• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair h50 maxed out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djscrew

Hey everyone! I just joined the 4.0 club on my i7 950.

I am running 23 multi, 175 bclk, for 4.025 ghz stable in prime. My vCore is an impressive 1.265 volts.

I am having an issue with temps though in prime at this speed. I am seeing 91 C core temp at test 4 in prime 95 which is my cutoff point.

My question for you folks: can an H50 keep my chip cooler and maybe the problem is the TIM application? Or is my cooler indeed maxed out.

I have the h50 running in push/pull with the stock fan pushing and a plain coolermaster pulling.

You need to get those temps in check before you hurt your $300 proc bud. Swap that dated H50 out of your system.

I've never personally used an H50, but I think it should be able to handle that overclock rather well.

I would re-mount it with some fresh TIM. Double....even tripple check that it is mounted properly.

Actually no, I've previously run and owned a Corsair H50. They're about on par with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO air cooler. Get a Corsair H80 or even a H100 if your case will fit it. I'm not at all surprised that you're maxed out based on my past experiences with the H50.

The ONLY advantage the H50 has over a Hyper 212 is that during gaming it takes longer for the liquid to heat up while gaming than for the heatpipes on the Hyper 212 to get too hot, and then have overheating CPU issues. It tends to heat right up, and cool down between levels. The heatpipes on the 212 tend to overload and you run into stabillity issues before you do with the H50, overall though with your CPU at load for an extended period they both have pretty similar thermal performance.

Last edited:
With a Core i7, I daresay there's no real need to get anything better than a high end air cooler.

Take a look at a Thermalright TRUE, a Prolimatech Megashadow or Megahalems, or a Noctua NH-D14 air cooler. Going with a lquid cooler such as the H80 or H100 is overkill unless you're running something really hot like the AMD FX-8120 or FX-8150

I don't know... my temps speak for themselves.

if I wasn't removing this heat direct from the top of my case and instead I let it disperse, my ambient temps would be terrible, especially ram.

Not really, that comes down to good case airflow. You've got a quality case, should be right. If you're really that concerned I guess you can always look at a H80 or H100, though I've not checked if a H100 will fit that case.

You didn't mention what software your using to measure temps. If the Mobo software, no good.

Realtemp, HW Monitor, or Coretemp is what you need. Try HW monitor, I like it.

good question

I am using AIDA64 which is accurate along the lines of HWMonitor.

the 700d is same as the 800. It can fit a h100 I am sure, spot for 3 120mm fans, with plenty of extra room to boot

problem is i dont have a spare $120 for it right now =(

lowered voltage on my nb and cpu, its finally low enough voltage to idle at around 87 core

You will want to look into a new heatsink for that overclock as others have suggested...if you have room, i really suggest the h100, its very quiet when its on low...and cools well even then.

Back