• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 or Cooler master 212+ for i5-2500k ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xintensex

Registered
I cant decide between these two coolers, I know the cooler master is just a fan with heat sinks, and the Corsair is Liquid CPU Cooler which something unfamiliar with?? But sounds neat lol If someone could shed some light on these two or maybe recommend something better that would be fantastic Thanks

The CM 212 +/EVO are great coolers, I am currently running the EVO on my OC'd 2500k (my temps are about 30c idle and 60c at 100%). The H60 is a pretty good entry level watercooling system (although they get may complaints about quality issues; it does have a pretty good warranty though); If you are considering the H60 I would probably get the H100 instead; it has a 120.2 radiator and performs almost as well as a custom loop (especially if you spring for another 2 fans)

Overall the best (besides insanity like liquid nitrogen) is to build a custom loop, but if you cant afford it or dont want to deal with the maintenance the H100 is a pretty good product.

For the money the CM 212+/EVO is a great deal for beginner overclockers.

The CM 212 +/EVO are great coolers, I am currently running the EVO on my OC'd 2500k (my temps are about 30c idle and 60c at 100%). The H60 is a pretty good entry level watercooling system (although they get may complaints about quality issues; it does have a pretty good warranty though); If you are considering the H60 I would probably get the H100 instead; it has a 120.2 radiator and performs almost as well as a custom loop (especially if you spring for another 2 fans)

Overall the best (besides insanity like liquid nitrogen) is to build a custom loop, but if you cant afford it or dont want to deal with the maintenance the H100 is a pretty good product.

For the money the CM 212+/EVO is a great deal for beginner overclockers.

Oh ty so much this has really helped out a great deal, I dont really want anything loud so which one would be quieter of the two, again ty for ur time.

Oh ty so much this has really helped out a great deal, I dont really want anything loud so which one would be quieter of the two, again ty for ur time.

That is a really good question, That depends greatly on the fans that you are using. I dont know from personal experience (I dont own a H100 or and H60) but I have heard that the fins make them relatively loud. I cant imagine that it is much louder than a normal CPU cooler but I dont own one so I cant tell you. What I can tell you is noise is dependent on the fans that you use. If you replace the stock fans with higher quality fans you may be able to reduce noise and improve performance.

I have my PC in my bedroom with an CM 212 EVO with 2 120 CM fans on it and the case has 2 120s and 2 200s and I dont have any issues sleeping and the noise is about the same as any other computer (now the heat it creates is a different story :))
If you can fit the H100 in your case I guess for the money it is a great performing cooler (just be prepared for possible quality issues), If you dont want to have to deal with issues and want something that will work well forever get a good aircooler like the CM 212+/EVO and think about getting better fans for it.

Another note - if you want good airflow and low noise get giant fans (if your case supports it) my 200mm fans make less noise and have better airflow than any others I have ever used of any size.

Personally, I'd not bother with any liquid cooled solutions with the exception of the Corsair H80 or H100. Any model under this is either outperformed by or equal to a decent tower type air cooler.

Maybe take a look at a Thermalright TRUE or a Prolimatech Megahalems, beyond that I'd look at the two liquid coolers I previously mentioned.

I have used a CM Hyper 212+ (not the evo, my local store doesn't carry it in stock) and I am currently using a Corsair H60. They both seemed to perform quite similar as far as cooling my cpu and noise level. I was also considering going for an H100 but for one, I do not see it being able to fit in my case, CM Haf 912, with out eliminating the exhaust fan on the back of my case, also I have been told it would be a waste of money for what I am doing. I am sure it would cool a lot better then my h60 but my h60 currently gives me idle temps at 23C and at load around 40C on an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE overclocked to 3.8Ghz. I currently use the h60 in a push/pull config using the stock fan that came with the h60 and a CM Sicklerflow 2000RPM fan. They seem to be relatively quiet both idle and full load.

I also have the H60 and previously had the Cm Hyper212+. The biggest benefit that I have noticed by switching to the H60 is on my mobo at least it provides for more clearance for the ram compared to the 212. With the Rad mounted in the rear exhaust fan position I have noticed a little less noise from the H60 compared to the 212 but the 212 wasn't overly loud to begin with. Like fcomstoc said the key to a quiet set up is larger case fans, they can move more air at a slower speed and I think the harmonics are just less noticable, not as high pitched as a smaller fan. I have 2 200mm fans in my HAF 912. I think I've tried just about every configuration with the H60 and 120mm fans and 200mm fans that I could and it's always quieter with the 200mm fans. Also the fans you use make all the difference in noise whether you choose an air cooler or a sealed water setup of any type.

Yup, I'm a big fan of 200mm case fans, though whenever you needed higher static pressure a 120mm fans is always the better choice

Yeah I forgot to mention that the h60 definitely gave my Memory more clearance to be installed. I actually could not use a push/pull config with the hyper 212+ correctly there for may have not improved my performance because my memory was in the way of one of the fans. I had to move one of the fans, the one closer to the ram, higher on the heat sink itself. I did not like this so I went back to the h60. I actually get some really nice temps with my h60 on an Amd Phenom II X6 1090T BE. Overclocked to 3.8Ghz and runs idle at about 16 - 24C and at full load I have yet to see it go past 50C.

I definitely need to get my hands on a 200MM Fan though for my top slot. I can't fit two fans up top because the radiator and fans block the way but a 200MM fan would fit up there perfectly. Just need to find a way to get one now since all my funds are gone.

For the price a Corsair H60 will cost you or less, you can get a Thermalright True Spirit 140 for roughly $50 shipped. I absolutely kills a 212+ in performance, as well as matching or beating most any other high end air cooler on the market. In my review of it right here, the only cooler I have tested on my present test system that beats it is the Corsair H80, and it is much quieter than the H80. The performance of the H80 in the chart in the review was with the fans on the H80 rad at full speed, which is pretty noisy. The fan included with the TS 140 was quiet even at full speed. I would think that if I had tested the TS 140 with the H80 fans installed, the temps would have been extremely close between the 2 of them. You can buy the TS 140 off Amazon from a company called Nan's Gaming Gear.

Back