• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU cooling Noctua D14 sits a little angled, is that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The fractal design R5 is a fine case. I have one sitting 30cm from my head as I type this. Your NH-D14 is bent. Maybe only the fan stacks are bent. I would hope so.

Competent installers would have advised you to use low profile RAM. I use an NH-D14 downstairs. I run it with low profile RAM so I can have a 140mm fan in front. Since they put it together, there is no excuse for tall RAM. We use low voltage RAM these days. It does not need coxcombs for heatsinks.

Hell, competent installers would have put your exhaust fan in with the struts (indicating the exhaust side of the fan) away from your heatsink.

It is so sad to see this happening. Study this carefully. You got a premier heatsink. It has one of the best mounting systems in the industry. When I reviewed the NH-D15 and the NH-D15S for Overclockers.com, I covered that mounting system. Learn it. It is the same as the mounting system you are using. And when you upgrade you can move your expensive heatsink with you.

You have bought a premier case and a premier cooler. Good for you. If you use low profile RAM you can use a 140mm fan in front and get a degree better cooling. When you upgrade you will probably keep that excellent R5. When you do, you can remove the rear grill and dispense with the exhaust fan. As you can see from this review (1st chart), the GP-14 fans that come with your case are quite good, so you can move one from the back to the front.

You have bought 1st class equipment. I'm telling you to pay attention to how it goes together so you can do it yourself next time. The equipment you bought goes together quite easily. Any human can assemble them. I make no promises for chimpanzees.

I have dealt with bent NH-D14's in the past. They can be bent so they are straight again, but the person doing the bending must take great care. It is not a job for chimps.

When everything is fixed you should have a fine computer. Good luck.

The fractal design R5 is a fine case. I have one sitting 30cm from my head as I type this. Your NH-D14 is bent. Maybe only the fan stacks are bent. I would hope so.

Competent installers would have advised you to use low profile RAM. I use an NH-D14 downstairs. I run it with low profile RAM so I can have a 140mm fan in front. Since they put it together, there is no excuse for tall RAM. We use low voltage RAM these days. It does not need coxcombs for heatsinks.

Hell, competent installers would have put your exhaust fan in with the struts (indicating the exhaust side of the fan) away from your heatsink.

It is so sad to see this happening. Study this carefully. You got a premier heatsink. It has one of the best mounting systems in the industry. When I reviewed the NH-D15 and the NH-D15S for Overclockers.com, I covered that mounting system. Learn it. It is the same as the mounting system you are using. And when you upgrade you can move your expensive heatsink with you.

You have bought a premier case and a premier cooler. Good for you. If you use low profile RAM you can use a 140mm fan in front and get a degree better cooling. When you upgrade you will probably keep that excellent R5. When you do, you can remove the rear grill and dispense with the exhaust fan. As you can see from this review (1st chart), the GP-14 fans that come with your case are quite good, so you can move one from the back to the front.

You have bought 1st class equipment. I'm telling you to pay attention to how it goes together so you can do it yourself next time. The equipment you bought goes together quite easily. Any human can assemble them. I make no promises for chimpanzees.

I have dealt with bent NH-D14's in the past. They can be bent so they are straight again, but the person doing the bending must take great care. It is not a job for chimps.

When everything is fixed you should have a fine computer. Good luck.

It was just the pipes and I had a reply from the retailer today, saying that it had happened during transport.
He adviced me to try at gently push it back into place and if anything happened or it was more damaged then so, then I would get a replacement.
I have done so with great care and maybe I'm forgetting the celsius numbers from yesterday or that actually lowered the general system and CPU by 2-4 degrees.
The memory were not in the way.

Concerning the backfan, it has been installed wrong, blowing air into the case and not out. I have notified them and will wait to see what they write back.
If they give a go, then I can redo it myself, but we'll see. As long as the warranty is solid, then i'm fine with that little just do it.

Thank you for your input and yes, I do believe myself too, that the build is solid, which is a personal demand for when spend more than usual on equipment, especially computers.

Looks like the heat pipes got bent. That cooler is one of the heaviest on the market and I'm guessing rough handling during the transport process caused it to bend at the heat pipes. Whatever you do, do not try to bend it back. I'm surprised it did not break the motherboard and there may be damage around the socket so watch for that. I would not trust this build and I would not trust the builder. They should have known that you cannot ship a unit with a cooler that heavy without likely breaking something. And they should have also chosen RAM with low profile heat sinks if they intended to use this cooler. This cooler should only be installed by a retailer selling it as a carry out. It should never be shipped.

vanAndesen, this all points to the fact that you should be doing your own builds.

Last edited:
Looks like the heat pipes got bent. That cooler is one of the heaviest on the market and I'm guessing rough handling during the transport process caused it to bend at the heat pipes. Whatever you do, do not try to bend it back. I'm surprised it did not break the motherboard and there may be damage around the socket so watch for that. I would not trust this build and I would not trust the builder. They should have known that you cannot ship a unit with a cooler that heavy without likely breaking something. And they should have also chosen RAM with low profile heat sinks if they intended to use this cooler. This cooler should only be installed by a retailer selling it as a carry out. It should never be shipped.

vanAndesen, this all points to the fact that you should be doing your own builds.

There was no clearing issue with the ram.
The cooler is now in place.
I had the retailer assemble it all as per customer law in my country. It secures a two year warranty on the whole thing.
This does not take away the general manufactor warranty, it is simply a security for the customer.

In the future, which may be in several years, I might do it all myself, we will see.

And as a side note I personally chose every part, with advice and feedback from my good friend and some of the Overclockers.

any idea on your room temperatures?

No idea at all, but it is not over 23c, i would guess around 20c or so.
Taking a look at the temperatures right now as the rig has been running youtube for some time, its CPU 28 and System 38.
My old would say 55-60+ in general for system at least.

There was no clearing issue with the ram.
The cooler is now in place.
I had the retailer assemble it all as per customer law in my country. It secures a two year warranty on the whole thing.
This does not take away the general manufactor warranty, it is simply a security for the customer.

In the future, which may be in several years, I might do it all myself, we will see.

And as a side note I personally chose every part, with advice and feedback from my good friend and some of the Overclockers.

Yes, but shipping a rig mounted with a cooler that heavy is still something ill advised and the builder should know that.

Yes, but shipping a rig mounted with a cooler that heavy is still something ill advised and the builder should know that.

I could not agree more. My biggest fear for the shipping was the cooler and look at behold.
Now it is in place and the rig is running smooth, I just need to flip the back fan.

Guys.. people ship(ped) pcs with that cooler in it all the time. I can't imagine typical shipping would bend that cooler. Do you know how much force it takes to bend those? Jostling on a truck wouldnt do it (a significant drop, indeed). Put that thing on a vice and see how much force it takes. I am not saying it's impossible, but it takes more force than one may think.

Back in the day when I used to build and sell pcs, I shipped probably around 4 systems with the true 120 mounted already. No support, zero complaints...none bent.

What builders have done is to add additional supprt inside the case to keep large heatsinks secure. They aren't shipping systems and having the clients mount the heatsinks (aio makes this less of an issue these days). I agree that shipping WITHOUT any additional supprt for large coolers is a bad idea, otherwise, it's just and done dozens of times a day I'm sure.

Last edited:
Just grab a screwdriver and flip it

Just tried, but turns out one of the screws is tightened to tight that after two hard tries the groove is halfway broken.
And yes I did use the right screwdriver.
Have written to retailer and now we wait and see.
All these small issues are just getting me pissed again. :-(

Guys.. people ship(ped) pcs with that cooler in it all the time. I can't imagine typical shipping would bend that cooler. Do you know how much force it takes to bend those? Jostling on a truck wouldnt do it (a significant drop, indeed). Put that thing on a vice and see how much force it takes. I am not saying it's impossible, but it takes more force than one may think.

Back in the day when I used to build and sell pcs, I shipped probably around 4 systems with the true 120 mounted already. No support, zero complaints...none bent.

What builders have done is to add additional supprt inside the case to keep large heatsinks secure. They aren't shipping systems and having the clients mount the heatsinks (aio makes this less of an issue these days). I agree that shipping WITHOUT any additional supprt for large coolers is a bad idea, otherwise, it's just and done dozens of times a day I'm sure.

Just tried, but turns out one of the screws is tightened to tight that after two hard tries the groove is halfway broken.
And yes I did use the right screwdriver.
Have written to retailer and now we wait and see.
All these small issues are just getting me pissed again. :-(

Maybe someone installed the fan backwards. Then they installed the heatsink. Then they discovered the fan was in backwards, and only THEN did they bend the heatsink, trying to get out the fan without uninstalling the D14. After that, they gave it up as a bad job and shipped it.

OP: Next time, build it yourself. We'll be here to give you encouragement. Just PM us to get our attention.

Back