• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Thermal Compound...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nitro

Registered
right now im using whatever came with my volcano 7 and its kinda hot for me, its usally at 40 idle right now its hot so room temp is up so its 42, if i replaced it with a better one would it transfer the heat better and cool more? please lemme know what kind if i should or what can i do.... i got 2 80's.... 1 pos 1 neg and 2 120s.. 1 pos 1 neg... and mobo is around 23-24 and right now with this sudden heat its 27

The temp is not bad at all but if you want the best thermal paste then I would have to say Arctic Silver 3. I have been using it for quite some time. The temps seem to be lower than with just the normal paste.

yes, get artic silver 3. there is no single reason to buy anything else.

Actually, I'd skip the AS3 if you're using a high speed fan that can cause vibrations. The original review of it (can't remember where) showed that the compound actually shifted and left bare spots due to the fan's vibrations. AS3 takes 72 hours to completely settle.

~THT

Top Hat Theater said:
Actually, I'd skip the AS3 if you're using a high speed fan that can cause vibrations. The original review of it (can't remember where) showed that the compound actually shifted and left bare spots due to the fan's vibrations. AS3 takes 72 hours to completely settle.

~THT

Thats interesting. Its ashame you can't remember where that article is. Has anyone else seen that article? If so a link would be great.

im not getting any vibration really, maybe just on my outside 120s but thats it

The review Top Hat Theater referred to had a severely out of balance fan on the HS. Once the fan was replaced, there were no problems.

On a side note, Kyle at [H]ard OCP destroyed two AMD CPUs with out of balance fans. They vibrated so much the HS ground the corners of the CPU die. Kind of makes you wonder what percentage of AMD CPU failures are caused by out of balance fans? :eek:

Back