• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU/MoBo Suggestions please (upgrade)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syypher

Hi guys. Getting into Counterstrike again with my friends and I've been wanting to stream it. I currently have a AMD Phenom II X4 970 and I am constantly getting flickering using TwitchTV + XSplit.

I've monitored my CPU levels while I stream and play and they are all hitting 95-100% constantly. I've asked around to some other Counterstrike streamers and looked up some guides and a lot of them suggest 4x core hyperthreaded or 8 core AMD chips. Mine seems to be "behind the times" if I want to stream (not HD but decent quality) + game at the same time.

It's been 2 years since I've updated my RIG and was wondering if I could get any suggestions on a good MoBo/CPU combo that would fit my needs. I'd prefer to stay within a $400 budget. I really don't think anything else in my computer needs to be updated so just the MoBo/CPU suggestions please, unless you guys think otherwise!

Thanks ahead, you guys are really helpful :) Look forward to the answers.

My computer:
250 GB SSD
8x GB DDR3 RipJaw 1333mhz RAM
4x GB DDR3 RipJaw 1600mhz RAM (took it from my wifes old computer)
AMD Phenom II x4 970
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 Motherboard
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700
Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5

*Note: I could play doctor and give my wife my 970 and my AM3 motherboard and take her AM3+ (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521) Motherboard for a new AMD chip that has 8 cores to save $ but it's not really necessary. Just a thought... I've read a lot about intel being way ahead of AMD so whatever is the best suggestion please let me know :)

I said I had a $400 budget but saving $ isn't a bad thing :) With that said, that video capture card looks like an awesome idea. So does that have it's own software and stuff because I use xSplit right now. I'm not very familiar with how those work or what they do...does it function on it's own?

Also..would I be able to run it on my motherboard?

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, gray)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1

Are the slots I have on my MoBo. I use the x16 for my GPU already. Would that be able to go into the x4, gray PCIe slot?

Last edited:
It'll go in the x4 or the x1 slot, your choice.

And the update to work with XSplit fully integrated recently came out too! Thank you Knufire! I would have never even thought of this as a choice. I think this will serve the purposes of answering my streaming problems. :)

Back