• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan always maxed out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Proxish

I'm slightly confused, I installed a Intel RTS2011LC, when looking at HWMonitor, it's constantly running at 22XXrpm. I don't know how to control and lower it.

I have an NZXT Phantom case, I physically manage the fan speed of all other fans with the external fan control. But this is the extent to what I understand fan control. Can someone tell me what's going on here?

I was also thinking about getting two new fans in a push pull configuration, to replace the stock fan. But I don't know what to go for either. Had heard the SP120's are good as well as Thermalright (I forget what model).

Thanks.

That is the RPM of the pump probably. You can/can't control it possibly. Is your AIO Intel watercooler a 3 pin or 4 pin connection?

Is it connected to the CPU fan header? I'm sure you have PWM control for the CPU fan header and if you use mobo software to control other fans it should do the same.

Unless the cooler is a fixed speed pump you should be able to. What wouldn't surprise me is it probably is a fixed RPM pump and that's what your monitoring.

EDIT:. No luck finding info. But the NH-D14 beats that cooler by a wide margin.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1784/6/

Last edited:
It's a 4 pin connection, connected to the motherboard.

I started using the motherboard software, AXTU, but it is absolute garbage. I have to open it up and apply the settings every time, there is no work around for this. I was hoping for a bit of software to control fans like that which you get with MSI Afterburner or some such.

Yea, I knew the NH-D14 was quite a bit better, but I went with the Intel Cooler for two reasons.
The first being, I have high profile ram and couldn't be bothered going through the hassle of replacing them.
The second being I bought it off a reviewer after 8 hours use for only £30, half the price of the NH-D14, H60, etc.
Even if I do decide to replace the fans on it, it'll still work out at least £15 cheaper, which isn't a massive saving. But when you are a student, is quite a bit lol.

I'm not worried about it, it's a case of it hits 35db under full speed. Noisy as hell lol.
Is there any software available that adjusts fans according to temperature?

Ohh yea, many returns, more than a few here. They are made very very cheaply. Pump failure is one issue, the main thing really.

Don't remember reading in the few reviews of that cooler. It's just like the other brand and I think Aestek or something like that is the OEM for many of them.

Back