• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Cooler Recommendations...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Toxic Dover

Registered
Hey guys -

I'm looking for a CPU cooler that will let me run my i5 2500k somewhere between 4.5GHz and 5GHz at reasonable temps... I've been doing some reading and keep seeing the Hyper 212 EVO mentioned, but I've also seen that it often causes problems with RAM slots... I'm running the i5 2500k CPU on an MSI P67a-GD65 motherboard with 16GB (4x4) of Gskill Ripjaws RAM, and a Radeon HD6950, so all of my RAM slots are in use, and I don't want to have to sacrifice one (or more) of them to make room for a CPU cooler. I also figured that (based off of what I've read), a push/pull configuration on the Hyper 212 would work best, which leaves me even less room to play with...

Alternatively, I've been looking at Corsair's H50/60/80/etc line of sealed liquid coolers... I'm certainly not opposed to a liquid setup, but from what I've read, they aren't too much better than most air coolers until you move up to the H100, which my case simply won't handle.

Sooo... My ramblings aside, and given my setup, could you guys recommend me some CPU cooling options? I'd prefer to stay under $100 right now, but I'm open to hear anything you've got. Thanks guys!

Measure it. You can see how far your RAM is from the middle of your CPU Socket. You can find how thick the heatsink is and you know how thick the fans are that you'll be using.

My Thermalright SB-E Archon has been doing OK w/my 3820 @ 4585Mhz. If I didn't have a top mounted PSU I might have picked something different though.

I think GSkill Ripjaws are 41mm tall... short enough most coolers fit over them. 120mm fan should fit okay but 140mm fan on top of RAM may be a problem as that's a combined height of 181mm. ;)

My CM 212+ fits on my 2500k and Asrock Extreme 4 board with my Ripjaws on it no problem. The Evo is slightly better cooler then the 212+, I can run my 2500k @ 4.7 24/7 with it. I can do 5.0 but not within "safe" temperatures with the 212+. I picked up a used Prolimatech Megahalems for about the same price as the Evo on Ebay and my temps dropped 10c over the 212+ with the same fans mounted, just another option for you.

If you could get your hands on a Deepcool Assassin or cheap NHD14 you would be set for a long time. Even through multiple builds.

If you want a simple water loop the Swiftech H220 is only one I know of worth getting... if you can find one.

After seeing how often the pumps die on these...we tend not to recommend them anymore. They perform great when they work, just not reliable.

So what you're saying is buy an H100i and a 212 EVO for when the H100i breaks :rolleyes:

Seems a lot of RMA's of late with the AIO Water coolers, but stick with a air coolers for a 2500K Chip. Does not need any fancy coolers as Knufire said! Yeah 212 Evo as ATMIN said is good to go. AJ. :) :thup:

If you want a simple water loop the Swiftech H220 is only one I know of worth getting... if you can find one.

My H100i has been running fine for 2-3 months. You tend to only hear about the failures when there are no doubt thousands of ones humming along fine. To each his own and I guess I can't fault you for not recommending them based on some failure reports. I don't buy it, tho, and will continue to recommend them.

My H100i has been running fine for 2-3 months. You tend to only hear about the failures when there are no doubt thousands of ones humming along fine. To each his own and I guess I can't fault you for not recommending them based on some failure reports. I don't buy it, tho, and will continue to recommend them.

Of course it's a small percentage of them, but those who frequently check the forums can tell the difference between a normal amount of users complaining and something out of the ordinary. Definitely not the majority, but even an RMA rate above 6-7% is considered very high.

The biggest giveaway is that nearly every single user who has one fail has had one fail in pretty much the same way (pump failure due to an air bubble), that strongly suggests a consistent problem vs random failure.

The biggest giveaway is that nearly every single user who has one fail has had one fail in pretty much the same way (pump failure due to an air bubble), that strongly suggests a consistent problem vs random failure.

This. Almost every AIO problem is pump related. Rarely hear about leaks or other problems.

All I'm saying is from forum posts it's near impossible to tell if it's because of a certain failure rate or because they sold a lot more of them than others and there are more to fail. I'm confident Corsair will take care of me if there is a failure.

All I'm saying is from forum posts it's near impossible to tell if it's because of a certain failure rate or because they sold a lot more of them than others and there are more to fail. I'm confident Corsair will take care of me if there is a failure.
So you think there are many more CLC's sold than air coolers? :rofl:
Because the truth is there are many air coolers being sold compared to each CLC that is sold. With very few exceptions the only cooler failures posted on forums are CLC's. Add there are "Refurbished" CLC's being sold (from CLC failures I assume). I've never even heard of a "refurbished" air cooler. :D

At least keep a dependable air cooler on the shelf so when/if your CLC does fail you have something to use in the weeks it will take to get a RMA replacement.

Back