• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu core temperature readings problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eust

Registered
Hi everyone i am new here, and as many before me i registered becouse i can use some assistence from people that like to share their knowledge :D.

Let me mention my components first:

1. AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+ (Brisbane) , stock cooler
2. MB Gygabite M52L-S3 (Bios ver F8.)

Now to my problem, my core temperature readings are going wild, they are sitting at Core1 ~50 Core2 ~61 on IDLE. And another thing bothering me is the CPU reading it is on ~42C idle ( 38 bios reading) and it seems to be a great difference between the two of them.

On load the core temperatures go to as much as 87C and i don't know for how long that was going on since i did not check my temperatures before but i never had stability issues, bsod or something simmilar.

I reapplied the thermal paste few days ago and made sure the cooler is placed corectly over the processor so that there is no space between them since at first i thought that could be the problem. I have to add that i don't have any case fans, but i tried opening the case and using a desk vent just for test to make some small ventilation it did help for the GPU temp but nothing else, don't get me wrong i am all ready to invest in some case fans i just want to be sure that there is no problem with the core reading sensors.

With a closed case bios reads the system temp as 40C on open its on 35C, my room temp is around 25C.

Screens on idle :

I hope someone can help me with this since i like to use my pc for gaming mostly and i ma kinda afraid and since i noticed those temps 7 days ago i did not play a single game sicne then the addict in me is starting to kick in i am dying of boredom in these unberably hot days :p.

Well sorry for my first and long post i hope someone can help me here :D Cheers
:)

Those temperatures are way high for idle.

My guess would be that your heatsink is not aligned correctly. I would hope it is that anyways, anything else it might be would probably mean a faulty piece of hardware. Try removing the heatsink and replacing it. Dry fit it a couple times if you are unsure about whether it is seating properly to make full cantact, and then apply your thermal paste. Lil dab will do ya with that stuff. If you are still unsure whether you are getting the heatsink on right at this point I would apply the TP and then put the HSF on and then pull it off to examine the contact pattern. If it is even and thorough, put a tiny bit more TP on and refasten the heatsink or clean it completely and redo fresh. If it isn't even or not quite squished it means something is keeping the retention clamps from doing their job, check for an obstruction or something like the clamps not being aligned just right.

I'm on the same page as jagged about taking off the heatsink and doing the TIM again.

Use only a little though.

Thanks for the tips, il do that tomorrow morning and report here :D

The page appears to be open to Heatsink problems for sure. I think he is likely using the old block of aluminum HSF assembly that came with those older S939 processor. Mine need cleaning about every 6 mos to ensure that the HSF assembly can get the heat from the cpu into the air.

Living in the south of the Usa the dust would almost stick to those old aluminum fins and I came to the point I removed the fan from that aluminum block and stuck the aluminum in the dishwasher and then my old style cooler would really cool again after fan remount and HSF remount to cpu with quality thermal paste. I also hand cleaned the blades of the OEM style fan before remount to the aluminum block type cooler.

The page appears to be open to Heatsink problems for sure. I think he is likely using the old block of aluminum HSF assembly that came with those older S939 processor. Mine need cleaning about every 6 mos to ensure that the HSF assembly can get the heat from the cpu into the air.

Living in the south of the Usa the dust would almost stick to those old aluminum fins and I came to the point I removed the fan from that aluminum block and stuck the aluminum in the dishwasher and then my old style cooler would really cool again after fan remount and HSF remount to cpu with quality thermal paste. I also hand cleaned the blades of the OEM style fan before remount to the aluminum block type cooler.

yep, once a year I pull the HS from the system, remove the fan, then clean it out in the sink, dry it out with compressed air (unlimited supply, air compressor FTW) I've seen some nasty things in my day. I also blow the system out monthly.

Actually Brisabanes were notorious for giving false temp. readings. It is a flaw in the design and was a quite well known issue at one time. If your Brisbane was running as hot as software indicates it would be dead at the worst or extremely unstable in the least as Brisbanes are very intolerant of excessive heat or voltages above 1.55v.

It's also very common with AM2 processors for there to be significant delta between the core readings.

Re-seat for good measure but don't be surprised if nothing drastically changes.

I had two Brisbanes, both X2 5000+'s both never seamed to have problems, one was a G1 step, the other a G2.

I thought the Brisbanes read low, not high...

Hard to remember though as I haven't owned any Brisbanes.
G1's read low and the issue was somewhat corrected with the G2 revision but sometimes they overshot the mark. Regardless if the temps are correct his Brisbane would likely have failed by now or be as I mentioned unstable @ the least.

Actually Brisabanes were notorious for giving false temp. readings. It is a flaw in the design and was a quite well known issue at one time. If your Brisbane was running as hot as software indicates it would be dead at the worst or extremely unstable in the least as Brisbanes are very intolerant of excessive heat or voltages above 1.55v.

It's also very common with AM2 processors for there to be significant delta between the core readings.

Re-seat for good measure but don't be surprised if nothing drastically changes.

Yes in general you are accurate about what many Brisbanes did. It depends on what year you are referring to and the software used back there in the dark ages to try and monitor cpu temps. SpeedFan was a biggy and notorious for reading Brisbanes wrong. There was even a bug report at SpeedFan where they were going to build an auto offset for Brisbane to lower the temps.

There were Brisbanes that idled at <>47c and then shot up to >80c immediately under load and climbed higher and those were fixed with replacing the cooler.

There were Brisbanes that idled at <>47c and gradually moved upward to the 80c range under load and usually those were fixed by reseating the CPU Cooler.

Then there were those that reported they had no issues. Heck they may have had a Windsor core and did not know the difference. Who really knows?

2008>2009 Hot Brisbanes was Hot topic, by 2010 the topic was mostly settled by what many claim was fixed monitoring software. I expect it was the cpus were replaced by better ones.

For our OP "Eust", it would appear he has HSF mounting or dirty issues as we enter our time machines and jump forward nearly half a decade to getting late 2012.

Wow so many replies, thanks guys :D,i will be home today and will try to adjust the heatsink and check if it is not fitted well.

If nothing of that helps i should have a 5600+ lying around somewhere i rembember getting it from my friend and i never even tried it out xD, might swap them out and/or the coolers since my friend gave me the cooler that came with it, even though its the same thing that i have but i have nothing to loose, right? :D

Hi people , i am still not home unfortunately so can't test the cooler but looking at those screens i posted, i see the +5V and -12V are going way over the acceptable variations of 10% 5V is on 5.5 and -12 is on -12.6, should i be worried about that and can that be the cause of my temperature problems or maybe false readings?

NOTE: i am using Corsair CX 600 and its my second one, first one lasted for a year and died 5 weeks ago so i had a waranty and got a new one, i am kinda regreting it now but meh. Cheers, i still hope il be home today evening to try and play with the heatsink a bit.

:)

-12 is on -12.6, = surely not an issue. Just makes for a zero bit to be for sure a zero bit.

5V is on 5.5 = I doubt even at that if it would make the cpu is show too high temps. The voltage regulator on the mobo should handle the 5.5V and what is using the 5.5 rail would not see high voltage.

You just need to get to your rig and remedy the cpu to clean heatsink fitment most likely with good paste. Right now all that is happening is more speculation, that will not fix anything or so it surely seems.

-12 is on -12.6, = surely not an issue. Just makes for a zero bit to be for sure a zero bit.

5V is on 5.5 = I doubt even at that if it would make the cpu is show too high temps. The voltage regulator on the mobo should handle the 5.5V and what is using the 5.5 rail would not see high voltage.

You just need to get to your rig and remedy the cpu to clean heatsink fitment most likely with good paste. Right now all that is happening is more speculation, that will not fix anything or so it surely seems.

Thanks man :D, i realy love this forum now, people here are willing to help and explain things and + you guys reply realy fast at my stupid problems :p, i will surely come back later today or tomorrow depends when i get home and let you know how it goes. :)

I'm kind of concerned that your core with no load has a higher temperature than the core with a high load..? That spells temperature sensors that are off.

Usually a good indicator if you run prime95 extensively all your cores should read the same temperature in the end.

Like everyone else said though it could be that thermal paste was applied incorrectly or is faulty. Any air bubbles or lack of contact will cause a dramatic increase in temperature.

You can follow this for cleaning up the thermal paste and replacing it

"
"

Otherwise air spray the hell out of everything and run prime95 for a long time see if you get equal readings on both core temperatures. If temperature readings are still off for both cores then there has to be a problem with your sensors. I attached a picture of me running prime 95 my cores are all the same exact temperature as they should be since they are all running at 100% (unless there is something external effecting it..?)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkv3a1iy5iss9rq/load.PNG

Last edited:
For AMD CPU's you should not be using the temp readings of the individual cores as they are not physical readings but mathmatical extrapolations of the TCase temperature sensors (that started with the AMD K8's). This is a prime example of why not. For whatever reason, either the TCase sensor/s that are closest to the two cores are faulty OR the formula is off significantly.

vPzGR.jpg

That is the Temp you need to worry about. That is your TCase temperature. TCase is derived by "averaging" the TCase temp sensors on the die package. TCase Max is the maximum operating temperature for AMD CPU's. For your CPU (Athlon 64 x2 4400+), TCase Max = 65C
See table on page 86, Thermal Profile O, 110.0W line -
http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/30430.pdf

Now, are the faulty "core temp" readings a warning sign of an older CPU? Or just a problem caused by the temp sensor problems that have plagued the K8 series since they came out? Your guess is as good as mine. If you put the CPU under normal load and your HS is so hot you can feel the heat come off in waves like a furnace I would worry, otherwise I wouldn't worry so much.

As a final note, might be time for an upgrade :p but that's just IMHO. For a good low power system I would suggest an AMD APU.

Last edited:
For AMD CPU's you should not be using the temp readings of the individual cores as they are not physical readings but mathmatical extrapolations of the TCase temperature sensors (that started with the AMD K8's). This is a prime example of why not. For whatever reason, either the TCase sensor/s that are closest to the two cores are faulty OR the formula is off significantly.

That is the Temp you need to worry about. That is your TCase temperature. TCase is derived by "averaging" the TCase temp sensors on the die package. TCase Max is the maximum operating temperature for AMD CPU's. For your CPU (Athlon 64 x2 4400+), TCase Max = 65C
See table on page 86, Thermal Profile O, 110.0W line -
http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/30430.pdf

Now, are the faulty "core temp" readings a warning sign of an older CPU? Or just a problem caused by the temp sensor problems that have plagued the K8 series since they came out? Your guess is as good as mine. If you put the CPU under normal load and your HS is so hot you can feel the heat come off in waves like a furnace I would worry, otherwise I wouldn't worry so much.

As a final note, might be time for an upgrade :p but that's just IMHO. For a good low power system I would suggest an AMD APU.

Thanks for the info m8, i feel a bit relieved now, but when i get home il reapply the paste and adjust the heatsink thouroughly just to be on the safe side.
And yea i should upgrade, but i am in a problematic time of the year when i have to save money for more important stuff like my college payments, :p i have done what i could do this year, got this ******* psu and the 5830 which i am sattisfied with atm, i am planing on getting something better in the winter, when that time comes il probably be here bugging you with oppinions on what to get :p

Pffffft college payments.

Why would you want to waste your money on an education when you can burn it all and buy silicon chips instead!

Back