• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom loop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Why is it such a big deal and people saying so expensive? Can't you just run to your local ace hardware, buy a few feet of copper pipe, like for the fridge water supply, a few couplers and route it however you like?

For the pump you could just use those water pumps they sell for a wetsaw over at home depot! For the radiator, eh by the time it finishes the loop, it'll be cool again, or get something at auto parts?

I'm being quite serious, I just read some suggestions that it may be ultra expensive, so I decided to start an educational Taco thread, please skool me on the topic. :)

People say it is expensive because it is a very Niche market . So We pay more for things .
Back in the day before main stream water cooling parts we did exactly as you say .
PPL took copper blocks cut groves in with a saw/dremmel/drill to make blocks . They used aquarium pumps and crap PVC soft tubing ( much cheeper than Copper pipes , Some ppl have made some what geothermal with copper pipes berried in there yard as a cooling loop ) . PPL also use to make swamp/bong coolers think 4inch pipe with a shower head letting the water fall down the pipe and cool . ( you can reach sub ambient temps with these )

Its cost now as we have pre made gear that uses common sizes . Most parts in a Loop will cost 50-100 dollars . 500$ for a decent custom loop is seen as alot vs a 100$ air cooler/nice fan .

But I have never had a system that I could push as far on air as I could with water .

For me these days, its all about how much my time is worth. Years ago, I made my own copper blocks, used a Bonneville heater core, aquarium pump, and cheap soft tube from the hardware store. The project took weeks to complete and way too many hours to source parts, make it work, and make it look half way nice. For me, $500 - $1000 is worth it to have exactly what I need to build a loop in 1 afternoon not to mention it looks better than what I could personally cobble together. I say go the diy route if you're up for a challenge and want to flex your creativity. I enjoyed the experience, but I will say it's only something that I wanted to do once.

Great, thank you, Console and Corpse. I do understand both the aesthetics argument and "time worth". Both can be valid when you decide to do diy or pre-made components.

Yes custom making pieces would be fun but in the long run it probably would cost about the same and take too much time considering the maintenance of pieces not designed for long term use. Plus the cost of a custom loop is manageable as long as you don't buy the expensive fittings and "custom" fluids everyone seems to think are required these days. A CPU loop with tubing, barb fittings w/ clamps, blocks, pump/res combo and radiator can be made for a couple hundred bucks and perform just as good as some expensive setup. It's when you get into the fancy fittings that the price gets out of hand.

My first w/c build was a single heatercore with a Danner Mag aquarium pump and a Danger Den block. I think the whole thing cost me $150.00 and would still work fine today I'm sure. It just wouldn't be as pretty. If you want to build one just read a bunch and don't get sucked into the mindset that you have to have the most expensive and have to use special fluids and fittings and you will be fine. Or you could just buy a Swiftech AIO for $150 and get the same pieces a custom loop uses all setup for you. Screw it in and be done.

Here is my cheapo H2O setup I use for benching, Rad has 6 2200 Rpm fans on it "not shown" Dannar Mag drive 750 gph pump, Ek block and 5 gal kitty litter bucket. Maybe cost me $125.00. Ugly as hell but with the rad out the window in the winter I've seen -15c water temps. I also added garden hose fittings to the tubing so I can attach the water cooled Gpu to it for 3D benching.
outside h20.jpg

Here is my cheapo H2O setup I use for benching, Rad has 6 2200 Rpm fans on it "not shown" Dannar Mag drive 750 gph pump, Ek block and 5 gal kitty litter bucket. Maybe cost me $125.00. Ugly as hell but with the rad out the window in the winter I've seen -15c water temps. I also added garden hose fittings to the tubing so I can attach the water cooled Gpu to it for 3D benching.
Love it! Would you consider that a closed loop because the litter bucket has a lid? ;)

Wow, are you also pumping crude oil from the gulf? You know, side job..

What a rig!!

Wow, are you also pumping crude oil from the gulf? You know, side job..

What a rig!!
Need to put antifreeze in the line so it doesn't freeze up with the NY winters. Benching it today on my 1800x here's the water temp with it being 10f (-12c) outside
-8.1c.jpg

Back