• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Could CPU stepping cause Multi Processor BSOD errors in Win10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

Ok so I am trying to wrap my head around this one. Long story short I am trying to set up a computer in my IT storage area since there are no computer up there for general use and I am getting tired of stairs.

We rely on donations for computer hardware so none of it is very....new, keep that in mind when I mention the following.

we got 2 Dell precision 690's in a few weeks back, these are dual CPU boards with one cpu socket populated per tower, only one 15k hard drive between the 2 of them and they were next in line to get working. Upon closer inspection one of them had a bank of bad caps around the memory so that's an automatic write off so I harvested it for what I could (CPU/RAM) and thought I might as well populate the other working tower with what I pulled and get rid of the husk.

it posts fine, no ram errors or any thing but it will not boot into windows already installed, windows install discs or USB drives, (Pro or LTSB) each one gives "MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED"

I double and triple checked in the bios to make sure they were the same make/model/speed between one another and sure enough:
Intel Xeon 5150 @ 2.66Ghz 1333Mhz Bus, 4MB cache, Dual Core

the only difference, stepping:
CPU0 06FB
CPU1 06F6

I couldn't imagine a stepping change would cause a no boot problem but who knows, whats your take?

Last edited:
It is because you have to install the OS with 2 processors installed, or 1 processor and a terminator in the second CPU socket, if you plan on using 2 processors. OS install on 1 processor will not work when you add the second processor after the install.
It's been that way for every OS that supports multi CPU's.

Heres the thing though, the installers, DVD or USB give the same error before even getting past the initial screen with the windows logo.
With or with out a hard drive installed

I did some digging and apparently I am not the only one.
this thread echoed many I found in various parts of the internet but this is the most well documented one:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...orted-by/0dc326e1-2b86-496c-936a-55161ad43169

the canned response of "existing install wont work with a new 2nd cpu" was not good enough for me seeing how I also mentioned that none of my install discs or usb drives worked either.
I don't have any XP discs handy to try out but I did how ever order a "matched" paid of cpus on ebay for under $5 shipped (remember these are old) we'll see if it changes any thing

the canned response of "existing install wont work with a new 2nd cpu" was not good enough for me seeing how I also mentioned that none of my install discs or usb drives worked either.
I don't have any XP discs handy to try out but I did how ever order a "matched" paid of cpus on ebay for under $5 shipped (remember these are old) we'll see if it changes any thing

You have 2 different problems then.
Believe what you want but my response was far from 'canned'. It is fact. 2 CPU's will only work if the OS install is done with both installed in the board. It will not work if you put the second one in after the OS install.
You can google that for verification since you don't believe me anyway.

What about trying to install from a win 7 or 10 dvd or usb drive and returning the same error?

still no explanation for that...

What about trying to install from a win 7 or 10 dvd or usb drive and returning the same error?

still no explanation for that...

What OS versions? Only some support multi CPU configurations, not all of them.
Must be legit Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise versions.

What OS versions? Only some support multi CPU configurations, not all of them.
Must be legit Pro, Ultimate, or Enterprise versions.

This is what I was thinking but surely in an IT environment OP would be using Pro or Enterprise.

This is what I was thinking but surely in an IT environment OP would be using Pro or Enterprise.
I assume nothing at this point.................................................and don't call me Surely. :rofl:

10 pro. Some times Pro LTSB, other times Pro N/KN. kinda ran out of Pro regular but I don't think any one will notice the European or Korean w/ English differences in the work place, atleast they shouldnt notice, if they do they aren't doing their work.

Heres something to chew on, because it does not make much sense to me for a pre existing install...
I ordered a "matching pair" of Xeon 771 CPUs off of ebay that arrived today, cost me a whopping $5 shipped. anyway
I jammed them in, gooped them up and screwed the heatsink back down on it and powered on to double check steppings were the same and I missed the post screen and it booted into the pre existing install of windows. everything working well.

install media works now as well so...

long and short of it, 7 and up need matched steppings...maybe vista too but who cares about that.

as an added bonus the new CPUs are a smidge faster too, old ones are 5150, new ones are 5160

Must be a W10 thing then because I have dual processors on W7 and they are not the same stepping.

it booted into the pre existing install of windows. everything working well.
Both CPU's are shown and working?

yep workin and choochin away...

I was thinking about it and I am wondering if its more a Xeon thing than a M$ thing.
last time I dealt with windows and multi cpu systems it involved Opterons and I don't remember stepping being a problem but that was well before Win10. But a lot of people had similar problems to mine when I seatched it and they all seemed to revolve around being Xeon systems.

I donno...

yep workin and choochin away...

I was thinking about it and I am wondering if its more a Xeon thing than a M$ thing.
last time I dealt with windows and multi cpu systems it involved Opterons and I don't remember stepping being a problem but that was well before Win10. But a lot of people had similar problems to mine when I seatched it and they all seemed to revolve around being Xeon systems.

I donno...

Could be.
Can't make an educated comment on that because I don't run Xeon's in dual configuration and never have.

Back