• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Daemon Tools Lite- Malware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakstave

When I was setting up my Ubuntu Machine I needed to fix an ISO image, and so I downloaded Daemon Tools Lite. I did a custom install and very carefully DID NOT CHECK THE BOX for the Daemon Search Toolbar...

And sure enough, there it was. Daemon Search toolbar on my IE.

I went to uninstall the toolbar:
No entries.

I went to uninstall Daemon Tools:
No entries.

What happened to Daemon tools? Practically the only programs that 'hide' their install in the add/remove list are malware and spyware.

I went the Daemon Tools site, and the responses to this issue were cagey at best. At one point they made reference that the toolbar is "always there". (WTF!)

A sticky was posted on the Daemon tools:
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f33/tutorial-removing-all-search-toolbars-firefox-ie-21703/

Is this the best/only way to get rid of the toolbar and Daemon tools? I'm feeling distrustful of anything they say at this point, and it doesn't appear to actually remove anything.

You didn't "very carefully uncheck" that box, or it wouldn't have installed. I've been using Daemon Tools on many computers that have had the OS reinstalled many times, and have downloaded the installer of many versions many times, and it will NOT install the toolbar if you tell it not to.

You didn't "very carefully uncheck" that box, or it wouldn't have installed. I've been using Daemon Tools on many computers that have had the OS reinstalled many times, and have downloaded the installer of many versions many times, and it will NOT install the toolbar if you tell it not to.

Actually I did :p... As it turns out the Daemon Search is not the Toolbar. They altered my browser by adding a search bar, and made their own site the default search. I apologize for mis-stating, I've never seen the Daemon Toolbar so I didn't know what I was looking at.

The sticky in the link above simply removes that extra Search bar feature from the browser, OR you can reassign the search bar to your own search engine.

This is an exceedingly poor tactical move on the part of Daemon Tools. Yeah, it's easy to fix. But that doesn't change the fact that Daemon Tools has no business messing with my browser!!!!! Apparently they also have a bug in this software that changes the browser settings that causes real problems for FF users according to their own website.

I don't keep a search bar on IE. Never have. My homepage is Google, so I don't need it. Essentially Daemon Tools changed my browser, and I have to make a registry change to change it back the way it was.

Not OK in my book. But not Malware thankfully.

Edit: the uninstall utility is located in the program folder. I have no idea why they hide the install from 'Add/Delete programs'.

Last edited:
Actually I did :p... As it turns out the Daemon Search is not the Toolbar. They altered my browser by adding a search bar, and made their own site the default search. I apologize for mis-stating, I've never seen the Daemon Toolbar so I didn't know what I was looking at.

Actually, you didn't. Please observe:

dt.png

There are two boxes that must be unchecked.

Edit: the uninstall utility is located in the program folder. I have no idea why they hide the install from 'Add/Delete programs'.

Because search providers and toolbars are removed from within IE, not Add/Remove Programs.

dt2.png
dt3.png

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, i have that daemon crap too. Definitely agree that they shouldn't be messing with my IE.

Thank you Alucard, It's the confusion it caused that bothers me the most now. I was not the only person who thought the sudden appearance of a search box in my browser, + the lack of entries in the control panel add/delete screen = Adware/Malware on my machine.

Now I understand what they meant by it's 'always there'. But they were being intellectually dishonest, because there was was no search bar at all until I installed Daemon Tools.

I like Daemon Tools, and now I regret the title of this thread. I'm sure they are an honorable company, this is just... tacky.

I just installed daemon the otherday, I unchecked the boxes listed, and no search box. After install IE pops up with something, help page on the site maybe? I close it.

Using their search engine and stuff helps them pay for hosting of the free software they provide.

If they did not have a paid version I would probably try out search engine (no toolbars for me though, I have a button/address bar/search box and one line for tab, no menu bar, nothing else. With only 1200 pixels height on a monitor I need all the vertical space I can get (which Is why I try and only block ads at the top of a page too ones on the side are not a problem for me.

@ petteyg...

I appreciate the correction petteyg, I don't remember my install dialogue looking that way... but that doesn't mean it wasn't there! I'm going to repeat the install tonight, and be more careful about it. Mea Culpa.

-However, you are taking part of the first post, combining it with part of the second post, and making a conflict that doesnt' exist.

I've already explained that I realized it wasn't the toolbar I was looking at, ergo quoting that browser settings aren't in the program list is redundant. I already realized by my second post that it was a browser setting that caused the problem, and I've already posted how to fix it! Your second quote of mine is talking about the program itself, not the toolbar, not the browser search bar.

But I hear you: Be more careful when installing software!

Edit: Well, you almost had me convinced my memory was shot. But here's my screenshot from the install:

ScreenHunter_02Feb131219.gif

There is no entry for the Search Bar. It installed it automatically w/o my permission. My complaint stands.

Last edited:
My solution was to use Daemon Tools 4.10 and quit upgrading. That version still tries to include the search bar, but when you uncheck it, it doesn't mess with anything else. No search provider, no integrating with IE, or any of that crap.

From what I can tell, Peteyg is using Vista. It could be that Vista's security won't allow this crappy behavior, so they added it as an option. I'm speculating here, but that's the only reason I can theorize why the same version of the same program offers a choice in one OS, and not in another.

Thanks Thrashbarg. You know, I think I have that version on a disc here somewhere...edit: Nope.

Last edited:
You know, I think I have that version on a disc here somewhere...

If you don't still have it, you can get it off FileHippo, and OldVersion has 4.03 which IIRC works just as well. I'm not sure if it will work with Vista, but for anyone on XP, I think it's a much better option than the newer versions.

You are a Gentleman and a Scholar Old Thrashbarg. :beer: (This is Rig #2 in my sig: XP.)

Last edited:
In that case, the second screenshot I provided still applies. That is where you remove search providers from IE.

In that case, the second screenshot I provided still applies. That is where you remove search providers from IE.

Not really. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only in Vista, yes? (Edit: Now that I think about it if I was using Vista, wouldn't have happened in the first place!)

In XP, open this key in the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Infodelivery\Restrictions

And create a dword value named "NoSearchBox" and set it to 1. The search box will be gone. Set it back to 0 and it will be back again.

Last edited:
Here's the installer in XP SP3. Still has both checkboxes.

dt4.png

For browser add-ons in XP, go to Internet Options > Programs and click the "Manage add-ons" button at the bottom. Slightly different interface than Vista. Search providers in XP is done pretty much same as Vista. Click the button to the right of the search box, and click "Change search defaults".

I'd suggest checking your system for other malware that may be altering installer screens. Run Spybot, SpywareBlaster, AdAware, HijackThis, etc. Might try another anti-virus, too.

Also, did you download it from anywhere other than the homepage?

Last edited:
Not really. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only in Vista, yes? (Edit: Now that I think about it if I was using Vista, wouldn't have happened in the first place!)...

You can do it the same way in XP if you are using IE7

If you are using IE6... well then no search box anyway :)

Its its not called "manage..." It is called "Change search defaults" in XP just click the little down arrow next to the magnifying glass in the search box. Same location, the last option is to change search.

You can also

Tools>Internet Options>Search section "Settings"

Guys, I just have no explanation for this. I downloaded this from Daemon tools homepage.. It's a fresh install of service pack 3. I'm as curious as you are. On my iPhone now, but will repeat the process later.

Edit: I still don't see any way to REMOVE the bar in IE without using the registry tweak. I don't want any search bar, not just to change search provider.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, all I can say is: The mystery deepens.

Firstly, there is a misunderstanding about the search box. I ALWAYS configure IE to not have a search box. I dont' use them. I dont' like them. Several posts here have indicated I could remove the box through IE settings. If you can, I don't see it. You can CHANGE the search provider, but you can't ELIMINATE the search box unless you have a trick up your sleeves that I'm just not seeing.

The way you have IE without a Search Box, is during the set up dialogue for IE. The first time you run IE, it will ask you to set the default search provider. If you continue on the screen to choose a provider, and instead close the window without choosing anything you will have IE with no Search Box!

If, however you have already chosen a search provider, you will need to do the registry tweak I've listed above.

Now back to the heart of the matter. Just to be thorough, I've run virus and malware scans on the computer. This is a fresh install, so really this is just to put that one to bed.

My system has no spyware, adware or viruses.

The copy of Daemon tools is from their homepage. I can see it in my history folder. This is the legitimate website.

Now, why am I seeing different behavior than PetteyG? Perhaps if you set IE without a search box, the install program doesn't show it as a choice, yet still installs it.

In any case, this is a real issue. In some installs of XP SP3, (in this case, XP upgrade from 98SE) Daemon Tools Lite appears to be installing the default search provider without permission.

ScreenHunter_01Feb141502.gif

Whether this is a bug, a quirk or by design, I have no way of knowing. But I can demonstrate that it is real.

For users of Daemon tools, it's just important to notice whether or not you are given the option, and to remember that if you haven't, the choice is going to made for you anyway.

If you already have a Default Search Provider, changing it back to your favorite is not a big deal.

If like me, you configure IE with no Search box, you will have to go through a more complex process.

Last edited:
Gotcha, I never heard of anyone wanting to remove the search box enitrely before. Very interesting, sorry for the miscommunication.

Well hopefully you get this sorted out. I have not witnessed this problem on other instlals of XP, but obviously something is going on with the install.

If this is a problem in the new software its good to get the information out there :)

It's most likely a problem with IE not setting things up properly when the Search isn't configured. If IE doesn't set registry keys and such, then other applications have no way to find out what IE is doing, and the installer probably bugs out when it can't find some part of IE's Search box. Possibly something that InstallShield could make a workaround for. Daemon Tools is the least likely thing to be at fault here. Not saying you're doing anything wrong, oakstave, just want people who Google Daemon Tools and end up reading this thread to not assume Daemon Tools is a trojan malware installer.

Back