• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Over Temperature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qwerty1232

Registered
Hi Guys.. can u help me out?

ive bought a new fan w/ heatsink for my cpu but the temperature is going over 100 C..

what can i do to reduce the temperature?

thanks for replies :)

Did you apply thermal paste?
That definitely sounds like an installation problem to me.
What's your CPU and which cooler do you have?

^^ first of all, don't turn your computer on until this is resolved. It really sounds like something went wrong during the installation. Even with the worst possible cooler you shouldn't be going over ~60 degrees on idle

over 100°C?

Turn that machine off immediatly!

And the give us some information on what CPU you use, what cooler you bought etc.

Did you forget the thermalpaste? Does it sit tight on the CPU?

edit: Oh two replies arlready, I left this tab open and forgot the time ;)

Last edited:
yes i did apply thermal paste..
i just bought the cooler from a hardware shop so i dont know the name :D

Is there no box for the cooler?
Can you take pictures of your cooler and how it is mounted?
I am pretty sure something went wrong during the install.
I assume you made sure the fan is working?

I bet the OP dosn't have the cooler pins locked down properly. I always take the mobo out to inspect the pins if they are properly locked, only from the bottom of the mobo can you tell.

I bet the OP dosn't have the cooler pins locked down properly. I always take the mobo out to inspect the pins if they are properly locked, only from the bottom of the mobo can you tell.

+1 also is there any kind of plastic film on the heatsink or processor you may have left on?

ive removed the plastic before putting it on..

ill remove the fan again and try :D

Remove the CPU cooler (thats what it's called) and the mobo. Put it on your lap, install the cooler and inspect the bottom to ensure all 4 pins are right.

Your welcome to use Google for install directions, must be a hundred videos on that.

Make sure the pins click into position and then take you hand and see if the heatsink fan will move at all, looks a little warm there 110c :eek:

I have secured the pins and put thermal paste.. but the temp is still hot.. :(

SAM_8515_zpsefadf939.jpg

If everything is correctly installed that temp is absurd. Starting to think maybe the thermal sensor is going nuts

This is the temperature reading when i cleaned all of its dust..

But when i play it reaches over 97 degrees C

SAM_8516_zps57bcc68d.jpg

Seriously, stop using it until you figure out what is wrong. I would try putting the sock heatsink back on. Something isn't right here and you are risking frying your chip if you continue using it.

+1 for mandrake

Until you are 100% everything is setup correctly, no malfunctions etc. I would assume something went wrong while mounting or something does not work properly before I'd take the risk of assuming the sensor is wrong.

Any possibility you can take your PC to the hardware shop and they set it up for you?

Back