• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core unlocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven90

So I recently purchased an Athlon x3 to mess around with overclocking and unlocking. I used the core unlocker in the bios and rebooted the system, my problem starts while it's running post. It stops at the memory check and the led indicator stays on. Is there something i'm missing, or is this just a bad 4th core? I'm beyond new to overclocking and bios manipulation, so any help would be appreciated!

If you unlock it and it fails to POST then yes, it has a bad core. There is usually very little to do other than enable the unlocker.

If you have other questions, posting your system specs is helpful

Motherboard, CPU and memory at the very least. (model numbers)

I think "Neuromancer" meant 'disable' the unlocker and not enable the unlocker.

You could raise the cpu voltage to 1.45V or so before the unlocking and see if that helps. The locked core may work with some additional voltage and then it might not but you have to add voltage to see the increase will help and you got to do it in your situation before you unlock or you are hung and not able to get in bios to raise cpu Vcore.

Thanks! I tried editing my sig to include my specs but I think it's locked since I'm a new member

You could raise the cpu voltage to 1.45V or so before the unlocking and see if that helps. The locked core may work with some additional voltage and then it might not but you have to add voltage to see the increase will help and you got to do it in your situation before you unlock or you are hung and not able to get in bios to raise cpu Vcore.
Once I restart the computer I can't get to bios so I have to reset the cmos jumper in order to get it to reboot.

If raising the Vcore before unlocking the disabled core, does not work as you seem to indicate, then I agree with "Neuromancer" when he says the core is bad and it will do n0 good to try and unlock it. Some cpus have locked cores that are locked because the disabled core is 'really' bad and it sounds like your locked core is truly bad and will not work. It happens.

I meant enable. I was referring to how easy it is to unlock a core on AMD, just enable the unlocker. Thats it. Some people have had success with tweaking voltages but out of the 30-40% that get free cores, less than 1% of those got it by having to do anything else other than turning on the unlocking feature.

Back