• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU & PSU fan not keeping power

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FoxIX

Registered
The other day I was using my computer when it just suddenly froze on me. Everything was still on the screen, but I could not use the mouse or keyboard and a white noise was coming out of the speakers.

I could not even use the reset button or the on/off button and had to turn the computer off at the back.

When I turned it back on, I found that the psu and the cpu fan kicked in up to full speed and then stopped and then starts again. This is all it manages to do and does not get any further.

I have tried replacing the psu and this makes no difference and I have also replaced the thermal paste and cpu fan but this makes no difference.

Does anyone have any further suggestions of what I could do or what the problem could be?

TIA

p.s. This is a pre-built machine that I ordered (which has just expired on its guarantee)

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. I was hoping it wasn't though. heh. Any ideas what could have caused it? The last thing I want is for it to happen again after buying a new board and CPU.

Is this the system in your sig that you are having this problem with?

Yes it is unfortunately. I'm stuck with my laptop at the moment which means nothing labour intensive. Especially games!

Could be a bad cap that let go. It could possibly be the cpu or mem as well.
Check the boards caps, if one popped you should be able to see it. Unless it popped on the bottom.
Then if possible swap the cpu and mem, or swap the mobo if you have any spares avail.
As with almost all things, once the warranty is up they seem to want to give up the ghost.
Good luck

I have checked the motherboard very carefully. I cannot see any damage, swelling, bending, leaking or anything else.

And with warranty, it's a case of rock and a hard place. Costs a fortune, but can't do without it. hehe

Last edited:
With a problem such as this, should I purchase a new processor and try it with the motherboard currently in my computer or would this be a bad idea based on the possibility of there being a problem with the motherboard and maybe blowing the processor?

Try finding someone to help you test your rig with another rig so you don't waste your money for nothing

With a problem such as this, should I purchase a new processor and try it with the motherboard currently in my computer or would this be a bad idea based on the possibility of there being a problem with the motherboard and maybe blowing the processor?

you should know if you would suspect the processor item, the intels have thermal throttling.
if there was way extreeme voltages being applied,
if you were running really really hot , like 90C kinda hot
if the motherboard itself could even Cram in enough power to it ( a great motherboard might outlive the processor it can pump power into, a cheap motherbora might fail itself faster)
if the cooler came undone , like say a pin popped out, or it got lifted , a quick operation that might not be compensated for by the safety.
if there was a brownout, or spike of power, or a nice static arc from your hands
if when you removed the heatsink there was something really odd about the mating or tim pattern
if when you remove the processor you see visual changes in the bottom pins.

of those items, high voltage, and power problems could effect the board too, or even mostly.

soo, it is less likely to nuke a processor. What you feel , on how you were running it would improve the guess.

Last edited:
TorqueRanger: I don't know anyone else who has a computer (I know no-one into computers enough to have anything more than a simple laptop) so testing is out.

Psycogeec: I know I can eliminate most of your suggestions (which is good). I want to lean toward the temperature running hot. Even though I do have this cooler and at the time I was just browsing the internet. (It did tend to run hotter than I think it should be). And I did have thermal paste too (I have done this plenty of times okay).

Back