• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Crucial / Mushkin ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Planning to upgrade my RAM :D

I thinking to get either Mushkin / Crucial.

Mind giving me your rating on this two brands ? ( not comparing ea other but just a rating on what you think about the this two brands ) According with this ratings.

1) Best of the BEST ! Must GET !
2) Average
3) Horrible
4) Avoid if you VALUE YOUR LIFE !

Example how to rate

Mushkin : 1
Crucial : 3

Sorry to burst your bubble, but why not Corsair Ram instead!

Boooring , always Corsair =/

I myself own a Corsair casing lol , its so bored to follow what everyone else is using its too common , i want to be kinda individual if possible :D

Since no one here actually even heard of Mushkin TBH , nor Crucial and i heard they are some quite professional RAM manufacturers too

So i planning to go for them :thup:

i would give Mushkin :2 Crucial :2

+1 for corsair i had some old sticks sitting in a draw for almost 5 years that had burned out nearly 4 years earlier and sent them back to them they replaced them with 4 sticks of DDR3 dominators at twice the capacity for free.

when you have support like that and a fantastic product you really cant ask for anymore.

I would pick Mushkin 2133 CL9 1.65V or CL10 1.50V kits if you want high frequency ram and Crucial tracer/tracer tactical/ elite 1600/1866 1.35/1.50V if you want lower clocks but tight timings.
There is no better RAM under DDR3-2000 on market than new Crucial series.
Also Crucial has great support for both RAM and SSD. I have no experience with Mushkin support as in Poland all go through distribution and almost noone is selling Mushkin anyway.

Crucial is made by Micron Technology who has been making computer tech for decades.

I don't know why they rebranded their memory, had I known it was Micron I'd have bought it over my Corsair RAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micron_Technology

LOL , in that case why buy Corsair might as well just go for Mushkin , just like their PSU. I go for Seasonic since they make for Corsair too !

But i heard Crucial its world's TOP 1 brand ?

I would pick Mushkin 2133 CL9 1.65V or CL10 1.50V kits if you want high frequency ram and Crucial tracer/tracer tactical/ elite 1600/1866 1.35/1.50V if you want lower clocks but tight timings.
There is no better RAM under DDR3-2000 on market than new Crucial series.
Also Crucial has great support for both RAM and SSD. I have no experience with Mushkin support as in Poland all goes through distribution and almost noone is selling Mushkin anyway.

lol , im going out that hardcore on RAM , just want to pick out a 8GB kit , 1600mhz.

Since im using a normal RAM now no heatsink nothing , doesn't look so good.

For Mushkin i been aiming their Blackline since it matches my black build.

Crucial i was aiming for BalistiX Sport actually. I wanted to get Tracer but its bit overprice to me, i mean just for the extra LED lights i have to pay 40+ more here for them compare to all other RAM like Corsair / GSkill / Mushkin etc (same spec)

My post : What you guys think about PATRIOT ? We don't have it here though , but it seems popular over at US :shrug:

Very sorry to be boring, but when i find something that works i stick with it. Woomack thanks for the info on the Ram Bro. AJ. ;)

"My gran use to say if it aint broken dont fix it". :thup:

Sport series is just standard RAM. If you want something above average then go for Ballistix Tracer. If you want LEDs then Tracer Tactical and if you like tall heatspreaders and thermal sensors then Elites. There is new Tracer low profile series on newer chips - 1600 8-8-8 1.35V kits. Bobnova made review here.

About mushkin... these 2133 kits are still in the same old specification made for sandy bridge. Both black and red series are on the same chips , difference is only in XMP profiles and voltage but both will overclock about the same. There are new 2400 series but I haven't seen them in stores yet.

About patriot. They have probably worst IC selection on market. You can buy 2 the same kits and both will overclock totally different even though IC will have the same specification. Good example is 2133 Viper 3 series. Some are clocking up to 2700 and some are barely passing 2400 ... there were even some kits that came for reviews and couldn't run stable at stock XMP settings ;)

IMO Corsair>Crucial>Mushkin

You mean Dominators are better than the others ;) Vengeance is just standard RAM without anything special and with poor quality heatspreaders.
Some years ago you could find lot of people saying that Mushkin is making best RAM. Now they just don't have anything special so noone is talking about them.

As I am also shopping for RAM right now, what would you say is the best buy for the old nehalem platform? I've been shopping 2x8GB @1600MHz kits on newegg because it's what's in my budget. Also, perhaps answer a question about CAS latency here? :)

Ram is ram for 99% of people, including the OP. Grab some DDR3 1600MHz and call it a day. Dont make it harder than it needs to be.

Brand doesnt matter (unless you are benchmarking) for the most part.

What EarthDog said is correct ( and looks like its his favourite sentence lately :D ) but if you want best available memory for nehalem then Crucials mentioned in this thread are best just because you can easily run them @1600 7-7-7-20 1.6-1.65V or up to 1866 8-8-8 1.60-1.65V ( that's for 1600 8-8-8 1.50V or 1866 9-9-9 1.50V kits ).
All other available IC are running with looser timings and voltage won't help much.

What EarthDog said is correct ( and looks like its his favourite sentence lately :D ) but if you want best available memory for nehalem then Crucials mentioned in this thread are best just because you can easily run them @1600 7-7-7-20 1.6-1.65V or up to 1866 8-8-8 1.60-1.65V ( that's for 1600 8-8-8 1.50V or 1866 9-9-9 1.50V kits ).
All other available IC are running with looser timings and voltage won't help much.

OK! Good to know. So... to tune CAS timings down, you need to increase voltage? Is there anything else that should be considered?

Here is my Elite 1600 C8 thread with some results on 1155. Now I'm running 4 sticks on R3E @1680 7-7-7-20 1.64V ( they need a bit higher voltage on X58 than on Z77 ) and it's working in triple channel without problems.

Sport are lower series and I'm not sure how are they clocking but it will be fine for everything anyway. Most important that you like them.

Yeah... as many times as I have said it, is as many times as the question has been posted. Its non issue that people make an issue. :D

Ram is ram for 99% of people, including the OP. Grab some DDR3 1600MHz and call it a day. Dont make it harder than it needs to be.

Brand doesnt matter (unless you are benchmarking) for the most part.

I guess this is the best answer lol.

Im upgrading its just because im using a normal RAM , which doesn't have a cool looking Heatsink , im not going to OC or anything.

Timing isn't important to me neither ( i barely understand how it works affect your performance ) , as long its compatible and it doesn't crash / BSOD etc im happy with them lol , then of course also with a reasonable price tag !

Besides what i heard if your only gaming, the speed etc doesn't make a difference, no ?

Another thing is the goal I made this post its just wondering what people think about Crucial / Mushkin RAM , for they aren't many people who use them.

As most usually go for Corsair / GSkill RAM instead.

But every RAM its basically the same from what i heard.

Some proclaim ( not me but somewhere i read ) , if you get like a Corsair 4GB + GSkill 4GB , 1600mhz , same timing and everything and it will still work fine , for they are all the same thing with only different names.

But I guess this are lower end RAM it will work , maybe higher end one like Dominator / Sniper etc, might have big difference im not sure :shrug:

Back