• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Core Control Manual or Auto

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mr305

Registered
Hi am new to OC an i came across this setting in the bios but i don't know which one to choose from . First let me list my spec to see if you guys can help me out a bit .

MSI 760GM-E51 FX

CPU - Phenom II X4 955

RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333

GPU- MSI 560TI 2GB OC Edition

PSU- 500W Cooler Master

Okay now back to my OC problem am trying to overclock my CPU the right way but i have several option that i don't know which to choose from . First i have enable the Unlock CPU Core option in the bios, now i don't know if to leave CPU Core Control Auto or Manual. By the way the game that i am trying to run with these OC setting is Flight Simulator X which requires more CPU than GPU . I also remember that i added a little tweak to my CFG file in FSX that allows FSX to used 4 of my CPU Cores instead of 2 . So that is why i don't know if i should leave CPU Core Control to Auto or Manual ? Can you guys give me some tips please ? Also i have phase control to auto in the BIOS setting .

The CPU core control is used to disable cores. Auto should be fine as long as you have the other powersaving options disabled. Like cool and quiet, C1 and C6 and EPU some bios have different wording.

Thank you Johan 45 i do have Cool and quiet disable . :)

First i have enable the Unlock CPU Core option in the bios
Mr 305 first off welcome to the forums that Johan guy is rude and doesn't welcome people ;). You should disable the Unlock Cpu core function. That function is for processors that have cores that are unlock-able. Your 955 assuming that it is a 955be already has the cores unlocked, so it's unnecessary. Have you had a read of this thread, it is hands down the best overclocking guide for your processor. After you get through reading it, you should do the following. Download Prime95, Hwmonitor "non pro" and Cpu-Z. Then open Hwmonitor and run Prime for 20 minutes, this will give us an idea of where your temperatures and voltages are at, stock. Then post a pic of Hwmonitor under load as well as the following tabs in CPU-Z, cpu, spd and memory. Please use the in forum attachment tool to post the pics.

Attachments

• insert image.PNG
    insert image.PNG
    68.9 KB · Views: 14,525
Thanks so much for your help i will read on an post some picture. Am trying to get the hang of this overclocking because in about 2 weeks or less i will receive the FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera 4.0 an i plan on overclocking it with my new PSU that am about to receive also from corsair 750W Plus GOLD . I have also order Liquid Cooling system for the CPU , so i guest have all i need to start my overclocking experience . Tonight am going to read the thread you suggested for me to read. Any information is appreciated thank you so very much . An i plan on sticking around for a very long time here in overclockers so far everyone have been helpful an friendly .

will receive the FX 8350 Black Edition Vishera 4.0 an i plan on overclocking it = I expect it is better now than later since you might be able to stop the FX-8350 to you or send it back before actually having to pay for it. You have the best cpu already for that motherboard. NO $65.00 mobo in MicroATX size with only 4 + 1 non-heat sinked VRM motherboard is going to be able to overclock an FX-8350 to any cpu speed I would call satisfactory for that FX-8350. Not hardly. Well certainly not super succcessfully.

When we speak of overclocking a newer FX 8 core processor we wind-up with all 8 cores on ALL the time, which seldom if ever happens when the cpu is "used" as AMD designed it to be used. That is how these motherboard companies can get by with saying X mobo supports the FX processor. BUT then joe consumer comes along and buys the cheapest mobo to try and overclock the power hungry and HOT processor and they can do very little to no overclocking because the board just is not up to the rigors of a decent 8 core FX overclock.
RGone...

I understand everything you said perfectly . I was going to get ready to call an cancel my transaction . But then i went to my friends computer store he bought the MSI 760gm-E51 FX edition just to test it before he start selling it in his store an people start complaining try to install it ,but even when installing the software disc for the bios is like the board has a mind of its own an did not like the FX 8350. He look up this issue on google an it looks like 80% of the users who bought this motherboard had the same problem. So he was going to get ready an send it back to MSI an have his money back . But then they like always ask him if he will like to try the new bios that doesn't come with the disc here is the message msi send:

Dear customer, please kindly make sure use your 955 CPU update the bios to the latest one before install the FX 8350. Thanks! http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51--FX-.html#/?div=BIOS

So my friend said lets give it another try. As he install it updated the driver etc.... Then went to overclocking it with the new Bios he got up to 4.6 tested it wit prime stable install BF3 an work perfectly no issue . So his final statement he give to all this is that he will keep the MOBO but he will not sell it in his store ,because he can see it all now when customers comes in complaining that their 8350 vishera doesn't work for the board. His review for this board was a plain out 60% bad installation disc ,bad manual , complicated to understand. The good thing is that once you have install the latest Bios an have decent PSU an cooling system an a good case that provides great airflow you will get decent performance. So i went ahead an bought this motherboard yea i am crazy right . I could have bought the asus v formular but the problem is that many told me i have to format my drive again . So i was kind of not wanted to do that since i had tones of add on for flight simulator x that i don't want to install all over again . An all the pain you have to go threw with flight simulator x , it doesn't matter if you have the best computer flight simulator is CPU hungry an also unstable to newer computer system. So you practically have to downgrade your new system to work an play around with flight simulator x . Because it doesn't even support directx11 or 10 the only way it support 10 is in preview mode an that is kind of lame to me because the only aircraft you get to fly is the default once that comes with the game. Since i have the same board just not the fx edtion i said you know what let me ask msi if i have to format my computer once i have this new motherboard , they reply an said no because the only difference from this board to the FX edtion is that the FX edtion support tones of FX series CPU's an support more ram memory . But they come with the same system drivers so i don't have to format my computer with this new motherboard just update the bios to latest one before installing the FX 8350.

Last edited:
New board is a good reason to REinstall windows even if it is n0t a must. All Windows O/S's get wonky over time. That is up to you though.

New bios is not going to fix the missing heatsinks on the MicroATX motherboard.

I swap my hard drive for benching between a CHV by Asus and an Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional without issue. Both are AMD and just change out the Audio driver and the Nic driver. I hate to hear numbs saying you have to do X thing when they don't know Y thing.

Just get all the "specifics" of how your bud at the computer store reached 4.6Ghz and you then should easily do the same. Maybe. Luck to you.
RGone...

Thank you RGone what board do you consider for me to get for great overclocking with the 8350 that will support my computer spec's such as CPU,RAM,HDD,DVD DRIVE, because i purchase a new board i wouldn't like to go purchase new ram memory also even dow i wish to purchase some new once some day.

MSI 760GM-E51 FX

CPU - Phenom II X4 955

RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333

GPU- MSI 560TI 2GB OC Edition

PSU- 750W Corsair Plus Gold

With the MSI 760gm-E51FX i will just used it for testing an well am not going to stay with it very long . I plan on making a video so others can also see what you have to go threw when you purchase this motherboard , maybe to avoid making the same mistake others did in the past when installing the 8350 to MSI 760GM -E51 FX. But i plan on moving on to another board that is not MSI not saying msi is not great. The current MOBO i have has work great over the one year i have it. But is time to move on please let me know what MOBO you consider me to purchase for great overclocking?

Also i like having several motherboard around. The reason why is because if have a faulty component on my current rig all i have to do is test it using another MOBO to see if i actually have to replace the hardware . One time i had a issue with one of the ram memory for my current rig i would hear the CPU start up like normal but no video an it made several beeping sound telling me something is wrong with the video card or ram memory . So i did several troubleshooting nothing seems to work. It was getting ready to purchase new ram but when i had a spear motherboard around i test the ram on that MOBO an it works so i save myself some money by purchasing new ram when clearly it wasn't the ram memory the problem but the motherboard itself . I guest when i overclock the memory with that current board some how it affected the memory slot , that is what i assumed happen.

Mr 305 first off welcome to the forums that Johan guy is rude and doesn't welcome people ;).
:welcome: Mr 305 and thanks Manny for pointing out my short comings. Was in a bit of a hurry yesterday had to get moving.
As far as a new mobo check this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7415842&postcount=1 This will give you some insight.

My personal experience. I had the M5A99FX PRO It has a 6 phase power section with heatsinks and after a month I replaced it with a Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 because it just couldn't cut it. Limits on my OC'ing and terrible heat build up. I'm much happier with the board I have now. :attn:

And go with RGones advice on the Windows reinstall. The only time I didn't was with the 2 boards I just spoke of but the Hardware on them is practically identical and the chipset drivers were Identical.

"mr305", let me be as straight as I know how. You are 'only' about the 9th user in this cpu forum section in nearly 2 years. MSI has not had anything like a good rep in a good while now with AMD motherboards. So if you are only the 9th in roughly 2 years, you can bet out of thousands of posts in those 2 years...not many are using MSI for most likely at least a reason in user's minds.

This list has been floating around now for at least 6 or 8 months and is still valid if each board is still available at REtail.

Asus Crosshair V formula/z
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 Gen 3(not yet released)
Asrock Fata1ity 990FX (Maybe replaced by Asrock 990FX Ext9)
Asus Sabertooth R2.0 and Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Gigabyte 990FX UD5 or UD7
Asus M5A99X Evo or M5A99FX pro (Users find they will not clock 8 core to more than 4.6Ghz but do that stable.) There are better boards above.
Gigabyte 970, 990X, 990FX UD3 these all use the same VRM (takes more trial and error to get a stable overclock with these boards according to knowledgable users)
Asus M5A97 Evo or any MSI 990(X/FX) (would not be on my list for 6 or 8 core FX processor at all).

If overclocking is your intention dont bother with an AMD board below this level. None of the 4+2 boards even those with heatsinks have the voltage regulation necessary or the bios features to support heavy overclocking on the AMD side of things.

I just annotated that mobo list to try and make it current in todays REtail market.

Okay now to the ram. I would not buy a new motherboard and FX-8350 processor and n0t get good DDR1866 ram. Not me anyway. Slower ram just seems to leave too much performance on the table as n0t utilized. Others may have other opinions, but my friends now moving to DDR1866 from their DDR1333 and DDR1600 are liking that move very well.

Most of these FX-8350 processors run HOTTER than you think they are going to run and it takes more 'real' cooling than a mini-water cooling loop to run them at over about 4.5Ghz with Prime 95 Stability testing. They run hOt man.

This is a link into the second page of a thread about a user that just bought an FX-8350. Read the entire link because after page 2 and on to page 3 the 'real' user experiences get very good. People telling it like it really is with HOT FX processors.
LINK >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729481&page=2

To the best of my understanding, I think i covered the 'real' situations and stumbling blocks to getting actual high performance use out of the 6 and 8 core FX Vishera Processors.

I don't much care if my FX-8350 is running at 4.0, 4.2, 4.4Ghz but when I flip over into doing real work with my video editting, I run 4.8Ghz. It is very very fast doing that sort of real work that can use all the cores of the processor, which is not like most games that range from poorly coded to somewhat well coded. When I or my friends that actually use a computer for real work, we all run in the 4.8Ghz neighborhood and you will n0t do that for hours without some of the better parts and pieces. There are any number of users in this AMD Cpu Forum section that have moved from mediocre motherboards to the boards at the top of that list above so they could haul some major booty with 'super' watercooling.

About the truth after some 2 years of watching unhappy or shocked users.
RGone...

thanks Manny for pointing out my short comings. Was in a bit of a hurry yesterday had to get moving.

I hear that "Johan" man. That "manny" dude is rough and tumble alright. Just don't ask him about the 6000+ and mobo he is fooling with now and don't ask him shett about a stick of DDR1866 ram. He might go off. Hehehe.

You two are just plain on top of it.

RGone...:bang head:bump:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I've already heard about it but didn't think he was that sensitive. :bang head

At least you have a sense of humour. You just can't take things too seriously if you wanna live past 50

Man you guys are the best OMG!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so very much for this support now i know what ball game am playing when it comes to overclocking an all that sort of stuff . I am just interested a lot in purchasing this CPU because as for motherboard well i can spend a few bucks on that . An i think might consider myself purchasing new ram. Let me not try an be so cheap now an choose the right one LOL . Let see what these CPU can do when you have the correct hardware in place. THANKS A MILLION ALL YOU GUYS HERE FOR HELPING ME. I have join forum in the past an have been treated well , but here it feels like family if you ask me . Am a putting this website as my home page is worth to start my day learning something new every day.

Nice to see we make you feel so welcome! If you do decide to go with the FX8350 you should do it right or you will end up with unneccessary headaches. We''l be here to help out anytime. :thup:

Thanks Johan45 since i got paid this week here is what am spending half of my check today let see if you guys agree with me . Okay as for motherboard to start of i really like the SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Socket AM3+/ AMD 990FX/ DDR3/ Quad CrossFireX & Quad SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard, i am about to purchase it now fallow up by G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) SDRAM DDR3-1866 (PC3-14900) . What do you guys think are these two compatible with each other? I have google to see the result an the first thing i see is a post on tomshardware about i think is compatibility issue or something .

If you check my sig you'll see that's exactly what I have accept it's the 2133. I haven't had a stich of problems with it. Gskill and the AMD boards tend to get along with each other. I run mine downclocked with tighter timings because the next setting was 2332 and it would run but I needed even more volts to the NB and the extra heat wasn't worth the gain from the ram at that speed.

EDIT Speaking of sigs you really should put one up if you're gonna be looking for advice. It makes it easier for us to help if we know exactly what you're using so be specific.

Back