• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom ps3 60gb cooling with liquid or fans?for Ylod preventing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sewershark

if someone going to ask why did i post this here and not on ps3 siite is because overclocking and cooling is a much more common task for pc so expect more accurate and expert answers here

i just bought a new Ps3 60gb ntsc on ebay.co.uk yesterday i will be doing this because want to avoid heating and the common yellow light of the deth (very common if not certain within a year more or less on this console version)

still did not receive the ps3 yet,these are my plans for cooling it:

the hard and maybe the better way change its heatsink with:

1) 2 big passive heatsink adding to them any way a fan each on rsx and cell,the fan will be mounted from the side not on top of the sink,so air will be thrown out of the console from the front window on the cosnole casing

2)still did not made my mind on choosing the above method or using liquid but that would have to take lot of elements like hoses,pump,radiators and reservoir ,consider that all those thing will be chosen on there shape and dimensions to make them fit inside the console and not outside,i saw there is some space on the top and in the bottom between mainboard and the glossy housing

3)changing the power supply to a aps-231 because it produces less heat than the one it has

4)applying external fans

Plan B the easy way:

doing just 3) and 4)

Questions:

1)will plan B be enough ?

2)from the pictures i posted what kind of adapters,coolers or opinions some of you would suggest

any opinion will be appreciated . . . but consider that all the coolers must go inside the console casing and i don't want to make holes in the case as somebody does,fans and/or radiators will stick on the console apertures but from the inside

Thanks
pictures are taken from the web

Attachments

• external Fans.jpg
    external Fans.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 23,579
  • 29.JPG
    29.JPG
    315.5 KB · Views: 10,036
  • spce for liquid cooling equipment..JPG
    spce for liquid cooling equipment..JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 19,127
  • ps3in.jpg
    ps3in.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 11,651
i thought xbox360 was the only console with poorly designed cooling. i would just open up the intake and exhaust vents by cuttung away the grills and hook up some extra fans and blow out dust from the heatsinks every so often. watercooling seems excessive for a console.

i thought xbox360 was the only console with poorly designed cooling. i would just open up the intake and exhaust vents by cuttung away the grills and hook up some extra fans and blow out dust from the heatsinks every so often. watercooling seems excessive for a console.

could you explain to me better please ,considerations you will have to take are these,i am noob when it come to cool a pc or console,my english is a little bad and this console will heat a lot more than a xbox360 maybe because of its 90nm processors (cell and rsx) and it will be certainly a countdown for its life if i wont do the mod for it

so no water cooling ok but i will need big heatsinks that will be more efficient than the big one it already have . . .

thanks

could you explain to me better please ,considerations you will have to take are these,i am noob when it come to cool a pc or console,my english is a little bad and this console will heat a lot more than a xbox360 maybe because of its 90nm processors (cell and rsx) and it will be certainly a countdown for its life if i wont do the mod for it

so no water cooling ok but i will need big heatsinks that will be more efficient than the big one it already have . . .

thanks

i would,

1. replace the thermal interface material on the processors with some high quality thermal interface material.

2. remove the lattice work of the air intake and exhaust with some snips and attach fans to push air into the case and across the heatsink.

3. make sure everything is dust free inside the case and on the heatsink with monthly or so compressed air cleaning.

if the problem is anything like what causes xbox360 rrod then it is an inadequate amount of airfolw across the heatsink. if you can get sufficient air across the heat sink and keep the heatsink relatively dust free then it should not over heat.

I know its fcking late. But my 40gb fat ps3 just got that fcking YLOD. opened it up, fan was still working fine. it was well ventilated. looked at the design properly. Don't even bother with the extra air cooler.There is no way of any air going into the system. the side is blocked up and covered by the motherboard inside, the holes don't do jack. The holes in the front don't do jack. Anyone thinking of buying those fcking little after market cooling fans will get bum raped. Leaving it standing up don't do siht

For water cooling. Best to buy universal chipset water blocks. 2 x 40mm square blocks with L connectors. anything bigger you will have to start cutting stuff. They have adjustable hinges. I have a 2x 40mm radiator. You have 30mm space from the mother board to the bottom to play with. That rad I bought is 25mm depth. It fits perfectly inside. I bought a notebook cooler with 18cm fan from Ebay. ps3 will sit on top with holes underneath and a cut out for the radiator. That one fan will pull air cooling the radiator and the motherboard. Fan is using the original connection for the old fan. Am using car boost pipes as they are much more flexible and indestructible. Bought a 70x70x75mm 150lph reservoir and in-tank pump. That will sit bolted to the side of the ps3 neatly. The pump can also run from the old fan connection, Both of them will need total of 1amp. That connection has about 1.75amps to spare. Also a 40x25mm temp gauge will sit where the SD card cover is on a 60gb ps3. Ive also done this to my Xbox 360 but with bigger rad and pump. found out after it was a overkill so decided to buy small bits for this as its not as bad as the 360.

My Xbox 360 Ran 25 degrees Celsius and under after water cooling in UK summer, before it was like 75 degrees Celsius and over. Even if the ps3 runs 30 degrees Celsius, not enough to do siht to the solders.

May want to edit that post before a mod sees it. Normally trying to get around a swearing filter is not a good idea.

Back to topic, I never even thought of extra cooling on my PS3's. My 60gb died a horrible death after only 2 years..

Back