• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu Cooler Manufacturing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Thecain

Hello,

I really don't find any information on how these CPU Coolers are builded. For example CNPS9900 Max or any complex air cooler with bended curves.

I am interested in all aspects of Air CPU Cooler making.

Especially the installation of the fins to the heatpipe and bending of the whole body.

Thank you very much,

David

CNC machines :)

Youve got the cnc tube benders for the tubes, youve got the milling machines for the base, a laser to cut the fins out of sheets of metal. Then youve got brakes, and shears to further cut and form, maybe a robot welder.. And in all that their are jigs and fixtures that are used throughout the process :thup:

Clear as mud! :attn:

I havent seen one made before either, so I am just takeing a guess :cool:

Thanks man!

You helped a lot! :)

I think that the most problematic process is this:

547563317_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Because as I see the whole body must be bent AFTER the fins are inserted. I am taking a guess here, but it is very likely.

Do you know something about this?

Usually the fins float free before the bending, and aren't even on the tubing yet. They pre solder the middle section of the fins so theres a large gob of solder on it. The the put them over the assembled heat pipe and heat the fins till the solder melts bond the heat pipe and the fins.

To bend the tubing they fill tube with something that applys pressure back so that it keeps its internal shape without just folding on itself and creating stress points in the corners. After the bending is done they then crimp and seal one end. then they draw a vacuum on the tube, and introduce whatever gas/liquid they use for phase change. Seal/crimp the other end, and you have your heat pipe.

Fins are made just like fins for a radiator. They are stamped out of sheet metal. and then just stack ontop of each other. Most fins these days have a few fingers to there design s that they provide a gap for airflow when placed over the piping. Since this is really cheap and efficient way to manufacture them.

Back