn't moved. I did retest Prime95 at a slightly higher OC and core 0 still errors first at the same speed as always. Weird ...

Cores were reversed, yes. It was done, because if you put a load on core #0 in windows, core #1 (or #2 in old ver) would get hotter, and when core #1 in windows was loaded then core #0 (or #1 in old ver) would get hotter.
In old versions they were reversed, new version fixes that bug.

I havnt read through the posts but is it normal for Core 0 to be idling 10 C hotter than Core 1 in Core temp program?? and same when under stress tests, Core 0 hits about 66 C and Core 1 hits about 60C tops. Is it a sensor misreading on the mobo?? or is it ok?

Well you should read the article that was posted on the 27th on the front page. Basically its normal, and it happens on lots of chips. Its probably caused by a poorly calibrated DTS in one of the cores.

There's nothing preventing it from running on Vista except Vista itself. The x64 RC2 doesn't let any unsigned drivers to run on the system, which causes Core Temp to crash and burn... You can run it if you start the system, hit F8 at the begining, and chose to disable this driver signing checking.

Bah! Can't believe I missed this thread when I was searching for the program last night. I need to check and see if my IHSless proc is seated properly.

Version 0.94 - 16th November, 2006
- Fix: Temperature log file not created in EXE folder.
- Fix: Temperature log file left "Processor" field blank.

- Add: An actual icon for the EXE/System tray.
- Add: An option to display temperature in Fahrenheit.
- Add: An option to start Core Temp minimized.

- Change: Only list physical processors in CPU selection.
- Change: Improve Intel CPU detection.

- Remove: GCPUID button.

Older versions

I know that many of you have expected to see a system tray icon that would display CPU temps.
I'm just way too busy to get any work done lately, I started some course so its work then come home and do homework.
Next release should have an OSD display if I can get it working quickly enough.
Hope you like the update, Intel users will get better CPU recognition and Revision detection.

Last edited:
I have tried Core Temp and think it an excellent app. The thing is core Temp gives temperatures 2-3C below what the MSi Corecenter shows, which is grand as its not very accurate (it actually took 8 bios versions to fix the temp reporting :mad: even in the bios, in a cold morning it would show min temp of 41C). Anyway, when I run Stress CPU the temp deference increases, as shown here.

temps.jpg

Any ideas why this happens and which one is right? Spec below, except I now have a FX-55 (ClawHammer). Got it free :D

Looks great Coolest. The Icon is sharp looking and a nice touch.
Hate to point out one tiny error to you :)
the Temp log 2nd column should be (Core #1). you have both #1 &#2 columns as (Core#0). I know you are busy and find little window of opportunity writing this program which we all appreciate, and I beg your forgiveness if you already know about this but just haven't had a chance to correct it.
One more favor to ask that I think would make this utility win the nobel prize is that if the Temp log was a bit more organized. More specifically, the columns are layed too close together and the columns headings are not lining directly over the temp readings; and the first column is too close to the CPU speed column. I would think an excel format/sheet would look good here. You can use excel macro to average the speed and temp as an added option. Also w/ excel you can use sort function for those who use Cool n Quiet (to give readings for different speeds bunched together and averaged). Those are some suggestions that may (or may not) be attractive to a few users. But in any case, we all appreciate your great work and your contribution to us OC'ers.

Coolest, IMO - leave things the way they are in the TempLog layout - it works great. I recently imported several snippets from the TempLog into Excel (as tab de-limited) and it worked perfectly. The only thing I'd change about the TempLog might be an extra line-feed between the time-stamp lines just to make it a hair easier to grab those continuously logged blocks. Also, the TempLog file was created in the CoreTemp folder! :thup:

I don't have two Core#0 columns, I have one CPU#0 (Core#0) and a CPU#0 (Core#1) as it should be. OC, you sure you didn't misread that ...???

Last edited:
Hey QuietIce!

I like your 2 x heater core setup in your sig! I was wondering how the hell you ran @ 2.8 without something "special." Now I know! :beer: :D

You using the stock heat sink and fan that comes with the 180? Lemme guess > no? :)

[hijack]
RollingThunder said:
Hey QuietIce!

I like your 2 x heater core setup in your sig! I was wondering how the hell you ran @ 2.8 without something "special." Now I know! :beer: :D

You using the stock heat sink and fan that comes with the 180? Lemme guess > no? :)
Thanks!

I expect another 100 MHz out of it when I finally de-lid it - hopefully sometime after Christmas. I'm still searching for that elusive 3GHz mark but I may have to kick in the "Ice" part to get there. ;) Well, maybe just a slight chiller, I really don't want to deal with condensation ...

[/hijack]

Version 0.95 - 17th March, 2007

- Fix: Revision F Turion/Turion X2 detected wrong.
- Fix: Core Temp fully loads one core on a dual core AMD CPU.
- Fix: Core Temp crashes on Dual Core Opteron 200 series systems.
- Fix: Core Temp misdetected certain Dual Core Opteron CPUs.
- Fix: Must set Core Temp to run as Administrator in Vista.
- Fix: Can't see Core Temp GUI if Core Temp was last closed minimized.
- Fix: C2D L2 rev. report very low temperatures. (Tjmax to 100C)
- Fix: Core Temp reported wrong temps after a while. (Driver conflict)
- Fix: Core Temp reported Max VID on Intel CPUs. (Now shows current)

- Add: Show temperature in System tray.
- Add: Manual refresh option by pressing F5 or "File" Menu.
- Add: Show "Delta to Tjunction" temperature for Core 2 CPUs.
- Add: Support for latest Intel and AMD CPUs.
- Add: Minimize/Restore option in system tray icon right click.
- Add: Save last window position.
- Add: Prevent 2 instances of Core Temp from launching.

- Change: Rewritten Intel CPU recognition code.
- Change: Core 2 Duo codename change to Conroe-2M from Allendale.
- Change: Pop up bubble-window with temperatures removed.
- Change: Not Beta status anymore.

Back