• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Shims?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightowl

I am just about to order myself a Thermalright AX-7 heatsink. I have read that a shim is good idea if using this heatsink. Should I get one, are there any good reasons to/not to?

The good old shim topic, have a search for previous threads on this topic for people general opinion. One great thread on this matter can be found here but if my opinion matters ( not that it should ) ... DON'T DO IT !!

a good scientific report on shims can also be found here

Last edited:
hey man,
i got an ax-7 with an 80mm delta. i used to have a shim in thier. and i had the good purple ones. i decided to see what would happen to my temps with i took it off. so i took the shim out and put some new as3 on and here is what i got.

With Shim: 40c
Without Shim: 35c

i dont know but i think i get better temps without it. hope that helps.

~Will

willlangford said:
hey man,
i got an ax-7 with an 80mm delta. i used to have a shim in thier. and i had the good purple ones. i decided to see what would happen to my temps with i took it off. so i took the shim out and put some new as3 on and here is what i got.

With Shim: 40c
Without Shim: 35c

i dont know but i think i get better temps without it. hope that helps.

~Will

i have the same setup ... i better try taking mine off too ! i know that ax-7 puts down alot of clamping force though .

Thanks to all of you who replied. Seeing those temp differences with and without the shim I am glad I didnt order one now. The heatsink will be arriving in next couple of days. Can't wait :D

nightowl said:
I am just about to order myself a Thermalright AX-7 heatsink. I have read that a shim is good idea if using this heatsink. Should I get one, are there any good reasons to/not to?

don't do it man. i have an ax-7. just be careful that is all. i seriously started tinkering with 2 systems i have at my feet. i have taken out, cleaned, re-applied thermal gunk prolly more times than i care to remember. just be careful.

be a man. say no to shims! ;)

just jokes.

Back