• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU fan spins on boot up then nothing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

serval

Hi guys.. ive been surfing around trying to find a solution.. and the www has brought me here..

my problem is when i click to power up my pc the cpu fan spins for few seconds then stops and wont power up well i think its the cpu fan.. i can hear the fan noise like its powering up as normal.. ive opened up the case and had a look i can see the graphics card lights flash on.. some fans spin then nothing... i have removed the cmos battery for a few seconds.. switched the JP1 connector from 1&2 pins to 2&3 but still the same problem.. my specs are..

AMD FX 55 cpu
DFI lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D ( NOT USING SLI )
RADEON 1800 XT or is it 1900 not sure..
OCZ memory i cant rmbr the spec sorry...
600W PSU ( PCI EXPRESS i think the term is )
sorry im kinda outta date with the specs of this pc..

everything was fine this morning.. i shut the pc down. went out.. came back and now this is happening..

so before i go out and buy any new hardware i was wondering if the psu is dead ? or motherboard ? or if it can be fixed.. i know its an old pc but cash is kinda tight this time of the year...

i would be grateful if anyone has any ideas..

oh ive also tried a different pci connector to my gfix card as theres 2 with my psu

Try leaving only 1 stick of RAM in the PC and see how that goes
If that doesn't work try jumpstarting the PSU and check all of the lines with a multimeter (ghetto way of testing a PSU, but then again - good PSU testers cost thousands of dollars).

hi m8.. thxx for ur reply.. i`ll try 1 stick of memory 1st see how that goes.. but what is jumpstarting the psu ?? also a multimeter if its a cheap way of testing a psu im guessing this is some cheap piece of kit i have to buy ?

na 1 stick of memory didnt make any difference.. if it is the psu why would all the fans spin for a few seconds ?

Lots of things could be causing this.
Are you sure nothing is shorting out?
Jumpstarting the PSU is placing a paperclip or a wire between the green and the black wrire on your 24 pin power connector.
That way the PSU can start without being connected to the motherboard.
Professional PSU testers are EXTREMELY expensive so a basic line test with a multimeter would be a good (and cheap) idea.

ok m8 i jump started the psu and it works.. so does that mean ther mobbo is kaput ??

if it is the motherboard.. i have another pc tower laying about with an old cpu mobbo etc... question.. if i attach my hdd from the pc thats giving me the problems.. will it boot up still > cause im sure when i switched a hdd from 1 pc to another before i had to format the drive.. i have lots of stuff on this hdd that i would like to keep/backup ???

Yes if you switch the HDD it should boot up.
Anyways try your PSU on the old setup and see if it will boot up.
P.S add me on skype (you can see in my profile), I'll be able to reply faster there.

I had a similar problem just last week, although I had moved my tower something like five times in five days so that was the actual cause. What I found was that a few things jiggled loose. I'm not sure which was the actual culprit, but I took the opportunity to removed everything easily removable (memory, video card, etc) did a nice thorough cleaning and then I unplugged everything including power and data cables. After i put it all back in it worked fine. I'm fairly certain that my video card had unseated (heavy ArcticCool setup on it) and that had dragged my 4-pin mobo connected a little out of place.

So, perhaps you just need to reseat all cables, connectors and components. Can't hurt to give it a try.

There are a number of LEDS on that mobo. Four of them right in a row together toward the bottom edge of the mobo.

Here is the way to read the four reddish Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU
3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM
2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA
1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS
0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

Example: If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

Back