• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Voltage problems M3A78-EM / M4A78 PLUS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doritos93

Hello guys,

I've already posted this question on Asus forums and a few other o.c. forums without any real response.

Heres my setup:

ASUS M3A78-EM or M4A78-PLUS
X4 9850
4GB Corsair @ 333mhz
Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X
OCZ 600watt supply

Temps are around 38-40 idle, 50-52 load. Default vcore is 1.2500 on M3A78-Em and 1.3000 on M4A78-PLUS (don't ask me why the default voltage for the same CPU is different on boards from the same manufacturer).

If I raise the FSB/Vcore and create a load (either via AOD or Prime95) after a few seconds, my cpu voltage/multiplier drops and consequently so does my clock speed. The multiplier is divided by two, and the voltage is brought down to 1.000 - 1.005. This happens for a few seconds, and then default settings are brought back and the stress test continues.

The drops in voltage occur more frequently depending on how high I raise the voltage (more drops the higher I go). My board allows me to give max 1.4500 I think.

On ASUS forums, I read some people's complaints blaming the problem on ASUS. Although they seemed to all have the same generation CPU. Could this be ASUS wanting to support a laundry lists of CPUs but cutting back as soon as the CPU draws too much power?

Anyone see this before? Any work arounds or volt mods? Can anything be done to the board physically to stop this from occurring except whipping it out a window?

Oh and any power saving features have been turned off. This problem only occurs under load.

Any help is appreciated.

I wonder if some kind of overheat protection throttling is going on.

I though so too, although it happens anywhere between 50 - 60 degrees.

AMD says the chips max is 60 degrees Celsius.

I'm gonna see if I can sell this old power hungry chip and get a PhenomII.
I have a feeling its drawing too much power from these mickey mouse asus boards.

Back